Zephonim Revision & Addition

Babehab

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/159346-zephonim-the-poison-ailed/#comment-1507243

Foreword

Perhaps due to my excitement, or due to it being my first lore piece, I found that there are several holes  and oversights that I seek to remedy with this addition. The clarification section is a compiled list of answers to oversights or otherwise poor design choice.

The section of additions is a compiled list of answers to much bigger oversights that cannot be patched by simple explanation, primarily the lack of incentive to play a Bulwark and the complete inability to manage the Zephonim from an in-character standpoint.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clarifications

Spoiler

Prohibited Magic List

Paladinism

Clercism

Fi’

- Regardless of how many magics they know, Tremere have the strength of a mostly sedentary person.

-Bulwarks are unable to cast magic due to having never had their body conditioned for magic before their transformation. As the form of a Zephonim is already ill-suited for magic (Evident by the stunted Tremere), Bulwarks become violently ill if they attempt to connect to a source of power or cast a magic, resulting in crippling injury or death.

Additions

Spoiler

Bulwarks

-The Bulwark is capable of growing exoskeletal armor on its humanoid half over the course of several days, about as durable as the chitinous plating on its arachnid abdomen. They are then able to remove it through an hour-long molting process. The design of the armor is up to the player, but it typically matches the natural color of their lower half.

-Bulwark webbing is much less fine than that of the Tremere, functioning more like a thin but durable cable than a wire. It still retains its usual weakness to fire, and it is only about an inch thick at most.

The Broodmother

The Broodmother is the first in a bloodline of Zephonim, and as such receives the brunt of the mutagenic properties from their ancestral blood. Rarely are its effects known to the would-be Broodmother early on, the residual mutagen typically takes years to incubate before becoming potent enough to affect them.

Their form is twisted into one that is both grotesque and grand, one fit for subjugating their progeny properly.

QtSi9nRWoe4S6gQDOb41_kxI5ENxp_NF1DFcqGFlv-17kCaCsskR11cLrZ5aKVM6VMpw2mkDc5iWThpFqD5TXhsnLK7O5VfgFyFMKU6Wp6YOolbZXCjcRWy3t6xFeTqf3UE1Gh07

(https://y-mir.deviantart.com/art/The-Queen-411742134)

Despite the inherently feminine title, Broodmothers may be either gender.

Appearance & Abilities

Though the exact manner of outward mutation on the humanoid half of the Broodmother is up to the player, they have several defining features:

-The Broodmother retains the primary features of their previous classification (Example: A Tremere would retain their ability to learn and practice magic and their general weakness. A Bulwark would retain their superior strength and inability to learn magic).

-The Broodmother rivals a Bulwark in size.

-They grow a set of small utility arms, much like the Bulwark.

-Their arachnid abdomen becomes swollen with excess blood, allowing them to feed up to 4 potential Zephonim at a time. This weighs them down and prevents them from moving particularly fast, unlike the Bulwark.

-The Broodmother is able to produce a thin needle from their wrist that injects a parasite into a target's bloodstream. The parasite makes its colony in the gland that produces this mutagen, preventing it from spreading the poison at all. The waste produced by this parasite corrodes the Zephonim's arachnid half slowly and painfully.Once this painful process is complete, the former Zephonim is left without a lower half and minor evidence of their former nature. In short, it leaves them legless. It is possible to "regrow" a humanoid lower half, through a potion of regeneration, but the alterations made to their mind and appearance will remain.

Redlines

-The mutations on the Broodmother’s humanoid half are entirely aesthetic, and may not give them any advantage.

-Due to the nature of the Reversion poison, attempts to restore a former Zephonim's arachnid half will only cause the process to repeat.

-The Broodmother's parasite very quickly dies without a source of food, and its small size makes it impossible to properly detect. Anyone other than the Broodmother would be unable to utilize the tiny beasty.

-The Broodmother must still respect and abide by the limits and weaknesses of every other Zephonim, in addition to their own.

EDIT: Fixed major problems brought up by Suxals

EDIT 2: Removed manasilk and further debuffs to Tremere practicing non-withering magics.

Edited by Babehab
Minor tweaking.

Can I build a cable bridge with with tank spider but fibers?

Just now, Данстан said:

Can I build a cable bridge with with tank spider but fibers?

Woah there boyo

Just now, Babehab said:

Woah there boyo

CAN I?

Just now, Данстан said:

CAN I?

Maybe but I hope nobody crossing that bridge smokes

1 minute ago, Babehab said:

Maybe but I hope nobody crossing that bridge smokes

d1b8f0e30273c785947733e2616e6a29.png

Just now, good bye wafa said:

You forgot to clarify how big of a boot I need to squash each class of spider.

Ten

9 hours ago, Babehab said:
Spoiler

-Tremere are still capable of learning magic due to a preexisting connection to a source of power that caused an exception to their mutation, leaving their soul significantly less altered than the Bulwarks. This is likely why they are so different from their aforementioned siblings.

If their souls are altered and no deity made that, are they affected by ascended magic? This breaks the first criteria of soulfire:

"Significant alteration to a soul, to a point where they have access to magics unattainable by normal means, while also receiving major changes to their physical structure."

Also for a disconnected Zephonim will be ready hard to get back their inicial lower body basically because the souls gets updated after an elven week after a change have been done, and these creatures lost their original lower limbs when they turned into a Zephonim. In my personal appreciation this kind of creature shouldnt have a way to get "disconnected" but yeah, i dont play them so i dont have a say in the matter.

Anyways good addition, after read the lore and then this post everything is a bit more clear.

You should make a family tree with brood mothers and the child zephonim under ThEm

20 hours ago, Suxals said:

If their souls are altered and no deity made that, are they affected by ascended magic? This breaks the first criteria of soulfire:

"Significant alteration to a soul, to a point where they have access to magics unattainable by normal means, while also receiving major changes to their physical structure."

Also for a disconnected Zephonim will be ready hard to get back their inicial lower body basically because the souls gets updated after an elven week after a change have been done, and these creatures lost their original lower limbs when they turned into a Zephonim. In my personal appreciation this kind of creature shouldnt have a way to get "disconnected" but yeah, i dont play them so i dont have a say in the matter.

Anyways good addition, after read the lore and then this post everything is a bit more clear.

Hmm, time to fix it.

@Babehab question about base lore- Say you wanted to be a zephonim druid, you would have to be a zephonim prior to becoming a druid due to the whole 'deities protecting their user souls' ordeal, yeah? As for the additions, I like em.

1 minute ago, Sky said:

@Babehab question about base lore- Say you wanted to be a zephonim druid, you would have to be a zephonim prior to becoming a druid due to the whole 'deities protecting their user souls' ordeal, yeah? As for the additions, I like em.

I honestly couldn't tell you for sure. Deities are not my strong suit.