[✗] A Shift in the Void - Mage Tools and Mage Curse clarifications

Mr. Etan

16 hours ago, Tox said:

Heavy weaponry such as swords, maces, axes, crossbows and so forth become a struggle for mages to swing and use, leaving only valid options very light tools such as daggers, short blades and fencing blades (Estoc, a light sabre.) Granted magic can assist with a few things such as using telekiensis to pull back a crossbow string or to hold up a shield in place.

Hue when a mace weighs the same as a light sabre. Mages can't swing swords, which weigh about 1.5kg... so they can't even pick up a watermelon anymore

If a mage struggles to lift a 2lbs sword, does that mean if they fell over. They'd be forever trapped on the floor, unable to pick themselves up. Due to weighing much more then the sword?

We don't need to nerf mages down to Stephen Hawkings, we just need stricter guidelines on what we're allowed to use/not use.

To further my point of finding an alternative:

http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm#.WbHOwMaQz1I

e0de47092601b372e2cb4b982d138c6c.png

Okay fine we can use staffs...well not really.

715384b48a4a32cf68198e1c2e0a0a20.png

An unadorned 6ft wooden staff weights 2.2lbs, nearly as much as the average sword. Between a gem or any other accessories,  a typical mage staff could weight as much as some swords. This staff is only 1 inch thick, most walking staffs are likely larger in circumference adding to the weight as well.

Once again I'm not saying we shouldn't nerf mages so they can't wear plate(which btw is lighter than mail), I'm just saying your lore takes it to the extreme.

20 hours ago, Trenchist said:

It really limits spellsword chars which now really disappoints me. I'm not sure but fairy certain that spellswords carry many enchantments and magical artifacts, so maybe to even that out only combative magics will wear the mage to such big extent they are unable to even wield a blade?

On another note, would this escalate to known knowledge amongst mages? Or will you need to learn the process IRP?

Every mage thats mastered one magic would learn this, it would be common knowledge.

18 hours ago, Suxals said:

A lot of people already uses /magic/ staves, and a emote like, "taps the floor with his stave twice" doesnt change a lot the roleplay and at least make it just a bit more rich the roleplay, personally i hate when mages just emotes poorly thigs like "twichs fingers" in my case i play am ascended and i love to explain the whole process how he focus his mind uses the mana of the soul to move the embers within his body and around his soul to invoke his magic, i think it stops being fantastic when you try to hide what is happening just to avoid meta or laziness. Anyways i going out of topic. But coming back at my former response, are you connected with the void all the time that you hold the stave? If that is true how do you lose the connection when someone hurts if you still hold it?

You have to hold your tool to channel its voidal connection.

12 hours ago, The World said:

smh making mages leukemic x10 and completely obliterate the concept of spellswords because you personally don't like it

rather have something that can differ mages from one another in varying cliques rather then forcing the whole heap into a silk tunic

common want currently is to stop plated mages with big swords and thousands of enchantments, thanks for your input though

9 hours ago, Wendigo said:

I like the idea of using a focus crystal to stay constantly connected to the void. Not overpowered and very well balanced.

That being said your nerf of voidal mages physically is too extreme in my opinion. Brittle bones isn't required. I believe that'll make us too weak with nothing in return. All you need to do is specify what mages are capable of wielding or not. Besides brittle bones mostly everything else makes sense. Mages shouldn't be strong enough to carry around plate armor, although I can honestly say I've never seen a mage with full plate armor. Giving us brittle bones is going overboard.

I would say let's put a vote to it but I'd feel that a majority of people would vote in to what I just said or not nerf at all. I'm not saying there shouldn't be one I'm just saying I think we need to specify what mages can and can't use.

Thank you for your feedback, perhaps it should be re-clarified as I don't mean bones brittle like glass. Just weaker than a well tonned warrior etc.

8 hours ago, SodaiKamikaze said:

Lacking capability to sustain average to intense weapon-play or wearing heavy armor > incapable of using heavy weaponry or wearing heavy armor

I didnt say cant I said it hinders greatly you can find magical alternatives to make things lighter too. Thanks for your constructive feedback though.

6 hours ago, Jake the Dog said:

Hue when a mace weighs the same as a light sabre. Mages can't swing swords, which weigh about 1.5kg... so they can't even pick up a watermelon anymore

Nit picking, I'm talking about swinging a massive bulky mace compared to a balanced sabre. I'll edit the examples though ty for your feedback.

6 hours ago, DrakeHaze. said:

I don't want to use focus crystals thanks.

Why? Focus crystals are literally found everywhere and not restricted at all. I'm getting the impression you don't know a lot about them.

6 hours ago, Wendigo said:

We don't need to nerf mages down to Stephen Hawkings, we just need stricter guidelines on what we're allowed to use/not use.

To further my point of finding an alternative:

http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm#.WbHOwMaQz1I

e0de47092601b372e2cb4b982d138c6c.png

Okay fine we can use staffs...well not really.

715384b48a4a32cf68198e1c2e0a0a20.png

An unadorned 6ft wooden staff weights 2.2lbs, nearly as much as the average sword. Between a gem or any other accessories,  a typical mage staff could weight as much as some swords. This staff is only 1 inch thick, most walking staffs are likely larger in circumference adding to the weight as well.

Once again I'm not saying we shouldn't nerf mages so they can't wear plate(which btw is lighter than mail), I'm just saying your lore takes it to the extreme.

Main thing is using them effectively, I'll edit the clarification though thank you.

Just now, DrakeHaze. said:

@Tox I just don't want to have to use an object to cast magic when its just another weakness.

It's not forced DrakeHaze, I think you have a misconception that you're forced to use tools. They're just an additional thing for mages to use and cast with.

Just now, Tox said:

It's not forced DrakeHaze, I think you have a misconception that you're forced to use tools. They're just an additional thing for mages to use and cast with.

Nah just stoned. Don't see a use for them though.

Nah just stoned. Don't see a use for them though.

Constantly being connected to the void reducing a need to connect before casting.

Not needing to connect is overpowered in my opinion. Voidal elements are very malleable and fast to change. 

3 minutes ago, Tox said:

Constantly being connected to the void reducing a need to connect before casting.

Oh.

1 minute ago, Veist said:

Not needing to connect is overpowered in my opinion. Voidal elements are very malleable and fast to change. 

The drawbacks far outweigh the gains.

Oh.

Yeah.

5 minutes ago, Veist said:

Read the lore, its more of a debuff if anything. The tools have their fair share of weaknesses too.

Updated clarifications 9/7/2017 at 9:30pm

On 9/6/2017 at 9:50 PM, Tox said:

This is not to skip a step in magic, rather simply another way to do tells i.e. if you see a mage suddenly take out their wand you know stuff's going to hit the fan as if you saw a mage's ears or hands twitch.

Ah, correct me if I'm wrong but being already connected to the void removes one emote. IE you connecting to the void? If that's not the case and it takes the same amount of time to draw, cock, and  release what's the point of literally carrying around a glass piece of your soul?

Spellblades currently run the server imo.

This doesn't disallow it but rather makes the true masters of a magic actually mages whereas a spellblade could stay at tier 3-4 but still choose to wear armor.

I don't agree with brittle bones at all. People will abuse/PG it. Having additional weight cause stress to a spellcaster makes sense but don't make it some weird vitamin deficiency.