The forums have been updated to IPS Community Version 4.2.2 - We're still working on improving the theme for everyone to enjoy so please hang tight. We will also hopefully have new features soon to share with you all.

Welcome to The Lord Of The Craft

We're currently the #1 Minecraft Roleplaying Server, fitted with custom plugins, a unique crafting system, custom character cards and an incredibly active and passionate community; We're serious about Roleplay and we're always eager for new faces!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Vaynth

[Your View] Application Team

20 posts in this topic

Hail LOTC community!

I hope you're all having a wonderful and spoopy October so far. We'd like to gather opinions on how others feel our team structure is doing, and ways we can improve upon the viewpoints of those outside the team. Any and all feedback is valuable to us, as long as it’s worded respectfully. I personally love that we see fresh new (pixel) faces applying to join us every day, and want to help the ease the server in the direction of growing rather than our numbers remaining mostly stagnant as they have been. With the new map upcoming, now is one of the best times to address these issues. There’s definitely much room for improvement.

Topics with the potential to be discussed:

- Ease of joining the server (ex. Do you think the application itself is reasonably fair to those who don’t know much about the server and/or it’s lore yet?)

- Encouraging role-play between well established and unaccustomed players

- Ways to better assist new players in-game and on the forums

- Cloud Temple navigation (Anything concerning the Tutorial Island can go on Wrynn’s thread here)

- Keeping our newbies online within their first few minutes

- The current team quota system and how it affects application wait time

- Long term project ideas (If you would like to know what we’re already working on, check out our latest monthly update log for details.)

- Ideas for written tutorials, video tutorials, and possible future contests

That's all I could think of for now. Thank you in advance guys, have a lovely weekend.
~Vaynth

7 minutes ago, Vaynth said:

- The current team quota system and how it affects application wait time

I'm not the person with the answer to the issue, right now, but I'd really like to see something change about the amount of time apps sit at the end of the month. Of course people have hit their quota and don't have much incentive to do more apps than are asked from them but when apps end up sitting for 14-18 hours because there is a major issue among the team I find an issue with that.

I think that the AT is fine, what creates player retention are the nations, since the AT can't babysit players forever and feed them stuff to do in case they think that the server might go stagnant.

you guys are doing fine, don't worry :yay:

27 minutes ago, Vaynth said:

- Ideas for written tutorials, video tutorials, and possible future contests

On a completely separate thing, video tutorials don't work without a dedicated singular person or a working media team that is led by a person that creates media

26 minutes ago, Vaynth said:

Ease of joining the server (ex. Do you think the application itself is reasonably fair to those who don’t know much about the server and/or it’s lore yet?)

Personally, I think it's not too hard to join the server. The problem is learning the lore, meaning the applicant or new player has to look the forums/wiki for any lore relating to the current time. I think a small post or a few posts, could be written and let newer players easily and quickly learn the essential lore on the server. It can be very tough for new players to find lore. Some essential lore could be the roleplay history of LoTC, the current existing nations and the most prominent races, which I think are easy to find on the wiki and forums.

To clarify, it would be great to see a post or some posts, where a new or old player can read the essential server lore within an hour. This was really just my two cents, all of this might exist already, but oh well.

all good imo

1 hour ago, Balthasar said:

Personally, I think it's not too hard to join the server. The problem is learning the lore, meaning the applicant or new player has to look the forums/wiki for any lore relating to the current time. I think a small post or a few posts, could be written and let newer players easily and quickly learn the essential lore on the server. It can be very tough for new players to find lore. Some essential lore could be the roleplay history of LoTC, the current existing nations and the most prominent races, which I think are easy to find on the wiki and forums.

To clarify, it would be great to see a post or some posts, where a new or old player can read the essential server lore within an hour. This was really just my two cents, all of this might exist already, but oh well.

This.

A condensed page/post that contains all of the essential server lore could be quite useful for newcomers and veterans alike. Perhaps have separate links within that could lead to specific wiki pages.

E.g:

Click here for further information on Humans!

I appreciate all of the feedback so far! Definitely going to be utilizing all of these awesome suggestions.

What follows is purely my opinion so take it as such.,..

a) the app form is severely outdated. Questions that previously worked for new players simply do not right now. The lore is too complex, the legacy of past maps too long, and the plugins too damn stupid  for new players to also have to answer the app questions as they are currently. There shouldn't be any focus on a character's origin and ambitions as usually, these things are so subject to change when players learn what LotC is actually like. Personality of your character can also change. The only thing the application process should screen for is an ability to learn and eagerness to partake in RP within Minecraft.

I haven't seen concrete evidence the current gating of new players is keeping RP quality high. Especially because we have so many older players who have gotten bored and resort to memes way too often. Old players don't take the game seriously anymore. New blood is welcome even if they need to learn.

b) the app form can also be greatly simplified by being turned into an actual page on lotc.co instead of a subforum. I am talking a PHP form (not a google form) which has questions on race, gender, name in textboxes, as well as easily accessible, relevant links next to every question box.  The metagame and roleplay questions should be turned into multiple choice radio boxes (What is Roleplay? + textbox and "Which of these is metagaming?" + 4 scenarios). This can severely cut off overhead for LTs checking the applications and MASSIVELY saves reading and navigating time for new players, which right now is simply too extensive.

Going to take some time to give responses to these suggestions and opinions ^^

23 hours ago, Sporadic said:

There shouldn't be any focus on a character's origin and ambitions as usually, these things are so subject to change when players learn what LotC is actually like.

I'll keep what you said about ambitions and such in mind, certainly. You've bought up a valid point here.

The lore is too complex, the legacy of past maps too long, and the plugins too damn stupid  for new players to also have to answer the app questions as they are currently.

When it comes to lore and other things, we always ask for brief answers. If they simply glance at the racial section on the Wiki and say "My Wood Elf is from Linandria", that is quite enough for the lore portion to get by. The main point of this addition is to make sure they realize our server has it's own unique lore, and that it's not just some copy of LOTR; something a lot of new players make the mistake of assuming.

the app form can also be greatly simplified by being turned into an actual page on lotc.co instead of a subforum. I am talking a PHP form (not a google form)

An actual form on the website is something I've personally suggested and pitched to the Dev team multiple times- both when I was a regular AT member and after I was promoted to lead. Both times I was told that our forums simply couldn't handle a process like this. But if it is something that could be made to happen, I would be be entirely grateful. As long as it still leaves room for the pending process to work, and applicants are able to go back and fix mistakes.

On 10/27/2017 at 7:53 PM, Balthasar said:

To clarify, it would be great to see a post or some posts, where a new or old player can read the essential server lore within an hour.

On 10/27/2017 at 9:11 PM, Skylez1 said:

A condensed page/post that contains all of the essential server lore could be quite useful for newcomers and veterans alike. Perhaps have separate links within that could lead to specific wiki pages.

I'll be sure to get going on something like this very soon. Really love this suggestion. Thank you.

On 10/27/2017 at 7:33 PM, _Jandy_ said:

I'd really like to see something change about the amount of time apps sit at the end of the month.

This is definitely an internal issue with our team structure. Initially I made the team roster smaller and quota higher in hopes of having people get more work done more equally, but didn't see any changes. There have also been a lot of team members on hiatus lately with exams and vacations. Nonetheless, I will do my best to amend this issue.

On 10/27/2017 at 7:47 PM, Man of Respect said:

video tutorials don't work

We currently already have quite a few video tutorials, and every single one has proved to be useful to newer players. Even if we're not a running Media Team that creates them frequently, we are still able to produce helpful and fun content.

10 hours ago, Vaynth said:

We currently already have quite a few video tutorials, and every single one has proved to be useful to newer players. Even if we're not a running Media Team that creates them frequently, we are still able to produce helpful and fun content.

to quote myself...

On 27/10/2017 at 9:47 PM, Man of Respect said:

without a dedicated singular person or a working media team that is led by a person that creates media

@Man of Respect
We're not centered around media, but we still can produce it as it's been done in the past. Creating videos tutorials and things of that nature for new players to figure out their way around is something that works perfectly fine for us to do without a steady stream of new content. When you say a dedicated singular person or team, that can easily be a manager and a few members working on it together. As for an actual Media Staff Team or position being created, that's up to administration and completely out of my hands. So not really something to bring up on an AT Your View.

So if you have any good ideas for videos we could potentially make on our own to help out newbies, feel free to pitch them to me.

Applications need to be harder to prevent people pulling in PvP goons from other servers.

I would apply as a new pixel face.. however i am still a salty 'bone'man for getting denied ;) And y'know.. have an LT app sitting. Other than that i'd apply again!

There's been a few times I've actually taught new players how to roleplay correctly. Often they don't understand the difference between ooc and rp, where to go, how to go, they're prone to powergaming just out of pure inexperience. I think the application process should either be  more indepth to ensure new players have a better idea of what they're doing or barebones to gate off low effort trolls and let the community teach them. I think a plugin that rewards Minas to established players who take on new players for a few hours is a good idea. Essentially they'd see theres a new player, type in a command and then that new player has a dedicated person to talk to for responsive questioning. The established player runs them through a few rp scenarious, gauges their knowledge of the more mandatory lore like the monks or their races lore and when the new player feels like they're comfortable enough they end the teacher link and the established player gets minas or some other reward. Cuts down the massive wall that is whitelist apps, reduces strain on AT, gives incentive for players to help new players, helps the new player feel more welcome and less confused (Trying to find your first rp is very hard for shyer players). Seems like it would bring in those players that don't like the imposing whitelist app and would help new players want to stick around. 

I feel like we need to encourage people to apply as the less popular races a bit more, so we could breathe new life into some of the races