Sign in to follow this  
kwakamungus

We need a new Media Team

Do we need some kind of Media team?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need some kind of Media team?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Yes, but in a different or format way then you described. (Please elaborate)
    • No, you are stupid go away.

In the past, LOTC once had a media team that was in charge of things like streaming game server, making videos and a weekly news report on YouTube. Now I don't remember the reasoning behind getting rid of it in the first place, But I think we need to bring it or something like it back. At least in some capacity, as when we did have it the server got attraction from people who watched it on youtube or twitch.

What I don't think is we need to make entirely new team for this. LOTC already has the Event Team which has all the pex powers they would need to do something like this. I purpose we make a new minor team within the Event Team for a media team. This team will be in charge of streaming on twitch, making videos and news update for YouTube, and in charge of the (now dead) LOTC Reddit page. If the server could get a group like this running it may bring new people to the server and perhaps even some old ones back.

Here is an exaple of the kind of thing the old media team used to do.

LOTCBC- Lord of the Craft Report (Week 1)

It may not have been done very well, but they still did it and gave it their best shot at making something for the server.

Edited by kwakamungus

The server actually needs to be enjoyable for new RPers and have a retention rate higher than that of a nazi death camp before this will do anything positive

This has been brought of a few times by various members of the community, but I've always been skeptical about the implementation of a new version of the Media Team. I'll sum it up in a few points-

Creativity can't be forced. A quota system wouldn't work, and there would be no way to measure the amount of work being done or the time being put into it. I believe this is what made the Media Team such an unstable team and caused it to be diminished in the first place; there was a lot of motivation and excitement to work on different projects in the beginning, but absolutely no way to ensure a constant stream of work.

As you know, staff positions always come with pex. Depending on the type of media someone is working on, they may or may not occasionally need to use the pex given to them. Vanish, fly, and spectator mode would certainly be helpful for someone using them to create videos for the YouTube channel, but that wouldn't be necessary for someone who's merely running the Reddit page. Staff roles should outline a specific set of tasks, and pex are only distributed to those that will be using them frequently for set jobs. With your idea in particular, the Event Team would become bloated for members of a sub-team that don't actually work on events, and also don't need their pex the majority of the time. (I may have worded this flimsy. Apologies in advance.)

People have always been able to work on personal projects, which is the reason the Media Team sub-forum is still up. Anyone is allowed to create their own media to help spread word of the server and/or provide entertainment to it's members. Having a tag isn't a requirement for this, just a group of buddies who have a shared goal and the set of skills to accomplish the task. This way, people can work at their own pace and still provide the server with great content.

That being said, I agree that it would be nice to see someone take charge of proactively keeping the server's various social media platform profiles alive. Could be a good project for the community Admin, or even a GM to fulfill.

A team wouldn't work for the reasons Vaynth said, but it wouldn't work as someone's 'project' imo. Media is a full time role - we need an admin who is skilled at this stuff constantly pumping out content - videos, graphics, promo etc - as their sole admin role. Servers need this to grow and we've been lacking it for some time. It's not something that someone can pick up to check of the 'did a project' box on their monthly report - it's something the server constantly needs a dedicated, skilled person doing.

38 minutes ago, Kowaman said:

we need an admin who is skilled at this stuff constantly pumping out content - videos, graphics, promo etc - as their sole admin role

^

Ye I can agree with that Kowa. Making it a single long term position would be much better than making media promotions a project on the side of other things, certainly. A main focus on it would ensure it is continuous and there is effort being put into it.

What you're suggesting is basically a full time job, wait no it actually is a full time job for some people on youtube. They don't all do it by themselves they have a few friends/team members that help them. That being said some publicity for the server would be good, but it also comes with its downsides as we saw with that one youtuber GizzyGaza. Although it may have not been the publicity we all wanted to see it was some form of publicity and I bet we saw an influx of new players because of it. A media team would be nice but for it to be properly implemented and for it to pump out content like you're suggesting every week/month it would be one of the hardest positions available to volunteers on LotC.

You would have to find enough people who actually care enough to put some effort into making media. And they also need to have decent skills for it. We used to have people like that but they made the smart decision to leave this server.

Your other option is to pay someone to do stuff. But we all know Tythus needs the money to buy Burger King's.

Also, becoming ET is basically a downgrade at this point so I wouldn't look there.

It would be a good idea to at least get one or two people to work on it as a full time thing. As getting promotion out there is something that lotc needs right now. I think that having one or two videos a month that promote the server would be a good place to start. prehaps having interviews with the staff and important figures in RP such as nation leaders.

8 hours ago, Kowaman said:

A team wouldn't work for the reasons Vaynth said, but it wouldn't work as someone's 'project' imo. Media is a full time role - we need an admin who is skilled at this stuff constantly pumping out content - videos, graphics, promo etc - as their sole admin role. Servers need this to grow and we've been lacking it for some time. It's not something that someone can pick up to check of the 'did a project' box on their monthly report - it's something the server constantly needs a dedicated, skilled person doing.

While I disagree that a media team wouldn't work, I also disagree that it should be some GM's pet project that they forget about in a couple of weeks. Promoting someone as a media admin would be a step in the right direction, and if other creative folks come out of the woodwork a media team would be feasible. What we really need to do though is make more contests! 

Edited by chardiddler

We've done this a few times before and it ends the same way. Some things are made, media team gets burned out and becomes inactive. 

On 10/22/2017 at 3:35 AM, iMattyz said:

The server actually needs to be enjoyable for new RPers and have a retention rate higher than that of a nazi death camp before this will do anything positive

Matthew is correct on this one, I believe with the amount of turmoil between the playebase and certain staff teams, it would be best for the community to resolve these solutions before doing any big advertising. 

LotC had a massive media presence across YouTube back in the day, and even now when I ask most new players how they found the server, it's through the old YouTube videos. We need more of them.