FlamboyantRage

Your View: Techlock

Techlock Poll  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that with enough roleplay the server should be able to progress "technology" beyond a medieval setting?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Impartial.
  2. 2. If you said yes to the above, what kind of technology do you think you would like to see?

• Fantasy Technology (e.g. technology not possible IRL but possible in other fantasy environments such as steampunk)
    • LotC-unique technology (Technology only made possible by our current world and lore)
    • Magi-tech (e.g. Technology made possible by and run by magic)
    • Semi-Realistic technology (e.g. Technology that is similar in nature to real technology that is slightly altered to match LotC)
    • Realistic Technology (e.g. progressions such as traditional firearms, steam, etc.)
    • Other (We'd like to hear below)
    • N/A (Didn't vote vote Y)
    • N/A (Don't like options)
  3. 3. If you voted no to the question, why do you feel this way?

• I feel as if technology is fine as is.
    • I don't feel like it would add anything to the server.
    • I think it would damage the medieval-fantasy setting of the server.
    • I don't think it can be implemented well.
    • I don't think it works well in Minecraft.
    • Other (Not listed here, post below)
    • N/A (voted yes).
  4. 4. Do you believe that technology should be created through roleplay by players (e.g. roleplaying experimentation, discovery, creation, etc.)?

• Yes
    • No
    • Impartial
  5. 5. Do you believe that technology should be submitted lore pieces by players, approved, and then allowed to RP?

• Yes
    • No
    • Impartial
  6. 6. Do you believe that technology should be created by the LT then people allowed to find/obtain/or roleplay with said technology?

• Yes
    • No
    • Impartial
  7. 7. Do you think technology needs accepted lore or should be people be allowed to run freely with whatever they want to make?

• Yes, it should have lore.
    • No, it shouldn't have lore and players should be allowed to do what they want.
    • Impartial
  8. 8. Do you think it's possible to go "too far" with technology, so to speak? (e.g. technology progressing to a point that it damages the server.)

• Yes
    • No
    • Impartial

2 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

I strongly believe that techlock should be looked at to allow new tech, guns such as flintlocks and muskets weren't too accurate and black powder/gun powder was highly volatile. Don't deny lore because it's technological, simply look at how overpowered it would be and if it's not OP then pass it. 

Keep it medieval or don't do it technologically.

046b08f3eb24fc2ae1b2072b76caf4ae.png

-=-

92d82761070402b18ca7aff3fd917db8.png

1 hour ago, _Jandy_ said:

Keep it medieval or don't do it technologically.

046b08f3eb24fc2ae1b2072b76caf4ae.png

-=-

92d82761070402b18ca7aff3fd917db8.png

Again, look at history and videogames. Many medieval fantasy games have guns (such as WoW) yet are perfectly fine if not better because of their use of guns. Picture your hunter without a boomstick? That'd just about peeve anyone off. :L

Also, don't spew lies:

https://gyazo.com/4bd3c462f42d2026e3577a2c2b984796

Guns began development in 1364. That's the 14th century my friend, they would be well known across Europe in 1380 and would finally begin to appear as matchlocks by the 15th century.. Near the end of the middle ages.  

Please read this in order to educate yourself: http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/technique/gun-timeline/

If you're an American who supports the first amendment and don't know when the first gun was invented then you clearly shouldn't be owning a gun at all. :L

Edited by drfate786

Just now, drfate786 said:

Again, look at history and videogames. Many medieval fantasy games have guns (such as WoW) yet are perfectly fine if not better because of their use of guns. Picture your hunter without a boomstick? That'd just about peeve anyone off. :L

In my experience WoW doesn't use roleplay combat. People don't turn a corner and blast you with a gun that they loaded two minutes ago. WoW is generally PVE and mechanical PVP combat. Like I quoted 6x for, much of the Tech in WoW looks ******* stupid and it's not how LotC should be. Like, look at these prime examples:

image.jpeg.6fb4fcb9b1fefb2f4fd620a1e430130b.jpegFlying Machineclock-em.v7814.jpggoblintrike-1292049657.jpg69972.jpgviciouswarmechanostrider.jpgdims?quality=100&image_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blogcdn.com%2Fwow.joystiq.com%2Fmedia%2F2009%2F02%2Faz_ulduareupreview.jpg&client=cbc79c14efcebee57402&signature=26cdffc6b091dbbd6e48f70f24037ebb2bd3ee41Image result for best boomstick in world of warcraft

Like... Is this really the tech you want in LotC? Or rather you picked an awful example and it completely defeats your argument.

10 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

If you're an American who supports the first amendment and don't know when the first gun was invented then you clearly shouldn't be owning a gun at all.

wait... is this relevant?

11 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

Not a lie, I showed you what I searched and the result I was shown. I didn't handpick the result lmao

Final Fantasy Magi-Tech

Feel strongly like this would be an attempt to cover up the pathetic effort you have made elsewhere in lore, plugins relating to lore and regulation of people using said lore (So it's not rewritten every five days).  Sure whatever you've broken the current stuff so make more brand new stuff not overly relating to that to draw attention away from the old shambles.

There's a MASSIVE gap between having guns and suddenly having steam power. 

Guns are OK if they're implemented right.

Steam? No. 

The English Civil War is what we should be basing our technology advances off, not Industrial Revolution Britain. Take a look at this beautiful Arquebus - Matchlock Muskets!

Horribly inaccurate due to its smoothbore design and it could only be effectively used when it's not raining. Bows and Crossbows would still be the superior of ranged weapons. But this would be superior through teamwork and long lines of men.

matchlocklever1.JPG

Edited by Mullraugh

6 hours ago, _Jandy_ said:

In my experience WoW doesn't use roleplay combat. People don't turn a corner and blast you with a gun that they loaded two minutes ago. WoW is generally PVE and mechanical PVP combat. Like I quoted 6x for, much of the Tech in WoW looks ******* stupid and it's not how LotC should be. Like, look at these prime examples:

image.jpeg.6fb4fcb9b1fefb2f4fd620a1e430130b.jpegFlying Machineclock-em.v7814.jpggoblintrike-1292049657.jpg69972.jpgviciouswarmechanostrider.jpgdims?quality=100&image_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blogcdn.com%2Fwow.joystiq.com%2Fmedia%2F2009%2F02%2Faz_ulduareupreview.jpg&client=cbc79c14efcebee57402&signature=26cdffc6b091dbbd6e48f70f24037ebb2bd3ee41Image result for best boomstick in world of warcraft

Like... Is this really the tech you want in LotC? Or rather you picked an awful example and it completely defeats your argument.

wait... is this relevant?

Not a lie, I showed you what I searched and the result I was shown. I didn't handpick the result lmao

https://gyazo.com/d74022d5e193168b44fb0ba746b3e289

This is the tech that is already in lotc... its called magi-tech, yes, pretty much every picture I have seen on lotc.

You may not have handpicked the results but the information you provided was highly misleading.

Guns were available during the middle ages, with their advantages and disadvantages taken into account, they aren't any more or less op than a crossbow or bow, or pretty much any other ranged weapon.

(Inb4 lore team looks at the 100+ people who voted to remove techlock and then just decide not to remove techlock anyways.)

9 hours ago, drfate786 said:

Wrong, they wouldn't allow the advancement to go THAT far. Lore would have to be approved remember? What LM is going to approve lore for damn tanks? Think about it? Would you? As for ranged weaponry, flintlocks and muskets were primitive and inaccurate. They could only be shot once before needing to be refilled which would take a whole minute or two to do so, during which you were vulnerable to attack. A bow would be more valid then a flintlock or musket, you're clearly confusing muskets with M1 Garands which were actually among st the first line of quality rifles.

Technology in a medieval fantasy setting DOES work too, look at world of warcraft. We have crazy gnomes with a magical steampunk city called Gnomeragan and dwarves with boomsticks yet we don't see that adversely effecting the game. Goblins have created cars and zepellins, motorbikes and Cola yet the game remains unaffected. Why? Because the devs know when and how to put a cap on it so to speak. 

In world of warcraft you can also easily kill robots with a sword. Try doing that in roleplay and you'll be scolded for trying.

I would realy like flintlocks and cannons as long as the rp and lore behind them is good. Steam punk seems cool but i DON'T want us to go 'further' than that, then it wouldn't be lotc anymore. Some airships i think would be cool but i don't want them to replace normal ships either, they should have to be made irp i think. Flintlocks would need go be roleplayed correctly, using the roll mechanic and lore wich tells how the rolling for flintlocks works and what range they're most effective in. Cannons are basicly rune cannons but with a bit less power i believe. Keep tech restricted, going further than the things i've mentioned WILL hurt the server, trust me on that one.

I would realy like flintlocks and cannons as long as the rp and lore behind them is good. Steam punk seems cool but i DON'T want us to go 'further' than that, then it wouldn't be lotc anymore. Some airships i think would be cool but i don't want them to replace normal ships either, they should have to be made irp i think. Flintlocks would need go be roleplayed correctly, using the roll mechanic and lore wich tells how the rolling for flintlocks works and what range they're most effective in. Cannons are basicly rune cannons but with a bit less power i believe. Keep tech restricted, going further than the things i've mentioned WILL hurt the server, trust me on that one.

Removing the Techlock will open up so much RP for humans whose culture restricts them from delving into other aspects of RP, namely magic. This could open us up for some cool pirates of the carribean ****, or as I said before, some arcanum.

Also, I think the lore for Tech should need to be submitted by anyone and then accepted by the lore team (Wouldn't need to be perfect, just some MS Paint blueprints would be nice.) and their should be lore team members who are specifically dedicated to tech. Additionally, maybe a technology team, similar to the magic team, who must sign off on items for them to be legitimate, sort of like an indication that yes, the RP was done to craft this item.

Any deviation from medieval fantasy should be very limited in scope and be judged much more stringently than other lore. Also, goes without saying, but no guns.

"5. Do you believe that technology should be submitted lore pieces by players, approved, and then allowed to RP?"

I don't believe this is something necessary for all circumstances. The yes/no/i dont care responses seem to suggest that there's no middling in that. Surely, technologies that pose a significant change or precedent should be taken into consideration before deciding whether or not to allow it. That said, it's going to be extremely limiting if every idea here or there requires an essay on the nonsensical ins-and-outs of fantasy technology that will never really be put to full use.

"6. Do you believe that technology should be created by the LT then people allowed to find/obtain/or roleplay with said technology?"

It may not be the explicit duty of the LT to introduce new technology to the setting, but they should set a guideline for what is allowed, what isn't, and where consideration becomes necessary.

"7. Do you think technology needs accepted lore or should be people be allowed to run freely with whatever they want to make?"

Needlessly polarizing question and answers. There's a middle ground.

"8. Do you think it's possible to go "too far" with technology, so to speak? (e.g. technology progressing to a point that it damages the server.)"

Absolutely. This idea was already explored with the concept of guns, which due to the nature (being long-range instant-kill weapons) were absurdly overpowered. There needs to be a limit, and it's usually not hard to see.

Techlock only applies to the Sciences, magic has seemingly had free reign with their magi-tech advances since forever. If people can teleport, throw fireballs, lift a sword in the air with their mind and skewer a man with it, make literal AIs, and strike a man dead with lightning; why can't we have simple manners of inaccurate firearms that sometimes blow up in your hands and balloons filled with hot air making small journeys which sometimes crash.