Welcome to The Lord Of The Craft

We're currently the #1 Minecraft Roleplaying Server, fitted with custom plugins, a unique crafting system, custom character cards and an incredibly active and passionate community; We're serious about Roleplay and we're always eager for new faces!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Данстан

[RP Alchemy] Feedback Needed

15 posts in this topic

Coming out of a episode of server drama, alchemy has been torn from the cold dead hands of the late Megaruza (God bless her soul) and placed into mine.

Alchemy as a whole has been written by multiple writers over the course of years with varying standards of writing and varying standards of RP. This makes it a huge project and I need to know the opinions of both alchemists and non-alchemists alike.

What things in alchemy do you enjoy and would like to see more of? What things do you dislike and would like gone?

Alchemy will remain intended to be easier to get into than magic is, but there are several abusable things in alchemy. What types of things do you think should have more effort and scrutiny placed on? Horror stories are appreciated.

Make a definitive, canon guide as to how Alchemist's Fire works so whenever there's a dispute over how it works someone can link it and then everyone will know "okay this is how alchemist's fire works"

It's an easily abusable item RPly, please sort this out

As an alchemist, I am looking for more expansion and explanations about the other "scientific" and metallic parts of alchemy.

Alchemy, I feel, is lacking on lore concerning metals. A huge goal of alchemy is the transmutation of lead into goal, and finding the Philosopher's stone, while the server is much more oriented toward potions-making, the elixir of life, and nature. Don't get me wrong, those parts of alchemy are essential and worth it (how else would we make potions and drinks?) but at least some sort of more information - or lore or something - on transmutation, the philosopher stone, metals, and chemical reactions would make it better. My character, for example, is much more interested in turning lead into gold than creating the elixir of life. I'm not saying that transmutation it has to be possible, but it would be nice to flesh out the philosopher's stone and metallic aspects more. Currently, blacksmithing and metallurgy is the only way I can learn about metals, etc, and I can''t really sadly consult alchemist lore for that.  Alchemy was the medieval forerunner of chemistry ... so

AH YES THANK YOU I SHALL WRITE A POST WHEN I ARRIVE HOME YOU ARE MY SAVIOR 

Edit:

I've RP'd alchemy for almost all of my time on the server, which is just a little over two years now.  There have been so many times where I've just winged it on how certain potions work or are actually made in RP, since all we've really been given [to my knowledge] is just what symbols are used in alchemy, not actual instructions like you're cooking something.  Here's a post I made a little while ago where I asked for some clarification on a lot of things in alchemy: 

And here's a comment I made to a post Meg made on our view of alchemy:

What are your thoughts on RP Alchemy? What do you think could be improved/changed? Perceived benefits and disadvantages? 

I really wish there'd be a post or at least something that won't include searching through various pages on the wiki to give clarity on potion effects and how they are properly made, along with the use of herbal ingredients.  I recall seeing sources describing how to use blissfoil by slicing down the center of the thick stalks [length-wise] and using that to treat people; collecting the copious amount of oil at the base of all of the petals on the flower [or perhaps by boiling the petals in water so the oil could be collected and separated]; by grinding the petals in with a mortar and pestle until an oily paste is formed; or by just plucking the petals off of the flower and pressing them over what needs numbing for a certain amount of time.

For potion effects and for how potions are used, I've seen many other ways on how they're given to people - especially ones meant for treating the injured.  I've seen people give certain potions to others to drink to experience its effects, while others, including me, have applied most potions directly onto the specific area that needed to be mended.  Clarifying or giving specific directions on how potions are made would be extremely helpful as well, in my opinion.   I've had to RP the process of making several different types of potions and felt like I sort of just had to wing it, since there was no correct way given, which I didn't enjoy doing.

Please also make a post showing all lore approved potions.  I would have tried to make a post/submission clarifying the use of potions if I was able to see all of them.

What are your thoughts on Nexus Alchemy? What do you think could be improved/changed based on interactions with RP alchemy? Perceived benefits and disadvantages?

I don't like how people need to grind alchemy mechanically in order to have the ability to make potions even though they're skilled in doing it in RP.  My character is around one-hundred and sixty and she's been working with alchemy ever since she was in her early twenties, and it doesn't make sense for her to completely lose the ability to brew potions after moving over to a new land.  I never really bothered to try and grind alchemy again after coming to this map, I had worked hard enough for the last one and wasn't wanting to waste my time again for this one.

Do you feel that the same should be exactly the same outside of how the potions are made (RP vs Nexus) and utilized (RP vs PvP)? Or do you think there should be differences?  

I think that they should be the same for how they're used both in RP and PvP, because then people would begin to get mixed up with the two uses and certain RP situations would begin to not make sense.  

Do you think mechanical representation should be required for all potions and poisons? Or just certain high impact ones like alchemist's fire?

I say that potions used commonly for combat should have mechanical representations so people can't pull one out of their asses when they're in a sticky situation like alchemist's fire or stoneskin, and even some poisons that can kill or paralyze almost instantly.  I don't typically keep mechanical representations of healing potions on me, but I don't RP having every single one on me for the sake of fairness.  I do, however, keep a few in my enderchest in case someone complains about it, so I could then just take it out.

I'd offer to take part in the discussion of alchemy, but I don't believe I have the time anymore.  I've been busy with some other things.

now my font is stuck as this since it won't let me change anything from a comment i made on my phone.  curse you, forums!!!

I want a more magical science vibe to it.

Expand on alchemy beyond potions and creatures k thanks

Spoiler

Dadstan my life is in your hands

I've tried rp'ing alchemy, but without a good, complete guide on how it works and it's limits, it is very hard.

And by rp'ing alchemy, I don't only mean creating creatures and the effects of potions, but also making the potions, and creating non nexus potions.

As someone who plays an alchemist i find it extremely hard to rp it correctly and I'm constantly second guessing myself and asking for help on what **** does, i find myself creating the potions MCly and just leaving them there in a chest RPly cause i don't know how to use them correctly. A guide needs to be made to give people a better understanding on how alchemy should be used in rp.

I just want to rewrite it, make it more like chemistry.

Posted (edited)

In terms of herbs and potions, I absolutely love the nuances of alchemy. Learning the effects of something, how well it works under differing circumstances, what happens when I use these two things in conjunction, all that. This being said, I feel it could be much expanded upon, in terms of practicality anyway.

I also believe there should be further emphasis on other factors of alchemy. Alchemists are scientists. They don't just make beverages, medication, and artificial beings. There's countless directions you could take it in.

Edited by ThatGuy_777

Medical alchemy bothers me, as I've had many times in which an alchemist's potion simply regenerated flesh no problem by dripping it on! Practically Cleric level healing, so I think it should be clearly stated the effects of a potion!

9 minutes ago, arakrsptec said:

Medical alchemy bothers me, as I've had many times in which an alchemist's potion simply regenerated flesh no problem by dripping it on! Practically Cleric level healing, so I think it should be clearly stated the effects of a potion!

Oh yeah, i'm definitely nerfing the hell out of that.

Make it so everything in alchemy can be found in a handful of definitive, easy-to-find places, both on the forums and the wiki. There are a bunch of potions that got approval in the past and are mentioned in IC books yet have never actually been documented on the forums. That is an issue that needs to be resolved.

That is my only real piece of feedback.

jk also don't make it more witcher-esque since once upon a time there were folks who wanted to turn alchemy into a witcher style potion system.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, ExplorerEze said:

Alchemy, I feel, is lacking on lore concerning metals. A huge goal of alchemy is the transmutation of lead into goal, and finding the Philosopher's stone,

3 hours ago, ExplorerEze said:

but at least some sort of more information - or lore or something - on transmutation, the philosopher stone, metals, and chemical reactions would make it better

We're not fullmetal alchemist.

Transmutation is part of transfiguration and is magic, separated from alchemy. Metals work as irl metals do in this context, as well as chemical reactions. The philosophers stone isnt a thing.

Edited by Fury_Fire

2 hours ago, Fury_Fire said:

We're not fullmetal alchemist.

Transmutation is part of transfiguration and is magic, separated from alchemy. Metals work as irl metals do in this context, as well as chemical reactions. The philosophers stone isnt a thing.

abcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabc

Alchemy isn't just fullmetal alchemist. And the Philosophers stone has been a thing in so many alchemy lores. I agree with the transmutation thing, that one shouldn't be an alchemy thing.

Anyways. I had a small time where I was roleplaying my alchemy. But I never quite enjoyed it because of the lack of explanations in the forum and wiki lore on how things work. Alchemy should be more science + maybe a bit magic. 

There should be more lore on the herbs and more explanations on where they can be found both ICly and OOCly. There should also be more explanations om how they are used by themselves and how you blend them with a potion both ICly and OOcly. Make it more enjoyable rp. And people shouldn't have to grind alchemy mechanically if they can make it in rp.

Make a "Dummy book" for alchemists that explains most of the things that is needed. Cause hell... I've been trying to get into the roleplay side of it but I just give up everytime cause it is so confusing.