[✗] [✓] [Lore Submission][Creature Lore] Bryophites

senor_tortuga

+1 for you, and an unshun hopefully!

Spoiler

Soultrees are the superior plantfolk

I'm glad someone rewrote the lore, I've always thought them cool

+1

No, we have too many magical creatures. We need to eliminate some of the inactive "dark" lore creatures in order to add this, we can't have everyone playing some special snowflake. 

44 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

No, we have too many magical creatures. We need to eliminate some of the inactive "dark" lore creatures in order to add this, we can't have everyone playing some special snowflake. 

this exists already its a rework

1 hour ago, drfate786 said:

Like Sky said, this race already exists. I am one! This is also a tad different then your run of the mill magical creature race. It's a neutral race that can go dark or light, and fills something that's been missing in lotc for some time. Outside of bryophites, there is no way to extent the lifespan of a character without delving into serious magics, dedicating one's self to a deity, or coming back as something undead. If accepted, this race will be able to take amazing human characters and give them a whole new chapter of life and rp, or just twist a new dynamic politically and socially on non-human characters. It's no longer just a "Special Snowflake" race. 

Beautiful re-write, look forward to seeing more around! +1

Opal needs, and deserves, some more of her kind. Love this, and love the Bryophites! +1

+1 actually a pretty solid concept, I'll look out for future plant people!

Return of the moss hippies.

I like it. Length is good, neither too long nor too short. You write with a lot of clarity, to the point that I didn't even need the recap since my retention reading the original piece was so high. Makes my job a breeze, so thank you for that Mr Turtle.

My main note is physiological:  The fact that Bryophytes turn CO2 into O2. I'm no biologist, but I learned this is very demanding process which requires cells loaded with chlorophyll and thus a lot of sunlight. It also is a very inefficient process of acquiring carbon and the only reason plants are able to do this/ prefer this is because they are stationary aka rooted.

I understand we can be a bit hand-wavey here because this is a fantasy server. However, you explicitly state this as an ability of Bryophytes, thus you open yourself up to the burden of having to explain further. That being said i'd love to see biologically feasible lore on this count.

Furthermore

limbs can regrow at a slow pace (1 irl day per limb).

I think you and I have a different definition of "slow pace"

I can say, when I saw the announcement in druid chat that there was a re-write pushed for Bryophites without anyone telling me or asking my permission, I was infuriated. However after a few people telling me the LT was in on it, I went ahead and read through it all. Reading this re-write, essentially diffused my anger because of how nice it is. It's well written, easy to understand, and short and to the point.

The reason I was so against re-writes for so long is because back when I was more active [about 3 years ago] Bryophites were probably one of the most hated smaller races, every time they were mentioned in a thread the situation only got worse, which is what ultimately lead to them being forced into an event only status. So I started telling people to stop, and to leave them be as they were, for fear of them being removed completely.

But after seeing all the positive comments here I can see my reaction was outdated and unwarented, clearly the community has gotten over that now and I suppose that, outside of my pride, I can say I'm glad that you went ahead and suggested this despite my less than welcoming responses to your "pestering" lol. 

The fact that you still gave me credit makes me happy as well, and the majority of the details themed around them were kept the same, you only changed certain mechanics, added some really nice lore, and made the post shorter and easier to read. My re-write was lengthy, and probably the main cause for why sooo many bryophite players never read the lore.

So, I give this a hefty +1

good job : ) Sorry for my stubbornness, lol. 

As a former Bryophite, and wanting to make one of my current characters one, I add my support to this rewrite!

Apologies, there seems to have been a miscommunication with pinging this thread when it was originally put under review. A verdict will be posted in a day or so. Sorry for the confusion!

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon.