[Shelved][Alchemy Lore Submission] Hermit Crabs/Kloning

Vezzin

Just now, Vezzin said:

The Shells, in a way, form one big whole even though they are physically disconnected on the material plane. Destroying a Shell can be comparable to losing an arm. The whole truly contains the soul, not each body, even though the Soul can only have one Prioritized Shell at one time.

This may not be fully understood by characters in rp, I say to those who are afraid that this contains too much science fiction for LOTC.

So when you first make this structure does your original body die, or is there some other way the soul gets into the 'machine' of sorts?

36 minutes ago, ShameJax said:

So when you first make this structure does your original body die, or is there some other way the soul gets into the 'machine' of sorts?

The Soul cannot distinguish between the Original and the Shell unless the Shell is severely mutated. Each of the Shells pull on the Soul all of the time, just a little bit, because the whole is naturally trying to reach an equilibrium and spread the soul out evenly amongst its physically separated parts. However, this can't happen because the Shell Pool isn't actually strong enough to tear the soul apart. Because of these two points, the Shell Pool is created. 

Edited by Vezzin
Grammar :u

4 minutes ago, Vezzin said:

The Soul cannot distinguish between the Original and the Shell unless the Shell is severely mutated. Each of the Shells pull on the Soul all of the time, just a little bit, because the whole is naturally trying to reach an equilibrium and spread the soul out evenly amongst its physically separated parts. However, this can't happen because the Shell Pool isn't actually strong enough to tear the soul apart. Because of these two points, the Shell Pool is created. 

abcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabc

But what prevents the soul stream from taking hold of the soul? I love the lore, it just needs some clarification on this aspect.

Vezzin you edited on the lore and replied to Jax with the same thing. I love you, you ******* gem.

6 minutes ago, ShameJax said:

But what prevents the soul stream from taking hold of the soul? I love the lore, it just needs some clarification on this aspect.

abcabc

There is no direct manipulation upon the soul with any sorta magic or otherwise. The alchemist is just abusing an anomaly where the soul fails to distinguish between the original body and a cloned shell so from the perspective of the soul all available bodies are its body so the soul itself just moves to a new body of its own accord. The soul only has the ability to inhabit a single body at a time, but if one of the available bodies were to die, or the currently inhabited body were to die, the soul does not perceive it as death, rather it perceives it as injury. So the soul never admits death, because from its perspective death did not happen, then of its own accord it inhabits one of the already existing bodies because it perceives those as apart of its self. The soul will constantly resist the pull of the soul stream and instead be pulled to the clone bodies until all clone bodies are dead, because the soul does not think death happened and thus acts upon that.

The shell pool is just a theoretical thing to give explanation to the soul thinking that every clone is apart of its self and how it moves between different clones because of that. Its not a literal space, rather a theoretical space to explain a relationship that ignores any physical space.

Does this make sense?

10 minutes ago, Данстан said:

Vezzin you edited on the lore and replied to Jax with the same thing. I love you, you ******* gem.

There is no direct manipulation upon the soul with any sorta magic or otherwise. The alchemist is just abusing an anomaly where the soul fails to distinguish between the original body and a cloned shell so from the perspective of the soul all available bodies are its body so the soul itself just moves to a new body of its own accord. The soul only has the ability to inhabit a single body at a time, but if one of the available bodies were to die, or the currently inhabited body were to die, the soul does not perceive it as death, rather it perceives it as injury. So the soul never admits death, because from its perspective death did not happen, then of its own accord it inhabits one of the already existing bodies because it perceives those as apart of its self. The soul will constantly resist the pull of the soul stream and instead be pulled to the clone bodies until all clone bodies are dead, because the soul does not think death happened and thus acts upon that.

The shell pool is just a theoretical thing to give explanation to the soul thinking that every clone is apart of its self and how it moves between different clones because of that. Its not a literal space, rather a theoretical space to explain a relationship that ignores any physical space.

Does this make sense?

abcabcabc

Yes, I heavily suggest you also add an explanation of this onto the post. Just needs to be clarified so more lore wouldn't abuse an undefined means to do who knows what.

9 minutes ago, ShameJax said:

Yes, I heavily suggest you also add an explanation of this onto the post. Just needs to be clarified so more lore wouldn't abuse an undefined means to do who knows what.

abc

I'll see if I can get Vezzin to add a redline saying the alchemist does not directly manipulate the soul, just abused an anomaly.

I'll also see If I can get her to splice in a more clear cut thing.

2 hours ago, ShameJax said:

What attracts the soul to the Shell rather than the soul stream?

Its called magic dude, alchemy is just as magical as anything else (^:

8 minutes ago, Tox said:

Its called magic dude, alchemy is just as magical as anything else (^:

if only we had the precedent of things truly being magic

1 minute ago, ShameJax said:

if only we had the precedent of things truly being magic

abc

I'll precedent you.

Updates made, y'all

I forgot to post after taking some time to read through it the other day. Once you get past all the convoluted pseudo-science, you'll see this is a pretty interesting method for revival. My only qualm would be to ensure it's obvious if you're making a 'klone' for someone else that you require their OOC consent as it does have a PK clause. Unless it did have this somewhere and I didn't see it, apologies if that's the case as there was a lot to read. Haha +1

Okay okay very well written. Personally I really like the mechanic of rolling for certain outcomes and the d100 table of mutations really appeals to my D&D side. This is also great for balancing and RP variety which I think is very important for dynamic RP.

Some comments I have:

1) any way it can be shorter? You're proud of your writing (and you should be!) but I started skimming halfway through as there is way too little vital information in way too many words.

2) the symbol costs seems a bit on the low side.

3) from the wiki page you provided on cerebospinal fluid:

"The modern rediscovery of CSF is now credited to Emanuel Swedenborg. In a manuscript written between 1741 and 1744, unpublished in his lifetime,"

How do you reckon the performing of brain surgery on a living subject sits with the techlock?

EDIT: almost forgot but try to find some common ground with the homunculi lore as you explore a very similar end product and field of study. Consistency and cohesion in the picture of lore are important.

On 9/8/2017 at 8:40 PM, Gladuos said:

Unless it did have this somewhere and I didn't see it, apologies if that's the case as there was a lot to read. Haha +1

It takes an application to be cloned, even if you aren't actually learning how to make a clone.

On 9/13/2017 at 2:43 AM, Sporadic said:

How do you reckon the performing of brain surgery on a living subject sits with the techlock?

Stick a needle into into their spine and pray you don't make a quadriplegic.

Thank you for submitting your piece! This is now under review and you can expect a verdict in roughly a week.