[Shelved][✓] Archon Addition - Vulnerability of the Voidscarred

Zarsies

33 minutes ago, Zarsies said:

The thought here is akin to a golem going red, minus the literal coloration. 

There's not an intention to be spooky here, just unstable and troubled greatly. If an Archon wants to be spooky they will but this doesn't enable that by matter of choice. This is a forced weakness any Archon can befall; any non-masochist or non-suicidal character would desperately try to avoid this fate because it's not at all beneficial and only serves to hurt. I hope that makes sense, I'm sleep deprived ;-;

You convinced me +1, also it would give more roleplay if it can be cured.

Vulnerability lies in eternity; the eternal, susceptible. For Time may wear one calloused and grim, the.

the...... ? Very suspenseful. Good read but the first two paragraphs are very jumbled. Some of the sentences are all over the place. Please read over them again and rewrite. Another example:

An Archon may be throttled into the mania and madness inherent in their source of power is as well mirrored in that which pushes them into it; taint.

You also dropped a "the" pronoun in the third paragraph. Minor stuff. Nothing you're going to get denied on because everything else is fine and all your themes and balancing hold up splendidly. Still, it'd be nice if you could clean up to make it a bit more pleasant read.

Sporadic, I blame you for my crippling dyslexia.

1 hour ago, Gladuos said:

Sure just seems like further nudging the only neutral arcane endgame towards further madness and dark tendencies. As much as the forced 'weakness' is meant to offer roleplay, it offers forced dark roleplay for a neutral entity. Though what does it matter if all the archons may be fine with it anyway?

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. Can you elaborate or reiterate?

Archons are supposed to be the neutral endgame for an arcane playerbase. All I ever see is their theme perpetually leading down one where they're discouraged from being roleplayed as having peace of mind or even being neutral individuals. Rather manic-induced madmen gradually eroding away into mental disorder. Thematically, this all seems very dark and just twisting the idea away from actually being a neutral entity.

1 minute ago, Gladuos said:

Archons are supposed to be the neutral endgame for an arcane playerbase. All I ever see is their theme perpetually leading down one where they're discouraged from being roleplayed as having peace of mind or even being neutral individuals. Rather manic-induced madmen gradually eroding away into mental disorder. Thematically, this all seems very dark and just twisting the idea away from actually being a neutral entity.

I'll start off by saying this idea was originally Phil's, the writer of the original lore. He always intended for Archons to be burdened in the mind over their "mistake" (as he'd say) of becoming an Archon. He supports the theme and consented to have this addition. :v

Can you cite such occurrences? Between all the Archons -- Phil, Perrin, Cablam, Elad, Jax, Tox, and I -- the only 'dark' characters have been sort of Perrin and my own and the only lore ever touching their theme is this lore; no one or thing previous has really done much to the majority. While yes the origin of the change is dark -- taint is specifically a varied substance of multiple definitions among dark and deity groups -- the effect is very similar to the madness of Revenants (the step above Archons, ET/LT entities), the madness around Voidal Horrors, or the madness  in red golems. Insanity does not equate to darkness. Since the inception of Voidal magic in Aegis (based slayer, tehlulu, and gaiusmarius) there's always been a pin in the trope of magic inducing mental distortions including imbalances, disorders, and general strife or lunacy. This isn't a stretch to apply such a theme to the supposed embodying race. 

I think major influence here is that I colored everything red and used dark art. This is ~2 hours of writing, I didn't make it very fashionable, I just slapped in aesthetics. Apologies if I've made things seem off compared to the idea I was trying to convey, not everything sticks when you throw spaghetti at the wall.

If Archons are meant to have mental disorders then that's fine, I understand Phil would advocate for something like this as there's already something like it should an Archon die too often. It's still not entirely following the line of being a true neutral entity in my opinion, but maybe that's just my small qualms with the basis of the lore not just this addition. As I said if the current Archons are fine with it then that doesn't entirely matter as it's their RP anywho.

EDIT: Yet I do have to disagree a bit when it comes to arcane magics having an always underlying theme of lunacy. Magic as far as I've roleplayed it and decided to interact with it is meant to be a scholarly pursuit filled with clear headedness and something mystical which can be a spiritually uplifting or enlightening experience. I guess there are just two kinds of wizards these days.

8 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

DEVIANT!!!1!1one!!1!

I'm implying that the original iteration of magic was superior and that there being different types of mages -- those with completely sound minds compared to the first being nutcrackers -- is bad in an ironic and sarcastic tone for comedic effect; the joke is lost. Sorry.

I'm just tryna gave a good time.

Went over my head lol.

EDIT: PLUS WHO'S TO SAY WHICH WAS FIRST GRR GRR FANTASY TROPES GANDALF GRR

wait I thought that Archons were supposed to be neutral what

10 hours ago, Ravondir said:

wait I thought that Archons were supposed to be neutral what

they are, they have an open-ended option for that reason. All coulds instead of shoulds regarding mental afflictions (unless we're on about death, then you slowly start to unravel the onion's layers until they fix themselves up, or they're too far gone and are plain unplayable). This is purely a Roleplay weakness that makes sense. It provides more roleplay, and more routes to take. I don't think this "tipping to a darker entity" has a lot of grounds, as an Archon can -- on their own -- be cruel and evil, nice and cheery, or simply left to their own devices. It is just a different dynamic. I don't mind this piece, and I think it is C-O-O-L 

6 hours ago, The Fire Mind said:

they are, they have an open-ended option for that reason. All coulds instead of shoulds regarding mental afflictions (unless we're on about death, then you slowly start to unravel the onion's layers until they fix themselves up, or they're too far gone and are plain unplayable). This is purely a Roleplay weakness that makes sense. It provides more roleplay, and more routes to take. I don't think this "tipping to a darker entity" has a lot of grounds, as an Archon can -- on their own -- be cruel and evil, nice and cheery, or simply left to their own devices. It is just a different dynamic. I don't mind this piece, and I think it is C-O-O-L 

sorry sir, i just found it slightly silly because this voidal man that was 'touched' and transformed by the Void can be corrupted by some random necromancer/shade out in some dark city alleyway

i mean i know some archons are on the spoopy side so they're not really neutral but i simply think that the mental instability was enough without the DA corruption

also i'm just a biased holy man so y'know

5 minutes ago, Ravondir said:

orry sir, i just found it slightly silly because this voidal man that was 'touched' and transformed by the Void can be corrupted by some random necromancer/shade out in some dark city alleyway

i mean i know some archons are on the spoopy side so they're not really neutral but i simply think that the mental instability was enough without the DA corruption

it can also be healed by a nice holy mage at any point, keep that in mind. I can understand where you're coming from, and I understand. Like I said, I personally don't mind the lore

Just now, The Fire Mind said:

it can also be healed by a nice holy mage at any point, keep that in mind. I can understand where you're coming from, and I understand. Like I said, I personally don't mind the lore

thank you for understanding sir, i just had my holy man concerns and had to type them out

thanks for taking the time out of your day to respond