[✗] [Lore Submission][Voidal] The Effects of the Void on Nature

senor_tortuga

The Effects of the Void on Nature

1aTOA2iigoryPXCdW5SBdLzmNn-j20w2w0dHkH4ROfFHAmFn3H33QVDu0L2lFSP508nPzxAMP7wnJco62xLe26egkTmqAeDlACgYGklG179Sg0hK_FozE5J4zaVPArowp8XKDYBa

By Akeli

Since before the first word was uttered, and the first step taken. There was the void.

What is the Void?

The void is an endless expanse beyond the veil, a vast realm of chaos and potential. It has no end, and had no beginning. Though all of creation is a speck to the vast endlessness of the void, it has no foothold here, kept at bay by the veil and the Vigil. Though the void seems to be a destructive force, it is simply reclaiming what it once had, as all creation comes from the void through the creator.

What is Nature?

Nature can not be spoken of as a single entity as some describe it as, because nature is more than one, it is within millions, billions. Nature is the wave of life, all those beings who house lesser souls and hold a deep connection to the very earth we stand on. These beings come in all shapes and sizes, but they are all within the hold of the aspects.

Overview

The void is unnatural, all consuming, and mysterious. Yet, there are those who walk among the Descendants who have found ways to draw power from the void. As the void seeks to consume reclaim all of creation, the use of voidal arts naturally has side effects. One such side effect is the sickness that comes with it, a constant sapping of life. This leaves the mage just a frail shell of what they once were in terms of strength. Along with the sapping of strength, if there is a constant flow of strong voidal energy in an area, be it from a failed experiment or some other sapping feat of mages, the land and the organisms which reside there can be left tainted. This sapping comes about through a sort of water-esque voidal residue that dissipates at a constant rate. When a mage draws forth power to cast a spell of normal proportions, this residue dissipates mere minutes after conjuration, leaving no harmful taint behind. Though some great voidal feats leave this residue in such great quantities that it may take days, or even decades for the residue to completely dissipate; there are some cases where this residue melds with the land and lingers. This is where the side effects come in, as when the residue rests upon an area for prolonged periods of time, the land and organisms may become tainted, twisted forms of life. While these horrifically infected  areas are possible, more diluted forms such as areas that have a great deal of magic lingering, will be able to sprout oddities such as crystalline flowers, focal crystals, and twisted forms of life, be it docile or hostile. This infection breeds both horror, and intriguing oddities.

Red Lines

• The voidal residue is totally invisible to all but those highly practiced in the voidal arts/magically attuned creatures (voidal creatures not fae and all that jazz).

• Druids are able to locate close by tainted areas through the cries of natural organisms being eaten away by the taint. Along with this, they are able to cleanse tainted land (only druids and no holy magics can cleanse the taint, as it is of the void and not of necrotic origin).

• The residue has little to no adverse side effects unless there is a constant flow of strong voidal energy in the area (the product of magical errors in great experiments, be it intentional or not).

• Residue expelled from ‘normal’ voidal feats performed by mages will dissipate near instantly to a few minutes later (depending on the proficiency of the mage), leaving little to no harm in its wake.

• These side effects can include, wilting of plants, thinning of leaves; more frail and sickly animals (Akin to voidal weakness but in organisms). However, some animals and plants afflicted by the mass of voidal energies can mutate, or have other effects.

• The voidal residue does dissipate over time, though depending on how great the feat was, it may take from a few days to decades for the land to completely recover.

• Diluted forms of this residue may trigger oddities, such as crystalline flowers, focal crystals, and twisted forms of life.

OOC

This lore is more of a clarification and something that future lore posts can be built upon. In no way is this meant to make voidal mages look like the bad guys, as the amount of residue that is needed to seriously impact an area is tremendous. I personally think many cool roleplay scenarios can come from this with the possibility of magic oddities springing up in the tainted areas.

Big thanks to Niv-Mizzet, he basically turned this from a bland heap of flour into a cake.

+1 I would love to see this take shape!

As much as I was grumpy about it previously senor tortuga made the effort to try lessening the "grr void is bad grr" lingo to a healthier amount. I feel better about this after rereading with a clearer head.

Hell. No. 

Do not attempt to say "it doesn't make voidal mages look like the bad guys" when it in fact does make them look like the bad guys. Druidism has no power over voidal magic & on a personal level I dislike the idea that druids can **** with things like my crystal gardens grown through celestialism (which aren't meant to be harmful to anyone or anything). You aren't allowing freedom of roleplay here but rather pigeon-holing voidal mages and giving druids unnecessary power.

Many of us roleplay voidal effects as much less destructive than you want to describe them as. They blend in and bind to the natural world instead of corrupting and destroying. If something is voidal tainted you will know. Not EVERYTHING has to cause a form of taint that needs to be healed but this lore essentially makes voidal taint just as evil as necromantic taint. The philosophical change must come through actual server story and not a lore submission. 

Apologies but it feels much more like a dictation for those RPing voidal magic & those that roleplay a magical enviroment. I don't like it. -1

edit: I will say that interactions had could be cool but from my experience druids are too domineering when it comes to "taint" and other such things. Frankly there is a lack of trust. 

voidal nuclear reactors

Image result for hippies

+1 i need a reason to hate void mages

1 hour ago, Sir K Andruske said:

-snip-

Pretty much this.

While I'd like to see the Void's effect on nature more defined, perhaps not quite as biased as this. BNK sums it up pretty well.

Gotta agree with the kitten. I just feel like adding a type of taint applied to the void that corrupts and can harm the land would make void magic a more destructive force. Void magic is cool because of all the ways people roleplay it, and the different type of mage niches people can find it. From harmless pacifists to mage overlords. Feel like adding a taint aspect would do three things. The first is prevent bigger spells like arcane circles to create big enchantments. As doing so would create a large amount of taint in the area the spell took place. The second would give druids more of a probable cause to hate mages, and spread a legitimate reason for people to consider void magic just as bad as dark mages. I like the idea of void magic allowing all sorts of roleplay, from it being peaceful to it being the destructive force this lore would make it out to be. Not that I don't like the idea, of course, I just think it'd kinda change the entire view people have of mages, and mages would have of mages themselves.

I'm not fond of where this is going. I'm find with it as it stands but despite you saying otherwise, I easily see this developing into a way in which the druids create lore to make their characters look like the heroes and the mages look like ****. There's already a good argument to be made on both fronts. Keep it that way instead of giving yourself empowerment through ooc lore writing because you want your character to be right.

Edited by LeoRabbit99

My opinion, as both a voidal mage and a druid, is that this lore Isn't really needed, for reasons already pointed out above.

Edited by jyecarson