How to set your avatar to a long picture with a transparent background

mitto

First find the picture you want to make your avatar. Don’t worry about size this technique seems to work no matter the width of the picture.

ptvZg17n6sqSW7psUox0N1k7R5nqO7wvXQYhDEoIabb2ck2o5VNzc4xkrXzkb1p40fHGQIzniEei66t2K52yO7_vRCO7ncKSXU-b6euXjPWG7v_b6DjCwWlylSRaSj6Jnz1ihLyy

Now, if you haven’t already, save the picture to your computer.

ssMQnIPnsS_nv-3IGqfzh7U3mdBzhKsu0cVH6upOaKXtyar-3TgGO9z26uKYF2djU3yPK2WrZeGNiD2mcaLvfi1AtYL2IHwsCFNvh9KZ6VRoQVbemdF2z0wGZcWtGQYHrIUuqRCg

Go to:

https://ezgif.com/

Click on the GIF Maker section on the subheadings.

2DMsJWRcxoAUpn1NYPeP3bETVta8bDxFhjLXpRiyc33Hp5at-wVpGY61CHGDhtSlz3f6yUcl3TVJYXrhPoYSKmpNJW4kecx8okJ3EVqWPn2lOXzUsQvIj4sg870oW2jdUMOfh5lg

Once on this page click ‘Choose Files’. Select the photo you saved to your computer. Once you have click ‘Upload’.

S3sQbFDTwJBJ0xbShkLyfD_7F0OkqPR3z1lwIDXu1OWg24xSjaCAYgGReA6Mg07uVMQ2_GmU7Aa7f_Uonmlt4FL0iXw6MDPRVZKhjsf91aHbSLzCgawpSKrV0Clskgv-APPFCh28

Once you hit upload you will reach this screen. Copy the photo with the marked button and make sure you have roughly 5 copies as shown below. Once you have done this click ‘Animate it!’. Highlighted below.

RCWTyVS-jIT87UOshoP6dguDTKHbyxJVsoxgMHx44y80pfdbxlHDgeN1t14uvlhcB5xCQB_KowEeeKazgCOBtn97yZ8zMbb2vIf1n0pV6-EeZeYzAX6ypfG7YNsTY8GsyA653Qvh

After you’ve animated it, you will get your output below as a .Gif. Save this file again to your computer.

EwX3GCHR85GdE-m2wMYBOjFKnT-XoVk-AQzMEZAs42s2Vev3OtC6jR3uBkNh0rENJxtmTpsb28XQD5-8FQtllMlxxFJ-cw-uoCWO3NMjDa-aG45Z6cZ19KaOtrYffQcOiTqA9Qqf

Go to:

https://imgur.com/

If you are unaware of how Imgur works; select ‘New post’ highlighted below. Once you do hit ‘Browse’ on the pop up.

3ukuUE2PEa7ZMl8NNHMzBIgo4_kwyWcVvYBh3VnK2PVfDbHIdB6cmB99Ndvcpg7AodEty6rcgmBkbvtbc07quU7nJI3Uah_ZGCCxBFu2e9q6GQ5gMqV_pd31eto_gIASuNtJE7dt

Once you hit ‘Browse’ select the .Gif version of the image. If you hadn’t changed the name of the output when you saved it it will be labelled as ezgif.

ozdc5Z08Pf4mYSK_g0kaq1IudDSF6RzhWpsj8letPVdH_4fl9Gk9dM1jw_lGSUtOtewKjsTiPLvsFJTmaVuJDu9enb7VyEOCgOI0b-xgWw7CLbRQbHK-O9shN_oM_Yz1R6pI1KDc

Once it is finished uploading it will take you to the image page. In order to proceed refresh the page. This is important as Imgur rarely lets you open the image in a new tab directly after opening it unless you refresh the page.

WRmbEc_29nxfOVwk8tN2G80CkyxEEAbfaPKzixs6fYCXf1CUzweA6tPTFkpgrypzQqcuwgV_lQrCjGDLaiP3vzZKdNuniqUvaucpmbh3mVtN-ZDDVLvpiBYZOhvHyEHwNplrb3Ck

Once you have refreshed, go ahead and open the image in a new tab, this should work successfully, if not refresh again or wait and refresh.

AdAMOA6JrhhMIAvc7pq1b1WMLs9f-B8nBslynhcjFUe59ELjDEcvkbvxi4ltF39oN3n2aXGCLqpsNWBgCwahG3TzomsJJvBZMqgqz435V9EPHczDG-Lx1I9GKdwRlLZLkOUGJEYB

If successful, copy the link in the search bar. This is the link you will need to set your avatar.

2luXkXwt07jlA4ATNhQhdOj6QT74WV5vCIoy-2ZFOBOc3IuB3ikSCu16ELU6Wt2pUDnBpU3K1NKUMAx2cXvaq03m7Ts7fNllbXApNtH69_FPrs3lN7vBb3nXt_d-yZUb0vbuwmUe

Go onto your forum profile and select the button to change your profile.

4jIACRU9Q0g2ZV5TG1PwWGGuVPLnhEjM8w0_qUS0hkpI6BoNcmezafJHGHHI17n4TlVnq6PXeiegj7eePR5UMeeFOh8AbsWHmPkUdmbBpmfGiSJ2oTeCgdGLuwyeflXMr_dotzhk

Select ‘Import from URL’. Then paste the link stated above into the input box. Once pasted, hit ‘Save’.

Ds6mOKs9PKAlxYBTiC3IxgIBtrFFrQy91RffEsdX7yv6Jwars2uqsQL07YeoIo8BoIzSaZm5xsxj5nK4Vl7kZvXnLUartvQnum3Mp3YJZiouX4TekGoMia3UaeqjJrCxSoEBhbvt

Once you have hit save you’ll get a loading icon. Do not wait, the forums believe you have to resize the photo but you do not therefore it is stuck in a loading loop. Simply hit ‘X’ and close it, doing this does not ruin it.

k_2UkuVcjqwVPF65nCZnzfmdS41PgIrjORvXQwucZ8whAl4L3_0qCNhIbvskLKWoJJ7UmnB3_4XwORWB6ZI4fv3EUi8tAlHEajizc-Kr-aL7rdIUk-JvCStwnCoKtvSCKXTNFjkV

Once you have exited the pop up, go ahead and refresh the page as it will need to be in order to check the result.

7nIEB94VoO1bGFsRfExxxV58nsel8ffeqoGm-uycoqNzYMqbIllgpUEMZ2IqbOP8yzXjycJ0_abDFes5m8nFIMejD4azz1eL1dfQ5vjUkJRotxm2PHoWOYYTihwXq2ofNh30Whoq

Quickly go ahead and check a recent post to check if it had set properly, in this case it has.

A lot of people have a lot of different techniques for this process but this one has worked 100% of the time for me with no faults, conditions or problems and I hope it helps others.

COMMON ISSUES

File type .gifv not recognised.

Drop the v at the end of .gifv. The file extension should look like .gif

File size too big.

NOTE: I only recently realized the more frame copies you make the higher the filesize is so you only need to have two frames. If it's still too high proceed below:

Go to GIF Optimizer at: https://ezgif.com/optimize

40196182fd43b8dea1cdebdec5665f98.png

Click 'Choose File'. Select your EZGif gif file. Upload it.

ozdc5Z08Pf4mYSK_g0kaq1IudDSF6RzhWpsj8let

3d29f41187f2dc7c96d62b611874d91c.png

The LoTC forums doesn't allow avatars with the size of roughly 1.1 MB or higher. However by selecting 'Lossy GIF'. You can increase the Compression level until it falls below the limit. Don't put it up too high or you'll make your picture very low quality. Once you increased the compression level hit 'Optimize it!'.

8871e0b14a05e73357bfc3cc455e4834.png

Here it'll tell you how much the file size has reduced. Again don't drop it too much or you'll lose a lot of color and detail.

b04587f99239d52a3cc655c369e30ef2.png

Once you have done this save the .gif to your computer and go back to the create GIF stage, as uploading an optimized gif straight to Imgur doesn't seem to work.

i hate you dumb fm ruining my good forums 

Thanks a bunch! Finally I can have a non-cropped version of this great concept art I found.

I'll have to try this now that this guide exists

58 minutes ago, Honor said:
c81a45db584cee9a43ee90db1e16a84f.png
@mitto

If you get a .gifv then drop the v at the end and it will recognise the file type.

However you typically get a gifv if the file is quite large and in this case it wont upload because it is too large. Here's a work around:

Go to GIF Optimizer at: https://ezgif.com/optimize

40196182fd43b8dea1cdebdec5665f98.png

Click 'Choose File'. Select your EZGif gif file. Upload it.

ozdc5Z08Pf4mYSK_g0kaq1IudDSF6RzhWpsj8let

3d29f41187f2dc7c96d62b611874d91c.png

The LoTC forums doesn't allow avatars with the size of roughly 1.1 MB or higher. However by selecting 'Lossy GIF'. You can increase the Compression level until it falls below the limit. Don't put it up too high or you'll make your picture very low quality. Once you increased the compression level hit 'Optimize it!'.

8871e0b14a05e73357bfc3cc455e4834.png

Here it'll tell you how much the file size has reduced. Again don't drop it too much or you'll lose a lot of color and detail.

b04587f99239d52a3cc655c369e30ef2.png

Once you have done this save the .gif to your computer and go back to the create GIF stage, as uploading an optimized gif straight to Imgur doesn't seem to work.

@Honor It seems uploading an optimized gif straight to imgur doesn't work, I'd suggest taking that optimized gif and making a new one from the copy frames. That seemed to work for me.

@mitto 
761b3d105618e6933e8decf2ed4b3846.png This number should be higher. 

How you change your Forum status thing. Mine says Stone Miner or whatever.

Edited by Mullraugh

2 minutes ago, Mullraugh said:

How you change your Forum status thing. Mine says Stone Miner or whatever.

It's 300 to 500ish content on your account to set a custom one

1 minute ago, mitto said:

It's 300 to 500ish content on your account to set a custom one

Oh. So I gotta be more active then. What about this 'old fart' thing? It triggers me.

6 minutes ago, Mullraugh said:

Oh. So I gotta be more active then. What about this 'old fart' thing? It triggers me.

join a staff team, win a tag or VIP