[✗] A Shift in the Void - Mage Tools and Mage Curse clarifications

Mr. Etan

23 minutes ago, Suxals said:

so, if a mage uses his stave all the time, will he need one emote less to cast? most of the mages use their staves as walking sticks, i guess that they will need to connect to the stave or something, if not, would they experiment any kind of fatigue for being connected to the void all the time?

(( I am just curious, i don't play any voidal mage)

Yes, it will also make anyone whos about to fight a mage instantly target the obvious mage with the cool looking staff "hey john shoot that guy or hes going to trash us all" so its got its ups and downs.

I personally don't hate this. Though I dont really like the requirement of another stone/gem/etc to be incorporated. I figure something like a simple spell imbued into the item would be stylistically pleasing  while still keeping the mechanics.

tldr; Leave gemcraft to enchanting so we dont have to bling out mage tools to be pointlessly icy.

11 minutes ago, Luxury said:

I personally don't hate this. Though I dont really like the requirement of another stone/gem/etc to be incorporated. I figure something like a simple spell imbued into the item would be stylistically pleasing  while still keeping the mechanics.

tldr; Leave gemcraft to enchanting so we dont have to bling out mage tools to be pointlessly icy.

Idk why you think Focus crystals were never a thing, this has no right to become anything associated to the crafting system or any mechanics.

Focus crystals are literally crystals anyone can find in the woods.

17 minutes ago, Tox said:

Idk why you think Focus crystals were never a thing, this has no right to become anything associated to the crafting system or any mechanics.

Focus crystals are literally crystals anyone can find in the woods.

Sorry I read this wrong I'm kinda out of it. Reason why I made it so it needed a crystal was for the shattering debuff. It can be hidden in the tool it just has to be apart of the tool.

It really limits spellsword chars which now really disappoints me. I'm not sure but fairy certain that spellswords carry many enchantments and magical artifacts, so maybe to even that out only combative magics will wear the mage to such big extent they are unable to even wield a blade?

On another note, would this escalate to known knowledge amongst mages? Or will you need to learn the process IRP?

2 hours ago, Tox said:

Yes, it will also make anyone whos about to fight a mage instantly target the obvious mage with the cool looking staff "hey john shoot that guy or hes going to trash us all" so its got its ups and downs.

A lot of people already uses /magic/ staves, and a emote like, "taps the floor with his stave twice" doesnt change a lot the roleplay and at least make it just a bit more rich the roleplay, personally i hate when mages just emotes poorly thigs like "twichs fingers" in my case i play am ascended and i love to explain the whole process how he focus his mind uses the mana of the soul to move the embers within his body and around his soul to invoke his magic, i think it stops being fantastic when you try to hide what is happening just to avoid meta or laziness. Anyways i going out of topic. But coming back at my former response, are you connected with the void all the time that you hold the stave? If that is true how do you lose the connection when someone hurts if you still hold it?

8 minutes ago, Suxals said:

If that is true how do you lose the connection when someone hurts if you still hold it?

I believe the answer is that you don't, but your Essence Shard tool would be incredibly prone to being damaged and they would need to try to destroy it for an effective method of stopping a mage from casting.

7 hours ago, Tox said:

If you want to play a warrior don't learn magic

*glares intensively at Spirit Smithing and Runesmithing

Very nice clarification on armor however in my opinion, I'd bump the complete fatigue of plate armor to three magics, not two. I think someone with exercise should be able to wear full plate if they limit themselves to one magic so people can play that warrior-mage type of character. If you mastered two magics, you'd be able to play more of a rougish-mage and anything after, you'd be that sterotypical frail, robed wizard.

Edited by LeoRabbit99

smh making mages leukemic x10 and completely obliterate the concept of spellswords because you personally don't like it

rather have something that can differ mages from one another in varying cliques rather then forcing the whole heap into a silk tunic

Edited by The World

7 hours ago, Suxals said:

A lot of people already uses /magic/ staves, and a emote like, "taps the floor with his stave twice" doesnt change a lot the roleplay and at least make it just a bit more rich the roleplay, personally i hate when mages just emotes poorly thigs like "twichs fingers" in my case i play am ascended and i love to explain the whole process how he focus his mind uses the mana of the soul to move the embers within his body and around his soul to invoke his magic, i think it stops being fantastic when you try to hide what is happening just to avoid meta or laziness. Anyways i going out of topic. But coming back at my former response, are you connected with the void all the time that you hold the stave? If that is true how do you lose the connection when someone hurts if you still hold it?

This is really redundant. Why would you emote something nobody can see? Instead emote things like staring off in the distance/clearly concentrating on something/being an aesthetically pleasing edgelord with glowing irises. Emoting one's own thoughts is reserved for first person books, I'd say.

I like the idea of using a focus crystal to stay constantly connected to the void. Not overpowered and very well balanced.

That being said your nerf of voidal mages physically is too extreme in my opinion. Brittle bones isn't required. I believe that'll make us too weak with nothing in return. All you need to do is specify what mages are capable of wielding or not. Besides brittle bones mostly everything else makes sense. Mages shouldn't be strong enough to carry around plate armor, although I can honestly say I've never seen a mage with full plate armor. Giving us brittle bones is going overboard.

I would say let's put a vote to it but I'd feel that a majority of people would vote in to what I just said or not nerf at all. I'm not saying there shouldn't be one I'm just saying I think we need to specify what mages can and can't use.

Lacking capability to sustain average to intense weapon-play or wearing heavy armor > incapable of using heavy weaponry or wearing heavy armor