[✗] A Shift in the Void - Mage Tools and Mage Curse clarifications

Mr. Etan

2 minutes ago, oblivionsbane said:

This allows the freedom to roleplay the niche character archetype of magical swordsmen/warriors while still limiting those who are more proper mages.

You can still use a lighter blade.

59 minutes ago, Tox said:

Heavy weaponry such as swords, maces, axes, crossbows and so forth become a struggle for mages to swing, leaving only valid options very light tools such as daggers, short blades and fencing blades (Estoc, a light sabre.)

2 minutes ago, _Jandy_ said:

Is there a full guide for these Focus Crystals? If not could we have one so that we can learn things such as where they come from, how mages typically get them, physical properties, if we'd need a stonemason to shape them, etc.. ? I think it'd be very helpful.

I think there's Guide/lore. But essentially focus crystals grow out in the woods/areas that have voidal anomalies etc. You can find them on any map in various locations really. Perhaps we'll touch up on that, was never focused because it was a simple object anyone could harvest.

Just now, Tox said:

Perhaps we'll touch up on that, was never focused because it was a simple object anyone could harvest.

I'd be happy to help write a guide if I can ask you some questions for a few days.

My discord: 

TaxSeason#7949

9 minutes ago, Tox said:

Spellblades shouldn't exist in the first place in my honest opinion. If you want to play a warrior don't learn magic.

I respect your opinion, but they exist in virtually every fantasy medium in existence and have a logical basis for existing in LotC where someone wishes for utility or mid-long range capability at the cost of some of their strength and finesse. This change, however, completely removes the possibility of this roleplay even having a chance to thrive. The utility and mid-long range capability I touched on may alarm you, but it is important to note that bows and thrown weapons reasonably accomplish this in the same way. So, I would protest that a conceptual mageblade performs similarly to your typical warriors loadout, but it contains stylized advantages due to the swordsmen's magical aptitude. Also, let's not forget that bows are the de facto counter to mages and are thus superior in many ways.

9 minutes ago, _Jandy_ said:

You can still use a lighter blade.

Lighter blades, such as the examples given, are functionally useless in a fight. These weapons weren't even sidearms in ancient times. They wouldn't be useful in any defensive way in our world of monsters, heavy armor, and extensive weaponry. The only use the cutting utensils listed would have would be to cut rope, whittle wood, or engage in silly duels with both sides purposefully unarmored. Essentially, the exceptions are useless in a fight.

nitpick: estocs are heavier than longswords, and would be completely impermissible for a mage to use. 

otherwise, this is a much needed change. Thank you!

Edited by char-char~

To re-iterate, I don't mind the not being able to wear armour. My biggest peeve is the fact that apparently now anyone can kick my shin hard enough and it will snap easily.  I would even be willing to help you come up with other explanations behind why we can't wear plate (which isn't even all that heavy due to being built for protection but also being lightweight). I just really don't want to suddenly be some stupid twig that can't do anything besides magic.

Edit: Not to mention the fact that from what I gather, the 'tools' don't actually give much or.... /any/benefit seeing as it seems to take an emote to 'properly grip' them.

Edited by KorusPrime

Just now, KorusPrime said:

To re-iterate, I don't mind the not being able to wear armour. My biggest peeve is the fact that apparently now anyone can kick my shin hard enough and it will snap easily.  I would even be willing to help you come up with other explanations behind why we can't wear plate (which isn't even all that heavy due to being built for protection but also being lightweight). I just really don't want to suddenly be some stupid twig that can't do anything besides magic.

Tbf, mages in most games and settings are typically glass cannons who need to keep their distance from an enemy. All of the changes seem pretty fair considering that mages can cast things like lightning at their foes.

Just now, _Jandy_ said:

Tbf, mages in most games and settings are typically glass cannons who need to keep their distance from an enemy. All of the changes seem pretty fair considering that mages can cast things like lightning at their foes.

Do you actually know how long it takes to make lightning on LOTC? In the time it does, most people are already on you and trouncing you. And there is a big difference between "glass cannon" and "your bones break with a hard enough hit".

so, if a mage uses his stave all the time, will he need one emote less to cast? most of the mages use their staves as walking sticks, i guess that they will need to connect to the stave or something, if not, would they experiment any kind of fatigue for being connected to the void all the time?

(( I am just curious, i don't play any voidal mage)

Edited by Suxals

1 minute ago, KorusPrime said:

Do you actually know how long it takes to make lightning on LOTC? In the time it does, most people are already on you and trouncing you. And there is a big difference between "glass cannon" and "your bones break with a hard enough hit".

Position accordingly if you are going to be casting something like lightning then, hide behind something or be out of your targets field of vision or something of the such if you must. Also I'm fairly certain that is exactly why they're called a glass cannon, because they have the ability to output plenty of damage but are very fragile and can be effectively shut down fairly easily if they are in a position where they can hit. 

Actually very much so like this I agree mages should have always been rping as weaker than normal people, and the second part for a soulbound weapon that connects a mage to the void perpetually. I in the past have thought of the idea to make lore but never new how to make it feasible with the lore. +1 great work Toxie.

Just now, _Jandy_ said:

Position accordingly if you are going to be casting something like lightning then, hide behind something or be out of your targets field of vision or something of the such if you must. Also I'm fairly certain that is exactly why they're called a glass cannon, because they have the ability to output plenty of damage but are very fragile and can be effectively shut down fairly easily if they are in a position where they can hit. 

Heard of metagaming? Secondly, let me rephrase. There is a difference between "glass cannon" and "not being able to do normal things that do not include magic or even combat what so ever for fear of literally breaking your arms"

I liked something a friend of mine described as a spellsword, and I think it's p. fair.

Be able to retain proficient fighting ability and mass, use lighter weapons (quarterstaves, staffs, shortswords, arming swords), only wear leather padding and light chainmail here and there, and you can only go up to T4 in one magic. 

That's a good set of parameters to be considered a spellsword, honestly. 

Edited by Ford