[✗] Dark Shamanism Rewrite - Ixli Origins, Seekers & more

Smaw

Alright, So a few ideas I have.

Maybe some form of auto-flesh smithing for dark shamans in order to gain mostly aesthetic stuff?

Perhaps make the dark shamans and the miser have their own way of respawning after death? Idk, they respawn a few days after being slain in an area with enough energy to recreate themselves? 

As a weakness to both the miser and dark shamans, farseers should perhaps be able to somewhat "banish" them for a maximum of one elven week. More if the player accepts, in which case he/she could  even be banished eternally from the mortal realm, a pk.

Really nice stuff Smawton. I enjoyed it. You tend towards cliche imagery when it comes to describing the process of decay but other than that the work holds together well. I hope this gets accepted, but I do have some notes:

• If Ixli wants his sanity back, then how exactly does spreading his tome and teachings among the mortals help him at all in this quest? Did I read over this?
  • The Great Mist thematically feels similar to the spirit realm and the link to meditation also suggests it may fulfil a similar purpose. It is also disjointed from most of the other abilities, holding no links to e.g. the "void" Ixli experienced or anything else. Hence, why have it at all? Do you think it is possible, lore-wise, to merge it with the spirit realm?
  • The Miser of Mist, while a logical ascension for a T5 being that is almost fully decayed, doesn't seem to fitting with the other aspects of Dark Shamanism. I see how you tried to link it with the Shaman becoming a spirit themselves, but it also seems like a bit of a tack-on to secure oneself the IG spectre buff. I think you can do without. Also, if there can be only one how is it decided who gets to be the Miser?

If Ixli wants his sanity back, then how exactly does spreading his tome and teachings among the mortals help him at all in this quest? Did I read over this?

You did. He allows them to use this magic at the cost of their sanity (hence the degradation of the mind) which allows him to balance out his own precarious nature.

The Great Mist thematically feels similar to the spirit realm and the link to meditation also suggests it may fulfil a similar purpose. It is also disjointed from most of the other abilities, holding no links to e.g. the "void" Ixli experienced or anything else. Hence, why have it at all? Do you think it is possible, lore-wise, to merge it with the spirit realm?

It is quite different from the Spirit Realm, but I would like to reserve a lot of that for future event lines. If you're still interested, I can message you privately regarding this.

The Miser of Mist, while a logical ascension for a T5 being that is almost fully decayed, doesn't seem to fitting with the other aspects of Dark Shamanism. I see how you tried to link it with the Shaman becoming a spirit themselves, but it also seems like a bit of a tack-on to secure oneself the IG spectre buff. I think you can do without. Also, if there can be only one how is it decided who gets to be the Miser?

In some sense it is quite divergent from the other realms of Dark Shamanism, because in many ways it isn't Dark Shamanism. In this sense the aforementioned is a pathway to this other state of being, which is introduced at the early stages during the ritual for choosing a "Truth".

I didn't want it to be easy. Due to the ritual, it has to be decided upon by those involved in Dark Shamanism. If nothing is decided, then no one gets it. It's as simple as that. I don't like the idea of spoon feeding certain aspects of a magic or lore.

---

In all honesty I've been meaning to expand upon this all and refine it, and will after I finish the working week tomorrow. I have read all of the comments here and will address them in an update soon. 

On 10/15/2017 at 5:39 PM, Smaw said:

For unknown reasons, the Dark Shamans are haunted by creatures referred to only as Seekers. These entities appear to randomly emerge around these Shamans and attack them on occasion.

I understand an ET will play this but what are the odds of Seekers appearing during one of these events, or is it determined by rolls or something?

Overall, the lore looks significantly well written and contains a stable link to the Origins of Dark Shamans as well as keeping a reasonable balance with their abilities and forfeits for those powers. I am kind of on the fence about the stagnant spirit manipulation simply because any Mortal can use stagnant spirits and evoke them from their own Spirit causing them to file in under the Greater Spirits. Although, I can understand how such a thing might be able to work.

(Meme at the bottom should be at the top but Im typing this on a phone) But seriously, Not bad all joke she aside and gj with Ixli origin. Could use more detail on abilities and the extents of them as well as maybe some expansion on how the whole absorbed flesh thing works in coherence with preexiating genus and life force lore. I don't also ask why bother making it take up 5 slots? For what it seems capable of doing Id argue it's worth 3 at a stretch; that kinda just looks like a last ditch additionally weakness to strengthen your chances a at getting passed.

but otherwise as a current dark shaman (Lore holder even) it's better than ish'urkal and will hopefully get more use than uluamirzgai... provided things are outlined properly now and the next wave of MT/LT don't decide to axe it a few months down the line the line.

Apologies, there seems to have been a miscommunication with pinging this thread when it was originally put under review. A verdict will be posted in a day or so. Sorry for the confusion!

This Lore has been denied. Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.