The Buchteln

Babehab

The Buchteln

And its Founding Spirit

Writing: Aehab

Original Concept: Sobermutt

kbSq6XILFT4ZblQdgrs0eYLdxvfk699omXzRdH_iSwuLrd02EKp10AYSKsWrrXQbuU9L9_wBuQ_Vp68naY8MYpiy_KypXr_EMYnRz7LJmlAf-rfmEIJnttVNNMUjpjKvqYkC57GZ

Joretel

Spirit of Food, Chefs, and Merriment.

Appears as a plump, cheerful woman dressed in barmaid garb.

Joretel grew envious of dedicated Izkuthii, longing for her own followers to spread mirth in her wake. She sought out skilled chefs and bakers, those she deemed worthy to carry out her will, and bestowed her teachings upon them. 

Veist, Spirit of Tricks, Thieves, and Illusions observed the unfortunate events from afar, and saw opportunity. He opted to prey upon her desperation, offering his assistance in the matter.

The two collaborated, creating the craft of the Feastmasters.

Unbeknownst to the content and comfortable Joretel, Veist continued to work. He twisted the spirit’s vision to his own benefit, cursing unfortunate descendants to harvest dark energies for later mischievous use, these cursed descendants would come to be lightheartedly referred to as Susteknights.

The Feastmasters spread joy and good food, accepting the Susteknights as their brothers in arms, the two groups banding together as the Buchteln.

SNYBt8aroStp0OBZifpZvp6j_VC5c7w828vQVsf26HKnxYmGZbAo-QgtqfYjgb-1YFT4WsL43XlBiyrO_C3_eEnpLaW7BDDpXrSRSNRS0xaULMOZj5xdGQYHN3mIOLTOzS41_d0U

(Paizo, Pathfinder Art)

Feastmasters

Masters of the Feast

yuAFMmtHd7N4kbQsIy6V1iNgM7BruJ_3WyLFKim2vT-Vk-EgjqTbYLtayoS4ZLKfMA5wSdbDklsOxKknzXrEfp8VWhyHosJVmzpj5E-Z_PsT6_jRXDpeAW_0bG2P7PgP_kidB8Oo

(https://michalivan.deviantart.com/art/goulash-297261578)

Skilled chefs chosen by Joretel as her culinary champions, Feastmasters promote prosperity by cooking divine-tasting dishes for the masses, as well as for themselves.

Imbuing

These delicious foods, referred to as “Ambrosia”, are imbued with the tricksy magic of Veist, invoking strong emotional effects on those who eat them. While these effects are typically positive, it isn’t unheard-of for an ambrosial dish to invoke negative feelings within the person who ate it. Luckily for the consumer, the effects of negative emotions are far less potent than the positive ones (Examples: Sadness, Anger, Disgust)

The process of imbuing food is practically automatic. The Feastmaster must focus solely on the creation of their ambrosia, whilst attempting to invoke the emotions they wish to imbue within themselves.

A Feastmaster who is or becomes angsty and depressed for long periods of time loses touch with Joretel’s gift. Feastmasters are meant to be the life of the party, after all.

Becoming a Feastmaster

To become a Feastmaster, a specific, special broth must be brewed, the chefs hissing quiet prayers to Joretel in Old Blah. Should the prospective chef drink the broth, they would lose consciousness, briefly communing with Joretel. From there, the spirit bestows her blessing upon them.

Redlines

-Ambrosial food only retains its magical properties while it’s fresh

-Ambrosial food does not harm dark beings, it doesn’t help them either. That is, unless they’re draughted, living, or capable of taste, in which case they react to it like anyone else.

-While the exact emotional effects of Ambrosial food are not listed, Love or affection are strictly prohibited.

-Ambrosial food cannot be used to control the actions of a person in any way. They may, however, influence their mood or general disposition. For example: Courage Ambrosia would strongly influence a person’s mood, temporarily making them the type to “Laugh in the face of danger”, if they weren’t already. Meanwhile, Anger Ambrosia would have a much weaker effect, maybe making the consumer slightly more irritable than usual.

-The Feastmaster is unable to become a Susteknight, and vice versa.

-A Feastmaster may practice other magics, excluding those of another deific figure.

Susteknights

Knights of the Buchteln

Those tricked by Veist into accepting a curse, Susteknights live in a delusion where corrupted beings and places appear to be made of various foods; They’ve been led to believe that this tragic illusion is reality, that they were blinded to it before.

T81gstygO9kQIW7VuDnGDMPvPkjAsb9enJ21iktqaQthj4H578UIBc0KSdHMOFiyxig8g97zSFFMDOLeTyzTprcNQFtOe2dX6-Fo7EolSc1cdu0uNVeTx6y_wMcxzGA6P81zqeJk

(Overlord 2 Concept Art)

A particularly angry wood elven Susteknight

To a Susteknight, this “food” rivals the ambrosial delicacies of the Feastmaster, and while it might normally sicken or injure someone to consume these vile substances, the Susteknight seem to be unaffected. That’s not to say that they are immune to the effects of these substances, or the dark magics attached to them-- On the contrary, Susteknights may be drained by a necromancer, or shredded to pieces by a shade--, but their mouths and gutty works are, at the very least, incredibly resistant.

Once the corrupted substance reaches their stomach, it is spirited away and replaced by some heavy food worth actual sustenance.

The Susteknight’s teeth act similarly to gold towards spectral creatures, in the sense that they would be able to bite off chunks of them if given the chance, but that is where the similarities end. It does not instantly kill them, nor does it cause them great pain.

Mimicking

When the Susteknight consumes a sufficient amount of a dark being (Roughly an arm or a leg’s worth), an easily audible gurgling emits from their stomach. For the short time that this sound and feeling persists, if the Susteknight desires, they may summon forth a crude illusory imitation of the consumed being’s related magic, oftentimes to the detriment to both themselves and their opponent.

Like all illusion, Mimicking tricks the minds of those affected. Regardless of if they’re certain it’s real or not, their brain, and especially their body, will react reflexively to the stimuli.

Spoiler

Mysticism

The Susteknight conjures forth a large, opaque fog. Unlike deadbreath, no person or being is able to see through or within the fog, even the Susteknight.

[The fog may smell like any food the caster desires, covers 6 to 7 blocks for half an hour or 10 emotes]

Necromancy

The Susteknight chooses a single person, causing them to feel insatiably hungry for normal food, at the very least distracting the victim from the matters at hand.

[Persists for anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, it’s up to the victim]

Shade

The Susteknight appears to temporarily ‘conjure’ tendrils made of some sort of chocolate. They are able to control these illusory tendrils for however long they remain, but they cannot effect any real object or person physically.

[Lasts for 10 minutes or 5 emotes]

Resonant Knight/Abyss Knight

The Susteknight conjures a slow-moving projectile in the shape of a cupcake or some sort of bread. When it makes contact with a victim, it crumbles to dust, a feeling of intense pain washing over the area of impact. Nonetheless, the victim receives no physical damage.

[The pain is initially very sharp, and slowly begins to dull, before fading completely]

Frost Witch

The Susteknight can temporarily change aspects of their face and body. Receiving physical damage causes the illusion to fizzle out.

[Lasts for an hour]

Becoming a Susteknight

To become a Susteknight, the inducting knight must assist a Feastmaster in the sacred, ritualistic baking of a mythical cupcake. They must bring their own hand-made flour for the batter-- their intent to unknowingly spread the curse spurring it on to transmit into the flour-- and then watch over the sacred sweet as it bakes.

The prospective Susteknight consumes the cupcake while it’s still fresh. Over the course of the next six to eight hours, any dark beings they witness would seem to shimmer and glitch, before seeming to transform into food.

[In OOC terms, a Susteknight with a TA collaborates with a Feastmaster to make a magic cupcake, then the student eats said cupcake and becomes just as delusional as their master. ]

Redlines

-Doesn’t make your teeth or jaws stronger. Trying to bite into, say, a paleknight, will only bring injury to the biter.

-Due to the nature of the Susteknight’s “blessing”, they are completely unaware of the presence of Veist’s illusions in their life.

-Susteknights are able to learn most other magics, aside from deific magics, and dark magics that fully corrupt or alter their being. The act would either break their mind beyond repair or cause them to literally eat themselves to death. This only results in a PK if they willingly let this occur.

-If a dark being’s true form is disguised or otherwise obscured, it will appear as it truly does. That means draughted spooks, husked wraiths/wights, or disguised frost witches would appear normally. 

-A continuation of the line above, armor and clothing appears as it truly does, unless the armor is also corrupted/tainted. For example, a Darkstalker may look like skeleton-shaped breadsticks, but the Susteknight wouldn’t know that if they were fully covered by armor.

-Unless the dark mage's form is visibly corrupted (A Daeva in their Daeva form, or a necromancer that is also a lich), they will retain their normal look in the eyes of the Susteknight.

-A Susteknight is unable to become a Feastmaster, and vice versa

Disconnection

While the devotees of the Buchteln prefer to speak about their internal issues over a feast and ale, sometimes cutting off a particularly troublesome member of their flock is unavoidable. The ritual of disconnection is one that may be learned by both Susteknights and Feastmasters, but is closely guarded and scarcely spoken about due to its dire implications. Bringing it up is a surefire way to kill a Buchteln-hosted party.

The disconnecting person(s) must prepare and bake a gingerbread person resembling the victim-- It mustn’t be perfect, but a person must be able to reasonably see the resemblance-- whilst thinking upon their grievances. This imbues the humanoid cookie with the baker’s intent. They must then feed it to the victim with a side of wine.

Those who evade capture and disconnection by the Buchteln are solemnly referred to as “The Ginger Marked”.

Edited by Babehab

I like this a lot. 

Before this lore can even be reasonably considered by any single person, the lore owner must agree that all frost witches will appear as ice cream, snow cones, fudge sundae, malts. 

I put my foot down and demand this!

+1 i like this, made me laugh when i seen the overlord fat asses who always jump your ship and make your minions fell in love with them. Stinking fattys

rxNrh1G.jpg

genuinely frightening

exactly what this server needs to combat the rising tide of darkness.

Edited by tavern_roleplay

4 hours ago, zaezae said:

Before this lore can even be reasonably considered by any single person, the lore owner must agree that all frost witches will appear as ice cream, snow cones, fudge sundae, malts. 

I put my foot down and demand this!

How any specific thing looks is really up to the player

but I'd do it

4 hours ago, adamc2000 said:

+1 i like this, made me laugh when i seen the overlord fat asses who always jump your ship and make your minions fell in love with them. Stinking fattys

I was thinking of Overlord the entire time

12 minutes ago, Balthasar said:

love seeing some less serious submissions, this is great!

Thanks

12 hours ago, Babehab said:

Skilled chefs chosen by Joretel as her culinary champions

So you're saying that a lesser Spirit is somehow communing with mortals that aren't even Shamans or know Old Blah, to even begin to make a communication with these people.

The obscure spirit Joretel looked upon the Clerics of Tahariae, and longed for such loyal and devoted servants.

Spirits are very arrogant, and would certainly not be jealous of Clerics, and especially don't care whether or not your devoted. They will not go out of their way to make you devoted... They care for power but couldn't care less about groups of people who don't even consider their existence, let along the religion of the people actually devoted to Spirits (Orcs)

She sought out skilled chefs and bakers, those she deemed worthy to carry out her will, and bestowed her teachings upon them.

How.

are imbued with the tricksy magic of Veist, invoking strong emotional effects on those who eat them. While these effects are typically positive

So you're saying that the Spirit of Illusion, Tricks, and Thievery is going to imbue something with positive effects. Not only this, but it's basically trying to Spirit Smith food...

The process of imbuing food is practically automatic. The Feastmaster must focus solely on the creation of their ambrosia, whilst attempting to invoke the emotions they wish to imbue within themselves.

You're suggesting that these people can wield the power of Spirits without the power of Old Blah or knowledge of Shamanism... Whilst also not providing a sacrifice to which the Spirits can grow with power. So far the only Spirit that can imbue things properly to make a connection to the mortal world is Gentharuz: through Spirit Smithing... and he's certainly not prevalent.

Should the prospective chef drink the broth, they would lose consciousness, briefly communing with Joretel. From there, the spirit bestows her blessing upon them.

This is somewhat closer to making sense, however I don't see why Joretel would just straight up bless them as a lesser Spirit, without gaining anything return. Not only this, but these people are definitely lacking in Old Blah, hence making it almost impossible to commune with said Spirits.

Those tricked by Veist into accepting a curse, Susteknights live in a delusion where corrupted beings and places appear to be made of various foods; They’ve been led to believe that this tragic illusion is reality, that they were blinded to it before.

This genuinely makes a lot of sense, as Veist would want to **** with them all.

or the dark magics attached to them

Spirits would have nothing to do with Dark Magic, aside from Ixli

but their mouths and gutty works are, at the very least, incredibly resistant.

How? Why? And how would Veist, who holds no power over the realm of 'resistance and strength' even be able to do such things. They are illusions, not reality.

Once the corrupted substance reaches their stomach, it is spirited away and replaced by some heavy food worth actual sustenance.

Void magic? This makes no sense to me.

The Susteknight’s teeth act similarly to gold towards spectral creatures,

Please explain how this works. Neither Veist or this Joretel could ever influence this. No ritual could ever result in this through the Spirits mentioned.

The Susteknight conjures forth a large, opaque fog

'Conjures' suggests the act of void magic... This is clearly Shamanism, due to the influence of Spirits. So this is also wrong.

The Susteknight appears to temporarily ‘conjure’ tendrils made of some sort of chocolate. They are able to control these illusory tendrils for however long they remain, but they cannot effect any real object or person physically.

Lets suggest that you could in fact do this:

1) It's pointless, why would you

2) Why would Veist even grant mortals this power... They've 'communicated' with Joretel, not Veist... This isn't possible

The Susteknight conjures a slow-moving projectile in the shape of a cupcake or some sort of bread.

Doesn't work with Shamanism. You cannot conjure anything with the power of Spirits.

The Susteknight can temporarily change aspects of their face and body. Receiving physical damage causes the illusion to fizzle out.

This is somewhat possible... But not in the way you describe it.

the inducting knight must assist a Feastmaster in the sacred, ritualistic baking of a mythical cupcake

Please go into detail about the ritual... There must be at least some semblance of Shamanism to use the power of Spirits... Old blah, Chants, Sacrifice.

-Susteknights are able to learn most other magics

The Spirits are arrogant pricks, and would not appreciate you meddling in power that does not stem from them, especially void magic: resulting in them probably twisting things around on you or removing the blessing.

On the other hand, the concept itself is quite interesting and I'm sure it could somehow be done... But not in the way described here. You'd probably not prefer the interference of Shamans here, but I can't just let this sit here without some clarification on how the Spirits can be used. Sorry if I seem rather aggressive or rude in the way I'm criticising this, but I felt I needed to get some things across.

Edited by Moby_Derp

1 minute ago, Moby_Derp said:

You seem very aggressive, but I understand your concern. I enjoy the concept, and if it's denied I'll tweak it to make it work within the current premise. Without allowing shamans to control who gets the magic.

Just now, Babehab said:

Without allowing shamans to control who gets the magic.

I assure you that the we're not controlling who gets the magic, it's just it that Old Blah is what makes shamanism possible... and you need a Shaman to teach it.

6 minutes ago, Moby_Derp said:

I assure you that the we're not controlling who gets the magic, it's just it that Old Blah is what makes shamanism possible... and you need a Shaman to teach it.

Regardless, I'll make minor tweaks here and there where I can to make it work better.