[✗] Gunpowder, Cannon and Arquebus Lore

Hanrahan

I agree with the gang saying hand-cannons would be a better idea. I also agree with the people saying that this would be very troubling to impliment because it would lead to a long chain of compromise. And I also agree with the folks saying that we need some level of progression to technology.

Overall I would +1 the lore, but I'm too tentative to commit to it. But I certainly don't dislike it.

also

Hand-cannons would not be a good idea. Why would you want guns so bad that you'd make a redline that you 'could lose your hand'. Haven't actually read OPs post, been reading comments.

Funny that the majority of those crying "muh setting" roleplay nonhumans or spellcasters who have access to the absurd powers of magitech.

Whose setting exactly is at stake here? Which playerbase and race were the first to advocate for firearm lore? The human playerbase of Oren. 

Your rp is just as insular as ours. Most humans spend their time with other humans, elves with elves, dwarves with dwarves, etc. How many human rpers did you see criticizing or proposing retcons to magitech lore because it our violated our "theme?" Why are you so anal about what our roleplay could look like?

The fantasy genre is as expansive and varied as the name implies, the invisible marked boundaries that you lot refer to don't exist anywhere within film, games, or literature. Our interpretation of fantasy is just as valid as yours. 

Magic pistols didn't work and they were more limited than this. Guns will not work. Look at the precedent before suggesting things like this. It hasn't worked nor will it work, no matter of how much good and in depth writing and lore there is.

1 minute ago, 6xdestroyer said:

Magic pistols didn't work and they were more limited than this. Guns will not work. Look at the precedent before suggesting things like this. It hasn't worked nor will it work, no matter of how much good and in depth writing and lore there is.

Magic didn't work because they were stupid magic bullshit, not because they were guns. There is no precedent for guns, we have never, ever had real guns before. Medasculors are not a valid precedent or comparison, they aren't guns. There's no reason to expect it wouldn't work. The only precedent we do have is cannons, which were perfectly fine working siege engines.

Just now, max. said:

Magic didn't work because they were stupid magic bullshit, not because they were guns. There is no precedent for guns, we have never, ever had real guns before. Medasculors are not a valid precedent or comparison, they aren't guns. There's no reason to expect it wouldn't work. The only precedent we do have is cannons, which were perfectly fine working siege engines.

What. Medasculors were treated as guns and failed maxgemini. If you want gun roleplay I suggest a rp Mount and Blade Napoleonic wars server. Guns on a minecraft medieval fantasy server would not work and haven't worked.

Just now, 6xdestroyer said:

What. Medasculors were treated as guns and failed maxgemini. If you want gun roleplay I suggest a rp Mount and Blade Napoleonic wars server. Guns on a minecraft medieval fantasy server would not work and haven't worked.

Medasculors. Weren't. Guns. Say it with me slowly, see if you understand. Medasculors were gun-shaped magic staffs, not guns. They did not have any firing mechanism nor were they actual firearms. They were literally sticks shaped like rifles, not guns. In fact, you could manually go out, chop down a tree, get a branch, and rp turning your branch into a gun shape and you would have something that is the exact same thing as a medasculor, and you could call it a ******* medasculor too because why the **** not. Medasculors are not guns.

I'm pro gun but I don't believe this is the way it should be done. Not only is this basically a direct copy of what we had in real life, it also allows for pre loaded guns - which is the big issue.

Remember for technology nothing is dumber than the crossbow that everyone misuses because they think themselves a crossbow expert learner from the wiki! Crossbows are a perfect example of how something completely normal, mundane can be used poorly and with little RP flavor as the person using it isn't trying to skillfully RP, they're thinking about the immediate advantage it has. Not magical "guns" either. 

>MAGICAL GUNS? yeah thats fine. (yea ik they got chopped)

>MAGICAL MECHS? yeah thats fine.

>MAGICAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS? yeah that's fine.

>/NORMAL GUNS/?!?!??!??! GamE BreaKIng

the implication that people who aren't supporting firearms were in support for the magic guns is ridiculous... i am anti-magical artificial intelegence, anti-magic guns, and anti-fire arms...

2 hours ago, ShameJax said:

I'm pro gun but I don't believe this is the way it should be done. Not only is this basically a direct copy of what we had in real life, it also allows for pre loaded guns - which is the big issue.

The weapon may be pre-loaded, but as stated in the post, the pan has to be prepped and filled with powder and the wick has to be ignited and placed into the hammer before you even think of firing the weapon. 

In terms of RP messages and time consumed to be able to fire the weapon, this takes longer than using a crossbow - and that's with the weapon already loaded.

Go play mount n blade napoleonic wars. If you want a little taste of musket and pistol combat. Pistols only 1 shot with rng headshots, muskets only 1 shot at medium range to the chest. After about say 30-40ft muskets can't be aimed for ****. Pistols even less

If you're going to introduce matchlocks you must also introduce the dangers of using one. For starters, the weapons were very inaccurate and were only really effective when used by a line of men. They also risked exploding in your face if too much black powder was loaded into the gun and didn't function in rain due to wet powder.

Canons could and should be a thing since gunpowder exists in-game, cannons aren't insanely complex but do require a lot of resources to use and also have a risk of backfiring. Contrary to popular belief, canons were also wildly inaccurate since the barrel always moved when the canon was fired which would alter the shot.

I very much like this idea, but the same thing bothers me and that was the fact you want it extremely hard to make via multi skill system, all this does is put it into the hands of grinders and pvp focused groups which and I am telling you now, will cause a massive ******* uproar when people start raiding settlements with guns because no one else has them. The whole idea of matchlock rifles and other weaponry of similiar nature was that it was easier to make than a crossbow, the industrial revolution sparked this but I still firmly believe it should be a relatively easy to obtain weapon just due to its simple nature, akin to the crossbow we compare it to. What I do NOT agree with, is preloading. No preloads, same as a crossbow

either way

+1