[✗] A new way to disconnect with friends.

Greekbro33

Disconnection Revamp? 

Or something like that. idk what to actually call this... :(

So, Basically I think the way Disconnection for Deity magic is dumb in its current form,

Anyone who knows the spell, can disconnect anyone, even if it's for no other reason then OOC resentment, or IC resentment. But there is one thing that makes no sense to me.

Why would a Deity let one of their follows be disconnected who has done nothing wrong, but offend someone else? Or follow his rules and guidelines differently.

For this I will be using clericism, as it is the deity magic I know the best,

Tahariae, his mission is that of Purity, and his followers are the Clerics, As it stands, once a Cleric knows the disconnection spell, they can use false information, and say

‘your bad, ima have to remove your magic’

But Tahariae has allowed that person to carry his light, to follow his mission, to bring purity into the world, those who know about our lore know he is basically hitler of Aenguls as we have strict rules, and he only really cares for purity.

So if that Cleric, who has done nothing wrong but follow that path of purity, did what Tahariae wishes, why would he allow the one doing HIS MISSION, to just be removed from that path?

He wouldn't. He wouldn't let one of his followers be removed, and allow his path to be obstructed over petty rivalries, and false truths, He would want them to continue the mission,

So I have a proposal, one to make it so that people who have spent LITERAL months of their lives, learning, developing, and using magic, don't get disconnected for no reason other than

‘We don't agree. And i have the power to remove you’

And to explain this I am going to compare this to a divorce. And your Aengul is the wife because the wife is always right.

Etc

ETC

-=+=-

A Three step Guide to proper disconnection.

Step 1

Let's say someone feels someone else should be disconnected from the magic, because they believe they broke a rule of their Aengul, or Deity, and thus are not fit to continue. That person has no connection to the person they feel should be removed, but they have the power to remove them. In current lore, they can remove them with no real repercussion other than that person's friends hunting them down to disconnect them as well. Thus two people removed from magic, for nothing.

My proposal?

A disconnection App of Sorts.

For someone to disconnect another person from a magic, it needs to be approved like a ban report, or an MA, Proof must be given as to why they SHOULD be disconnected,

For example

RP Name:

MC Name:

Proof that they should be disconnected:

This way, if accepted it is like their deity saying ‘Yeah, I don't want them using my gifts.’

After the App is accepted however, the one who wishes to disconnect the person still must hunt them down, and do the ritual, so it is possible to hide and avoid it. but once caught you can be disconnected.

In this case of Divorce, Tahariae doesn't love you anymore, and thus wants to take back everything he has given you. The one disconnecting you would be his lawyer, trying to prove that this divorce needs to happen, and if successful. Tahariae takes his gift, plus half of your stuff. This being the shattered soul you are left with. just like that time your wife took the dog with her.

Step 2

Once upon a time there was a teacher who had a student, who when they got their magic, used it for evil instead of good. It is now that teacher's responsibility to either bring them to the right path, or remove them from the path,

So for a teacher, they wouldn't need to go through the lengthy process of an app. As that person originally brought them into the magic, they have the right to remove them, therefore they only need to inform MT/LT that a student will be removed. And thus disconnected.

This process would be simpler due to the relationship of student and teacher, and the fact the teacher already would know how they were connected, and in the case of clericism, and i assume most other deity magic, their soul.

After some time though, when they eventually master the magic, then this step would still be voided for step 1. As the person as spent significant amount of time with the magic, and well, relationships change. In this time a teacher may come to dislike a student (both IC and OOC count for this) and thus may just not want them to have the magic anymore, and this step could be easily abused.

Same as Step 1, the one to be disconnected must be hunted down in the way it works now.

In this case, Your parents  in Law no longer approves of your relationship with her daughter, and this wants to remove you from loving her. So they revoke the blessing they gave you in marrying her, and become their own lawyers to get rid of you. Depending on how long you have been with their lovely daughter, depends on how much they take, because parents in laws are be very cold hearted.

Step 3.

A person wants to be willingly disconnect. This step is the most simple and needs the least amount of explanation.

The person has consented to being disconnected. And thus only need to find someone willing to do it, and inform MT/LT that they are no longer apart of the magic.

Rather simple.

In this case, you no longer love Tahariae, and thus want to escape, but Taharaie is clingy, so instead of a divorce, you hire someone to bring you to Mexico to hide forever.

Edited by Greekbro33

This by far makes more sense then what we currently have. Always wondered why a deity would allow a faithful follower to be disconnected so easily, even when they did nothing to deserve it.
+1

Image result for Porg gif

Is this a meme..? It just sounds like a new version of the orbital disconnection nuke my era had to put up with. As it stands now, disconnection is very easily undone, meaning so long as you have a group of teachers behind you, your disconnection can only be enforced by open war and the disconnection of all dissenters. More to the point, this is quite literally just a way to enforce visions from your patron by forcing the LT to rule on issues. You will lose /all/ gray areas this way.

Just now, The Templar said:

Is this a meme..? It just sounds like a new version of the orbital disconnection nuke my era had to put up with. As it stands now, disconnection is very easily undone, meaning so long as you have a group of teachers behind you, your disconnection can only be enforced by open war and the disconnection of all dissenters. More to the point, this is quite literally just a way to enforce visions from your patron by forcing the LT to rule on issues. You will lose /all/ gray areas this way.

Not a Meme, and not forcing visions onto any other group, as stated i used Clericism for the obvious reason as its what I am personally Familiar with.

Though constructive criticism is most welcome as any idea is a flawed idea.

3 minutes ago, The Templar said:

It's not an orbital strike, they'll still need to catch and disconnect you, as they normally would, they'll just need an accept disconnection application.

Just now, Starfelt said:

It's not an orbital strike, they'll still need to catch and disconnect you, as they normally would, they'll just need an accept disconnection application.

This is true, may not have worded this much properly. ^ everything still applys to how it works now, it just needs to be approved before you actually go into the act, 

I like this, I am not even a Magic guy and always thought Disconnection was rather poorly down from what I heard. I give a plus 1

Another app someone must go through to do roleplay, and another thing that can be seen publically and used to avoid another. Characters connect others to the deity, the deity doesn't connect to you, so it makes sense that characters are able to disconnect you from the deity and having another application format that you have to go through is silly. It's simply one of the things you have to worry about when people are taught to disconnect, whether or not they can be trusted with said information, there shouldn't be some magical safety net. 

I don’t know how coherent this all is, but these are my thoughts.

I’m not sure why this is that huge of an issue, disconnection isn’t exactly common to begin with. Was there an occurrence of disconnection that made you uncomfortable with the way it was performed? What is the precipitating event of this discussion beyond speculation about how disconnection could be used? I don’t know if a rule change should be considered when no fault of the status quo has been found. You show a severe lack of faith that people that roleplay in circles where deity magic is common would be guilty of simply removing someone because they don’t like them OOCly. As far as IC reasons, I hesitate to restrict anything that occurs in character and makes sense for a character. I think it’s important to leave OOC, such as in the form of an application, out of things as much as possible. Here are some suggestions and concerns in no particular order.  

Yes it is not good that a practitioner of deity magic can disconnect a practitioner simply because they don’t like them. That’s a real concern, but that’s really subjective as any disconnection would be an in character affair and there is naturally going to be some degree of animosity between the conflicting parties. That’s the nature of human beings, normal practitioners aren’t creatures of perfection like the Itharel or Keepers were meant to be. Though hopefully someone disconnecting is unbiased and merely sticking with doctrine, part of life is that there is a mix of real reason and fabricated reason, and part of religion is that there are always differing and often conflicting interpretations of religious doctrine. The lore is written with fairly simple instructions on what the deity believes, at least in the case of Tahariae. There is little gray area about what Tahariae would accept, someone actually not following his tenants, would do it. However, there is a lot of gray area when deciding how a descendent would react to his tenants or what would be interpreted when it is less clear.

Unfortunately, I don’t have an extreme amount of knowledge of all deity magic practitioners. However, I think it’s reasonable to assume that they all have different beliefs, different strictness to their beliefs, different ways the deity influences humanity and impacts the world, and different customs to handling disconnection. An all-encompassing, this applications must be filled out to disconnect someone, system is not a good idea when dealing with such matters and such variety. You have someone here that knows mostly about Tahariae suggesting decisions about every deity magic, this really should be dealt with on a deity by deity basis. I would hope that all practitioners of deity magics not just Tahariae ones would input on this discussion.

If someone incharacterly believes they are being hunted in character and might be disconnected soon, they should already be running and hiding if they are inclined to try to prevent it. It is so easy for someone to metagame knowledge and make up the most convincing in character reason to avoid such a fate and there be no reason anyone can call them out, because the question faced by any accusers isn’t why did your character do that, but why not? There is no way to know if a person is being OOCly or ICly motivated unless it is terribly obvious, and it often isn’t, one likes to give players the benefit of the doubt. I’d rather someone that is breaking tenants of faith to, if they are doing it intentionally, hide or someone who knows someone has threatened them to be wary or someone that is clueless to be clueless. Someone with intent to disconnect a practitioner for malpractice isn’t going to shoot a flare in the air for the wrongdoer to see and run for the hills, they’re just going to collect evidence and do it. It is argued that the application does not disconnect a person and would give them an ability to hide and avoid it, this is a clear explanation about what could happen if someone metagames this and does in fact hide with no reason other than this application. An application is a huge temptation to metagame that should be avoided.

Illustrated above you have a folly, something I don’t think is being totally considered and could if exploited be detrimental. It is easy to become a practitioner of magic, technically. One must have a teacher willing to teach them, the student application being very simple, no explanation as to your ability to actually roleplay that magic is needed. Total trust is given to the teacher to teach the magic and make sure the student isn’t learning it wrong and breaking rules. The application suggested puts up a stonewall to someone being forcefully removed from the magic. I’d rather deity magic be able to self-regulate in natural order without going through bureaucratic processes that have been shown in the past to be tenuous. I’d rather trust roleplay than more bloody applications added to the collection and trust that if someone goes on a disconnection binge for lols that that can be spotted and dealt with. You have applications where there are hundreds of magic users on the server and misuse could really hurt roleplay, you have dozens of new applicants to be whitelisted weekly, if not more, you have applications for staff positions where a bad applicant could have serious server ramifications. Those are all reasonable. Having an application for something that occurs a couple of times every several months and no one has really complained about in the past is annoying as hell and unnecessary, and the risks listed I think outweigh the benefit.

@Gathius di Silvari

I do see where you are coming from with the App, but i have seen plenty of times where someone has been targeted for disconnection due to OOC. hense why i made this, 

though an app may be annoying, i still stand by the fact that some form of proof needs to be shone to why someone should be removed, a single screenshot showing a slip up. ICly, not just by someone saying something in a skype or discord about how they are bad at the magic, or just because someone docent like someone else.

a way to limit this ability that can quite literally ruin a character, or someones experience on the server, ESPECIALLY if that person as put in countless hours to mastering their magic, followed all the rules, etc etc. but still got removed for it because of some OOC lie, or disagreement. 

yes an app may not be the RIGHT WAY, but by posting this, i am looking for the right way to do it, there are hundred, probably thousands of people in this community, im sure someone has a better idea than me. 

and im glad for any all all criticism.

thanks for you post :) will take into consideration in my attempt to make this better.