[Racial Lore] Orcish Horns

senor_tortuga

Orcish Horns

s7NWJVGLvONaABy7y5kdRn9NcoaIJdL3SHnhdFndgjad8DsMLUxRUhu_EON5Up6LSkGHw6o0jBIauHos7_FV3z9DoRSHX9R2ipLXfhkkxV7lvnmURvB4AcYMwmaqiyaGsSB7DhEb

Kharak’Raguk, an infamous REX in his prime.

Since the first Orcs, born of Krug there have been those who bare horns. It is said that the wisest Orcs and those who have performed grand feats endowed upon them by their ancestors, earn these bone-made trophies.

Requirements

xlIVxJc-f8NAb_1eDrs4j5mJ3ugpFBfNVnuZDFnE47UYz51ey4nDwjJXpnaHY1RThNYImt9EuWOy0suyhhZBVE8CdGsUDWCRY7-MnKZE9MG1kg6nb_ifRmCZx18xsV3XjN7ejz_A

Schreck’Lak, great wargoth of the Lak clan.

For an Orc to receive the boon of their Ancestors, horns, they must be outstanding, truly a prodigy of the Uzg. This ancestral blessing is not limited by being just a prodigy through physical strength, as all great Orcs have the potential to grow these bone trophies, from scholars of Yar to hunters of Lur. Though, not all great Orcs grow horns, for an Orc must first earn the respect and acknowledgment of not only their fellow orcs, but their greatest Ancestor. The way to go about this is to find a Lutauman, who in turn may bring the Orc in question to speak with their Ancestor in the ancestral realm. During this meeting is where the task will be chosen and distributed, though these are no easy tasks and take years to decades to complete.

Spiritual Trials

These trials, given by Greater Ancestral Spirits to their Descendants, are no easy paths. Especially for something so aesthetic as horns, it takes strength and will to complete these gruesome and grandiose tasks. As the Spirit must 'grade' per-say the Orc, they are trials which test the Orc's strongest points, and build upon their weakest. Though there is no official time frame for these tasks among the spirits, the average is around five years to a decade, this is due to the near impossible magnitude of these tasks. Take Lur for example, a task he might give to a Descendant of his who is a hunting prodigy would be to "go out and kill one of every animal in the land which you live". Now, it is obvious the true magnitude of these quests. Though each task after the first task seem to get lighter, and almost become those to build the wisdom and strength of an individual instead of proving their worth.

Anatomy of the Horns

pwEEX9Rc1ADVdJkjcj8ynyZL7ENKRzFZkmPE8LK12kXap_qBgtaVhRpmcrEr04qRs3gZRRpCOXdrq68RS6IRpXrMPbiPjg72mBq1kCc1JmUa_eoDdxLRgniEovjT_TLRwYBS6lKS

An example of an ancient uruk of clan Yar that holds a great reputation with the spirits. Having achieved much in his life - he was gifted his horns.

These horns come in many shapes and sizes, from the long spiraling horns of the Ram Clan, to the smallbone nubs of a young prodigy.The feats which may earn an Orc their horns are to be tribute to Krug and their Ancestors, a sign that they strive to be as great as them or even greater. These horns do not grow naturally, but instead they grow with each approved feat completed by the Orc. These horns are not limited to the growth of only two, for in some instances Orcs such as those from the Dom Clan have been seen growing numerous horns which resemble a crown. The horns are no stronger than the Orc’s own bones, and carry no special properties besides those that naturally come with having horns, and some social status.

Lutauman’s Calling

CPbVRLKGxuh36VTxzE_Bff6prqZMf1k_Te8vlYRk965szvwfplzQ4AvxyO8yjOpakqaRBU_0BcFoaD1TDsN6zll_pTg5KoC8s7qS8sd4jSqYw1F4D_Cik5-U6JbtO3fOXHXfhN1p

Falum’Lur the Lutauman.

The ritual in question is the shamanistic feat of allowing an Orc to speak with their greater Ancestor in their realm. While talking with their forefather, they will be granted a task, one to prove their dedication and strength. Once the Orc finishes his/her task, they shall call upon the help of the Lutauman to bring them to speak with their Greater Ancestor once again. If their Ancestor deems them worthy, small buds of bone will sprout from their head, only growing longer if the Orc completes more of these deeds.

OOC portion of the magical aspect

The orc in question must OOCly provide the Lutauman MT with screenshots/other evidence that they have gained the favor of their respective Ancestor (One of the greater Ancestral Spirits). Some feats to look out for are those filled with honor, and strength of mind or body. The Greater Ancestral may be roleplayed by the Lutauman, dedicated ET staff, dedicated MT and LT staff.

Redlines

• To grow horns you must go through the spiritual trials first (the first of which should take 5-10 MC years, then the later trials should degrade in time and change from a trial to prove worth, but a trial to build upon ones strength and wisdom).
  • Even after completing a trail the Greater Ancestral may still turn the Orc away if displeased.
  • These horns have no special properties besides those naturally gained through the growth of horns (and social perks).
  • Horns do not grow naturally. Instead with every grand feat the orc achieves in their lives, they may seek out their respective Ancestor.
  • Every time their Greater Ancestor approves of an honorable or grandiose feat, their horns shall grow; further inflating the social status that comes along with them.
  • All who have relations to a Greater Ancestral Spirit have the doors open for them to grow horns (so think of half-orcs and such).

OOC

The idea of this lore is to make orcish horns a visualisation of an orcs devotion to and approval of his ancestors. A social status depicted by two(or more) horns. The larger they are: the more they are favored, the higher their social status will become.

Credits

Shamanistic- Clarifications and the Lutauman part, such a swell guy.

HedgehogHugger- Helped me get my s---t together.

Edited by senor_tortuga

You convinced me that this **** is necessary. +1

Edited by Novastral

I like it, it's better structured than people just having horns 'cause ****, why not'. It gives people mission to work towards and creates activity. It is deeply rooted in orc lore. It gets a big +1 from me.

Spoiler

Also, here are a few things I found that may help make the rp more interesting:

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/blogs/antlers-or-horns-whats-the-difference

c0e9158c0dc60c74417cf9b3e147fff9--horns-writing.jpg

horns_by_demireius-d5jvo9j.png

equus_ballator_horn_stripe_types_by_fargonon-d6fcask.png

220px-Anatomy_and_physiology_of_animals_A_horn.jpg

From what I remember back in Asulon it was just Brevias who had horns as dpm said. Though back then your orc increased in size somehow based on its rank due to some vague gene and had something to do with warhammer. Found out later that same reasoning could be applied to how orcs could have horns. Also was explained to why orcs could have more than two tusks. I think this is kinda cool though, what about Travista?

1 hour ago, DrakeHaze. said:

From what I remember back in Asulon it was just Brevias who had horns as dpm said. Though back then your orc increased in size somehow based on its rank due to some vague gene and had something to do with warhammer. Found out later that same reasoning could be applied to how orcs could have horns. Also was explained to why orcs could have more than two tusks. I think this is kinda cool though, what about Travista?

abcabcabcabcabcabc

Well, orcs do not work that way anymore. As for Travista, I already spoke with him and all orcs who already have horns keep them, as it was rpd that when an orc does a grand task, or rises to a position of immense power then they grew horns. This is just to add some flavor and expand rp possibilities.

1 hour ago, _Jandy_ said:

What about half-orcs, quarter-orcs, etc... Or is it just full blooded orcs?

abcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabc

If you have relations to any greater ancestral spirit then the doors are open (all orcs are related to the orcish ancestral spirits in one way or another).

2 minutes ago, senor_tortuga said:

If you have relations to any greater ancestral spirit then the doors are open (all orcs are related to the orcish ancestral spirits in one way or another).

Even the elf who claims to be 1/18th Braduk?

Not everything in Orc culture should have to do with Spirits. But for now, I can't think of an alternative so +1.

Sure, why not?

As it was mentioned earlier, it's something more tangible for people to work towards. However, can you explain what kind of system you would be using to determine the worth of ones actions, and when they would be deemed worthy enough to be blessed with horns?

Who will play the Greaters? ET? Shamans? Those who played the characters?

2 hours ago, Smaw said:

-snip-

My opinion on this lore aligns with Smaw, especially regarding the statement of "sure why not" as there is no need for it, yet it brings more depth to an orcish attribute that used to be a random thing put on characters for floof.

As for a system, I don't mind sitting down with Tortuga and some lore team members to determine what would and what wouldn't count to ones reputation in the eye of an ancestor. 

Also Smaw, to answer that question: It's the greater ancestors at play, so usually the ancestor contacted depends on the clan the orc is in. (Yar -> Yar, Braduk -> Braduk etcetera.) As these greater ancestrals are generally not played (save for Kharak and Phaedrus) they will be represented by other shamans, dedicated ET and or MT members. (LT as well)

+1 , I agree with Rins comment that not everything should be connected to the spirits, but this brings a nice bit of character progression with magical roots! I certinately do not object to such.

11 hours ago, senor_tortuga said:

Greater Ancestral Spirit

So all the Raguks

Yea, put this up and just completely ignore the Lore that says all Rams naturally grow horns? I hope you do know that.

Also.

If your orc does a great feat, even without that, say, becoming Rex, gives them horns. Kulgarok practiced Dark Shamanism, was the big papa of this generation of Dshamans and he has horns. Why? He was rex for some time.

You can already do that without sucking a spirit's balls.

I find this unecessary and it's personally a -1

1 hour ago, Brazilianski said:

Yea, put this up and just completely ignore the Lore that says all Rams naturally grow horns? I hope you do know that

Clan Ram barely came around this map to pursue as Civil War with the Orcs. They naturally grew horns from what seemed like nowhere when there used to be an actual reason why Orcs grew horns instead of just to have them.

10 hours ago, Smaw said:

However, can you explain what kind of system you would be using to determine the worth of ones actions, and when they would be deemed worthy enough to be blessed with horns?

Practically, the Shamans would be the ones playing these characters and since horns aren't exactly moderated we don't need any staff to handle this for us. I would imagine to obtain horns it would practically be a Shaman giving Ancestral guidance on what their Ancestors have accomplished and what kind of task that specific Orc should embark on.