[Druidic Subtype] Wardens of Cernunnos

Will (TauFirewarrior)

Wardens of Cernunnos

(Druidic Subtype)

VnUfZ0Yqnf3DTDn7CRVgSnc3NMv5RSrERCWHm60jlE8dF72t6PVq0xqGquZV7jWNMug_CKLcqKcPZ9n_9py-SgTMKYg7dzB6gpURbjlx4XtoMu1CoxF8SkKpsvNlPmfq0-V3ltSn

(Credit to Art: Games Workshop, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, Unknown artist but props to them)

Introduction

The Wardens of Cernunnos are a forgotten but ancient sect of Druidism that has long since vanished from the world for some centuries, perhaps even millennia. Those who choose this path must dedicate themselves to Cernunnos, to the hunt and the chaos of which he embodies within nature. Once embraced they have embraced Cernunnos and become his agent in this world, cut off from Druidic healing abilities, cut off from the potential of shapeshifting and cut off from becoming a Soul Tree. Once embraced the Druid is transformed, changed in body and mind becoming an agent of the hunt. However while being made to be powerful it is not without its costs.

3Z8w00Hz1sVfJ5y30_fqAlUuva5KjvQ5i2feMve6GByClTcGM81E-AGNLGw4zFsprdYkfadw-pPScsAYHd5gY_gk3lOcmhGw7q-8KSr_I5bCt9wf4TJtDlcyHxFYedsOf08qjSaM

(Credit to Art: Games Workshop, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, the Artist Alexander Gorbunov)

For as part of a Magic that requires the balance between all aspects, beauty and growth, chaos and the hunt, death and rebirth. To give oneself over to one Deity cuts oneself from other abilities, even if you recieve great boons from the Huntsman, you lose the potential for boons from the other two Aspects. This includes any Druidic abilities around healing, becoming a Soul Tree and acquiring the knowledge and applying it to become a Shapeshifter.

Description

The Wardens themselves are distinct and can further choose to distinguish themselves from their Druidic Brothers and Sisters, while by no means holding them in lower regard they see their Brothers and Sisters on different paths of Druidism as those whom they must protect and cherish, and will willingly sacrifice themselves for any other servant of the Aspects. Choosing to become not merely the Hunter but the Hunt itself, they will use all manners of ability to safeguard Druids, nature and those who revere the Aspects.

Once a Warden is imbued with the power of Cernunnos they feel themselves closer to Nature itself, many of them would likely choose to do such, with little regard to wear armour or other such protection. Choosing to be wild and bare chested, many times wearing nothing but a helmet ornamented in such a way to honour Cernunnos and distinguish themselves from their fellow Druids and all others who revere the aspects. They have a compulsion to be lightly armoured or not armoured at all due to holding disdain towards such that would hinder their moments and feeling the natural elements the Aspects provide for them.

When they have chosen to fully activate their powers, their skin will begin to hue into a shade of green that represents nature, like when a regular Druid communes their eyes glow though coupled with this their hair will change colour while doing so too. Though this is only when they choose to have their powers activated and all fades back to the realms of normality and they return to their former visage.

In regards to understand their mindset, they might appear antisocial and savage to those who do not understand the Aspects, Druidism or nature itself. They prefer to avoid contact with those who are known not to revere the aspects. They will appear to have very little they will want to do outside their service to the Aspects, seeking no wealth, no riches or worldly power. Though they may keep familial relations, the desire for such will be down to the individual personality of the Druid who takes up becoming a Warden.

Above all the desire for a Warden is to uphold the Balance and protect nature wherever they see fit to make their territory, they will seek out all those who would seek to destroy or corrupt nature. With a disdain for Necromancers, Mages and any else who would seek to corrupt that which the Aspects maintain and represent with otherworldly forces. Often attacking those who they seek doing such on sight with no regard for diplomacy or tact.

Death and Rebirth  

If a Warden should fall in battle against a foe, their body destroyed their Soul is taken by Cernunnos but not taken to the Afterlife, instead it is returned to the World. Though this is a lengthy period of time, like the cycle of nature, if a Warden should fall they remain dormant until the following spring, where they are reborn underneath a tree at random, such is the chaos of their being, such is the randomness and chaos of their rebirth. One can only permanently be taken from this world if they abandon being a Warden and are discharged by Cernunnos.

Learning the Art

To learn the art when there is not one to teach is a difficulty one whom is dedicated to the hunt must overcome, it takes being a Druid to begin with of course but from there they must embrace the chaotic side of nature. This involves intense meditation, getting in contact with their primal side through communion with the energy around them and accepting that nature itself is a force of chaos, accepting their servitude to the Horned Man while reversing the Green Lady, recognising that a force of chaotik nature is required to protect all aspects from nature from the forces that seek to control, undo and corrupt it. Thus, Cernunnos accepts and bestows upon the Druid who accepts him, his powers and patronage so that they might protect nature through becoming an agent of his nature based chaos and a Warden of the Wild Hunt. Though all is not without its cost, once accepted this blessing, one cuts themselves off from Nature's Healing, Soul Trees and becoming a Shapeshifter.

Role in the Druidic Triad

The Role of the Wardens of Cernunnos within the Triad of Aspects is their acceptance and embracement of the chaotic forces that reside within nature and that are represented by their patron. They are the wildness manifest with the Druids, becoming part of Cernunnos Wild Hunt and the chaos that ensues. Mostly cutting themselves off from society that would be considered civilized and protecting the woods from the forces that seek to pluck the bounty of the woods and steal, from those who would seek to destroy the forests for their own gain, or worst yet the ones who would seek to corrupt the woods and twist nature into a sickly form for them to spread their will.

Powers and Abilities

Once a Druid has accepted these powers onto them, it changes them but also empowers them to a higher degree than before. Some of the boons from Cernunnos merely buff and further empower the base abilities of becoming a Communed Druid, others are entirely unique to becoming a Warden. The powers and abilities they receive are as follows

Enhanced Communion and Control: Accepting this blessing and becoming a Warden enhances their ability to commune with the nature around them, more passively communing with the plants and animals around them to the point no natural animal will ever seek to attack them. Giving them the ability to control the nature around them more quickly to the point of near complete readiness. Allowing them to activate this ability near instantaneously.

Agent of the Wild Hunt: An ability and power to near passively control the animals around them, to become a potent weapon to strike against those who would threaten the nature of the world or those who revere it so. Any natural creature can be commanded to strike, in great herds or packs, even smaller or individual animals can be commanded to do such and they will do so with little regard to themselves.

Druidic Companionship: A Warden can choose to take an animal companion who will in turn be imbued with their power, forming a bond of friendship that cannot be broken by any other, be them Druid or otherwise. This animal could be something as simple as a fowl that can survey the surroundings, a creature such as a Stag that which can be mounted or a Wolf or Wild Canine that can simply be a travelling companion aiding them in combat and providing friendship. However should their companion die, a great wave of sorrow or rage depending on circumstance will fall upon the Warden furthering their descent into Chaos. They are able to befriend a new animal companion should one fall, though it may be too distressing to do so again.

Corruptive Resistance: Wardens are resistant to all forms of corruptive forces in the world, be them based in Necrotic or Diseases that are brought about through otherworldly means. Allowing them to be capable opponents against these forces. They are charged by Cernunnos with removing any whom would be in service to these powers or practise them in forms of Magic.

Weaknesses

There are several weaknesses that either are attributed to becoming a Warden of Cernunnos that are somewhat detrimental by themselves, though with the power that comes with becoming a Warden can overcome them with determination and resilience of both body and soul.

Winter, Frost and Snow: Wardens are somewhat weaker during the season of Winter, it weakens them to be in the cold and as nature around them withers before rebirth in the spring. This weakness also extends itself to magic or abilities that are grounded in ice, frost or snow, thus making creatures such as Frost Witch's a threat of significance to them or Water Evocation Void Mages.

Sharp and Penetrative Weapons: The Wardens have no particular strength against Sharp Weapons such as Swords, Axes and Spears, they must resolve to use their own skill in combat to avoid being hit with such weapons.

Fire and Burning: Such is the weakness being around the Winter, such is the weakness to attacks from fire, the Warden will attempt to avoid all attacks from fire, as they are as susceptible to these attacks if not more so than anyone else due to their nature like being and their general lack of protective garb.

Author: TauFirewarrior

(( Edit, I have credited the Art to the Company, Franchise and Artist that created, inspired or commission the works. I don't know why I have to state it but I do not claim to own this art, to have created it or inspired it in anyway. It is as stated a point in reference to try and articulate my lore in a visual sense as I have no art of my own as present. Though if you insist on it, providing it is accepted I can have my own Art commissioned if it will satiate certain members of the community ))

don't accept **** will knows NOTHING 

Seems like solid lore, however with druidic enchantments that boost power or reduce emote time would make this sect of druidism a tad much. I'll recommend clarification on these type of enchantments on wardens.

Just now, imthebaddestb said:

wheres the wardens of cerridwen

Cerridwen is viewed upon as more of a healer, mother type. Thus a more combat orienated wild hunt kinda deal with be handled by Cernunnos in the Triad.

Just now, Amorphbutt said:

Theres something called soul trees. -1

I was consulted on the fact it is quite similar in regards to power, however I feel soul trees are more controlled, less chaotic in nature and I feel there should be a subtype for those whoms character more aligns with the chaotic side of Druidism that aligns with Cernunnos. Abilities aligning along with their more specific reverence to one of the three aspects.

Soul trees?

Debunking the powers:

37 minutes ago, Will (TauFirewarrior) said:

Enhanced Communion and Control:

The older the druid, the more enhanced this ability already is. This is something that progresses with the time one is a druid - and is already at its most powerful for most older druii to the extend where, if made even 'more enhanced' it'd be just outright powergaming.

38 minutes ago, Will (TauFirewarrior) said:

Agent of the Wild Hunt:

Communion, from Communion an Control, but powergamed. In technicality this can already be performed by a druid surrounded by many animals. Because if you shout "HELP" to a field of animals that might help you, some are bound to come.

Druidic Companionship:

Druids can already have common companions. No need to magically imbue them if you already established a deep emotional and psychological relationship with an animal over many years.

Corruptive Resistance:

Druids. Aren't. Holy.

They're about nature. Nature is by default filled with lifeforce, such can be used by the darker magics and influenced by such.

Just now, HedgeHug said:

Soul trees?

Debunking the powers:

The older the druid, the more enhanced this ability already is. This is something that progresses with the time one is a druid - and is already at its most powerful for most older druii to the extend where, if made even 'more enhanced' it'd be just outright powergaming.

Communion, from Communion an Control, but powergamed. In technicality this can already be performed by a druid surrounded by many animals. Because if you shout "HELP" to a field of animals that might help you, some are bound to come.

Druids can already have common companions. No need to magically imbue them if you already established a deep emotional and psychological relationship with an animal over many years.

Druids. Aren't. Holy.

They're about nature. Nature is by default filled with lifeforce, such can be used by the darker magics and influenced by such.

Debunking the Debunking? 

Right to begin with

The Concept in general is to allow those who wish for a different playstyle within the druids. Having them embrace the chaotic side of nature by aligning themselves with one particular of the deities, that being Cernunnos. Giving the Druid in question more boons as it is direct deity power being imbued more. Soul Trees to me at the very least seem very mundane and allow people to get immortality then have their slice of life roleplay and in my opinion cannot fit a certain playstyle based around Druidic magic and the deities that empower them.

As for being an Agent of the Wild Hunt, obviously there will be guidelines put into place, you aren't just going to be able to 'Summon' a bunch of animals in a moment. I am very particular in having things RP'd correctly and in such a way it is not powergamed.

As a Druid, I am aware Druids commune with animals. This is more of a sacred bond a Druid of this subtype has, where both of them are entwined with one another on y'know several levels, understanding each other and all that fine jazz. Itself offers more roleplay opportunities for those who would decide to take up on this path.

Druids aren't holy, but in this subtype they are directly imbued with deity power thus being semi-holy. I will note this is a resistance, not an immunity, eventually they would be overcome by the corruption. 

I would have appreciated more constructive critique rather than the "Its Soul Trees" and passive aggressive debunking.

1 minute ago, DPM said:

Yes, in regards to aesthetic and come conceptual ideas, I was inspired by the Wild Riders of Warhammer FB. However in regards to power, role and how they would operate in LOTC they are different. Thank you for pointing it out however.

Just now, nordicg_d said:

carbon copy of wh lol

No, I'm not sure if you'd read the Wild Rider Lore for Warhammer FB, they're warrior cavalry of Orion the King of the Woods. Wardens while I chose to aesthetically use Wild Riders as reference, have different powers and multiple roles within LOTC Druidism.  These are full Druids, not simply great warriors imbued with minor amounts of Godly power to serve the Avatar of said God.

2 minutes ago, Freischarler said:

yeah i played this video game before, pretty strong unit. do these guys have vanguard deployment in lotc as well?

Again. I must insist, these are not Wild Riders. I used images from Warhammer FB as point of reference as many people use artwork from different fantasy franchises to envision their lore without having to commission their own artwork for lore that may or may not be accepted.