The Buchteln

Babehab

Just now, Babehab said:

Regardless, I'll make minor tweaks here and there where I can to make it work better.

Of course, that's perfectly reasonable.

9 minutes ago, Moby_Derp said:

This is entirely Mysticism.

I'm unsure where the misconception of tendrils being related to mysticism comes from, when in fact shades are the spooks that possess edgy tendrils.

Maybe a mystic who possessed illusionary void magic could cause the illusion of tendrils (similar to what's described), but that could be applied to anyone with illusionary void magic. Your logic seems quite odd.

2 minutes ago, Krugalicious said:

I'm unsure where the misconception of tendrils being related to mysticism comes from, when in fact shades are the spooks that possess edgy tendrils.

Apologies, I think I was looking at one of the previous quotes before that when I was writing it, I'll edit that in just a moment.

13 hours ago, Babehab said:

Joretel

Spirit of Food, Chefs, and Merriment.

Appears as a plump, cheerful woman dressed in barmaid garb.

Personally, I would propose this on its own and then the rest of the lore.

The obscure spirit Joretel looked upon the Clerics of Tahariae, and longed for such loyal and devoted servants. She sought out skilled chefs and bakers, those she deemed worthy to carry out her will, and bestowed her teachings upon them.

It's already clear that you know not how spirits nor shamanism works.

Yet it wasn’t enough. Her student lacked the devotion Joretel longed for. They were not the jolly heralds of feasts and merriment she seeked, instead they chose to sell their talent for outrageous abundances of minae.

Veist, Spirit of Tricks, Thieves, and Illusions observed the unfortunate events from afar, and saw opportunity. He opted to prey upon her desperation, offering his assistance in the matter.

This is alright.

The two collaborated, creating the craft of the Feastmasters.

From all my experience with hearing and witnessing stories of Viest and how he works and how shamans have devoted themselves to him, this is not at all something that Veist would do. (Just from my experience, I'm sure that @CosmicWhaleShark and @Burkester could give some more insight.)

Skilled chefs chosen by Joretel as her culinary champions, Feastmasters promote prosperity by cooking divine-tasting dishes for the masses, as well as for themselves.

I believe that the spirit would require some kind of credit or devotion in exchange for such a gift.

These delicious foods, referred to as “Ambrosia”, are imbued with the tricksy magic of Veist, invoking strong emotional effects on those who eat them. While these effects are typically positive, it isn’t unheard-of for an ambrosial dish to invoke negative feelings within the person who ate it. Luckily for the consumer, the effects of negative emotions are far less potent than the positive ones (Examples: Sadness, Anger, Disgust)

The process of imbuing food is practically automatic. The Feastmaster must focus solely on the creation of their ambrosia, whilst attempting to invoke the emotions they wish to imbue within themselves.

Like it was said before me, this is essentially Spirit Smithing... food? Ehh... Not really original, though perhaps there is room to write an entire shamanism branch by making deals with spirits in exchange for blessing appropriate crafts...

Feastmasters are meant to be the life of the party, after all.

I don't think a spirit would particularly care, so long as they are given the glory and recognition that they were promised. Though you could try to argue that if a shaman were to be unable to give the promised glory to the spirit in a depressed state but I do not believe this to be true at all.

Becoming a Feastmaster

To become a Feastmaster, a specific, special broth must be brewed. Should the prospective chef drink the broth, they would lose consciousness, briefly communing with Joretel. From there, the spirit bestows her blessing upon them.

I do not believe this is, at all, an adequate way to make a pact or deal with a spirit. You would need to travel to their realm and speak the Old Blah. 

-Ambrosial food does not harm dark beings, it doesn’t help them either. That is, unless they’re draughted, living, or capable of taste, in which case they react to it like anyone else.

I'd like to see some elaboration on why exactly this is. I'm no expert on the dark arts but this generally doesn't make much sense to me.

-While the exact emotional effects of Ambrosial food are not listed, Love or affection are strictly prohibited

This is good, I believe that things like love potions have been banned in the past. Though I would like to see some lore reasoning as to why this is.

Susteknights

Knights of the Buchteln

This part bares many of the same issues as the last and is generally missing a connection to Veist, the contract making process and aside from that I'd like to see how exactly the food disappears in their stomach. Where does it go? I don't believe that Veist can make it truly vanish. The transformation process is kinda meme-y with the entire cupcake bit and also lacks the travelling to the spirit realm to make a connection and use of the Old Blah that the first form lacked.

-Susteknights are able to learn most other magics, aside from dark magics that fully corrupt or alter their being. The act would either break their mind beyond repair or cause them to literally eat themselves to death. This only results in a PK if they willingly let this occur.

I have a serious issue with this because I do not think that a spirit would bestow their blessing onto a person and then be accepting of them learning another mystical art or even another Deity magic.

Redlines

I would like to see a part that says that a player can't just trade a Susteknight their finger nails or hair or something so that they can mimic their power. I can already see this kind of thing being abused.

The disconnecting person(s) must prepare and bake a gingerbread person resembling the victim-- It mustn’t be perfect, but a person must be able to reasonably see the resemblance-- whilst thinking upon their grievances. This imbues the humanoid cookie with the baker’s intent. They must then feed it to the victim with a side of wine.

This seems oddly specific and I'd like to see some lore on why the specifics are there, like a glass of wine...

-=+=-

Overall I think the piece is poorly written and that the author should have learned more about how the spirits usually act and maybe even contacted somebody who is knowledgeable in such. Like a Shamanism LT member. It's a strong -1 from me but I am interested in how this idea evolves and progresses from its initial state. Good luck.

23 minutes ago, _Jandy_ said:

I would like to see a part that says that a player can't just trade a Susteknight their finger nails or hair or something so that they can mimic their power. I can already see this kind of thing being abused.

There's the part in the lore where it specifies that the knight would have to consume a fairly large amount of the creature, an arm or a leg's worth. A fingernail or hair wouldn't cut it.

Just now, Babehab said:

There's the part in the lore where it specifies that the knight would have to consume a fairly large amount of the creature, an arm or a leg's worth. A fingernail or hair wouldn't cut it.

It may be possible to save up the smaller parts and consume a large amount of them at once.

26 minutes ago, _Jandy_ said:

I'd like to see some elaboration on why exactly this is. I'm no expert on the dark arts but this generally doesn't make much sense to me.

UpvoteUpvote

Because spooks are still effected by illusions like everyone else

Just now, _Jandy_ said:

It may be possible to save up the smaller parts and consume a large amount of them at once.

It really depends on the creature. Regardless, the mimicking abilities are all illusion. They can't cause any physical damage to a person past making them feel pain, in the case of the resonant knight cleric ball thing.

TBH I think some other kind of patron would be more fitting. Surely "Spirits" aren't the only spiritual things to use right?

5 minutes ago, zaezae said:

TBH I think some other kind of patron would be more fitting. Surely "Spirits" aren't the only spiritual things to use right?

Getting an Aengul or Daemon passed is apparently very difficult these days. I wanted to save myself some trouble and try this first.

1 hour ago, zaezae said:

Surely we shouldn't try to expand on spiritual influence throughout the setting in order to enhance and deepen the setting's fluff, and keep everything in the hands of the shamans/dark shamans, yes? Let's just keep something with great potential all confined to a small group and never let it become a potential highlight of the setting. 

In all seriousness, the piece requires some edits, but otherwise might set a standard where the spirits (And the spirit realm) are more utilized in the fluff than they are currently.

1 hour ago, Krugalicious said:

Surely we shouldn't try to expand on spiritual influence throughout the setting in order to enhance and deepen the setting's fluff, and keep everything in the hands of the shamans/dark shamans, yes? Let's just keep something with great potential all confined to a small group and never let it become a potential highlight of the setting. 

If you can't speak Old Blah you cannot effectively communicate with spirits (especially to make a pact), it's fairly simple. Even then the use of the spirits is currently expanding, the Dark Elves just recently began learning their own form of Shamanism and their lore was created correctly. It was done with the people who have experience with the spirits and standard Shamans. I don't think it would go over well if somebody who knew the bare minimum about the Aspects or Tarihae tried to write lore on a new branch of the magic and the writer had just completely been oblivious to the basic characteristic of the deities behaviors. Yes, shamanism is great and has plenty of potential but lore for their spirits should be written alongside the people who actually know about such.

(Also I think it has been a major highlight of the LotC setting. For example when a realm was ended because of it thinking face)

5 minutes ago, _Jandy_ said:

If you can't speak Old Blah you cannot effectively communicate with spirits (especially to make a pact), it's fairly simple. Even then the use of the spirits is currently expanding, the Dark Elves just recently began learning their own form of Shamanism and their lore was created correctly. It was done with the people who have experience with the spirits and standard Shamans. I don't think it would go over well if somebody who knew the bare minimum about the Aspects of Tarihae tried to write lore on a new branch of the magic and the writer had just completely been oblivious to the basic characteristic of the deities behaviors. Yes, shamanism is great and has plenty of potential but lore for their spirits should be written alongside the people who actually know about such.

(Also I think it has been a major highlight of the LotC setting. For example when a realm was ended because of it thinking face)

Well, the point was that maybe capitol S "The Spirits" That shamanists are concerned with surely aren't the only beings of a spiritual nature

8 minutes ago, zaezae said:

Well, the point was that maybe capitol S "The Spirits" That shamanists are concerned with surely aren't the only beings of a spiritual nature

I'm so confused with what you're trying to say...

5 minutes ago, _Jandy_ said:

If you can't speak Old Blah you cannot effectively communicate with spirits (especially to make a pact), it's fairly simple. Even then the use of the spirits is currently expanding, the Dark Elves just recently began learning their own form of Shamanism and their lore was created correctly. It was done with the people who have experience with the spirits and standard Shamans. I don't think it would go over well if somebody who knew the bare minimum about the Aspects of Tarihae tried to write lore on a new branch of the magic and the writer had just completely been oblivious to the basic characteristic of the deities behaviors. Yes, shamanism is great and has plenty of potential but lore for their spirits should be written alongside the people who actually know about such.

>When nobody gives a **** about a rogue immortal spirit ending the map because orcs and their general existence are ignored by most RPers on a day-to-day basis due to teen drama rp taking more precedence than orc rp and thus void magic becomes a highlight instead

Yes, in order to communicate with spirits effectively, one requires the use of old blah (although not old blah alone, since it has been shown that spirits are perfectly capable of speaking other tongues), and traces of that need to be added to this lore submission (as I said, the fluff needs some editing). However, other aspects, such as them being able to learn other magics, and a spirit being jealous of another deity...well, given the nature of spirits, there aren't as many problems as you seem to believe.

For example, when it comes to other magics, I see little reason a spirit would find it disrespectful if someone using abilities derived from them also used other, non-spiritual magical abilities in conjunction. However, there are obvious red lines here. A spirit would definitely get pissed if a follower were to use magic from completely different type of deity (thus, no other deifics), or if they used an ability that reflected what they represented without actually being derived from them (for example, Skatach would get pretty pissed if someone with fire elementalism also practiced fire evocation). However, otherwise, the spirit probably wouldn't be too dissatisfied. This is further supported by the fact that the current ruling that "spirits get mad at followers when getting ANY OTHER MAGIC" isn't as much done out of IC reasoning and more as an OOC measure to prevent orcs from practicing other magics. As a former orc player myself, I can certainly recognize the ooc reasoning behind it, but in practice it needs revision. 

As for a spirit being jealous of a non-spiritual deity: All spirits desire power. Hence why they grow jealous of one another, war and ally with one another. Now, since the proposition that the spirit realm is in a vacuum separate from every other celestial or otherwise nonphysical group of deities is just flat out S T U P I D in this writer's opinion (since a bunch of deific **** existing in separate vaccums only serves to drive cliques further into seclusion) and everything should be somewhat interconnected, I see no reason why a spirit would not envy a deity more powerful than itself unless it was in service to said deity (as is the case with greater and lesser spirits). 

Spirits as a concept need to extend further than mere variations of shamanism and shamanistic creatures, and as stated before, a revised version of this lore could set the standard for more things of this nature.