[✗] [Racial Lore] A Categorization of Human Cultures and Ethnicities

Mullraugh

This is a proposal submission to remove the three human races that are Heartlander, Highlander and Farfolk. Though they work adequately, I feel that more of an emphasis on your character's culture and ethnicity should be placed on a player so that they can have a more well-rounded and realistic character to work with. 

If this lore submission is not accepted, let it still stand as an accurate categorization for future reference.

After some consideration I feel that you can place the human cultures and ethnicities into three main categories. I've taken to calling these "Suthroners, Northerners and Farfolk," since Farfolk still works quite well as a name.

The "???" represents an IRL culture that either has no LotC equivalent or I just don't know the name of it. Please input your knowledge if applicable!

Suthroners: (Western European Cultures)

??? - English, Welsh, Irish

Auvergnian - French, Swiss, I daresay Flemish

Daelish - Celts, Scots

Waldenian - German, Austrian, Swiss, Bavarian, etc

Almannir - Rhineland
Haense (Teutons) - Prussian

Cordobonese - Spanish, Portugese

Illatian - Italian

Northerners: (Eastern European Cultures)

Raevir/Ruskan - Russian, Ukrainian, Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Belorussian, 
Pasnian - Polish
Carnatian - Slovakian, Czechnian?

??? - Norse

Lodenlander - Dutch

??? - Swedish, Finnish

Suthron-Farfolk (Mediterranean)

Akritian - Greek

Hulphonite - Israeli (loosely)

Farfolk (Middle-Eastern, African and Asian Cultures)

Qalasheen - Arabian

Easterner - Asian

Turkins - Turkish Ottoman

??? - Indian

??? - African

Azghari/Subudai - Mongols, Huns

18 minutes ago, Mullraugh said:

This is a proposal submission to remove the three human races that are Heartlander, Highlander and Farfolk.

I can recall a plugin suggestion not long ago that would work with this.

Remove the subtypes of human race - race is set to be just "human" for all of them

They will then have a 'culture' slot on the character profile card which can specify their subculture.

21 minutes ago, Mullraugh said:

Daelish - Scots

I'd say they're more generally like Celts

??? - Norse

There has been a few, Norland started kind of Norse I believe, then there were the infamous Faolains who are the ancestors of House Vallberg who were basically christian Swedes.

??? - Spanish, Portugese

Luciensport/holy land in Vailor was Mediterranean based. 

??? - Italian

House Visconti/Nicator, can't remember what the culture was called tho, created by Gaiusmarius.

??? - Turkish Ottoman

There was a Turkish group in Lorraine as well, lead by Semihilyus but I don't remember the name of the culture.

And Addition: Azghari and Subudai - Mongols, Huns.

Just to fill up your list =)

hulphonite - loose israeli 

Just now, HedgeHug said:

Remove the subtypes of human race - race is set to be just "human" for all of them

They will then have a 'culture' slot on the character profile card which can specify their subculture.

I agree.

1 minute ago, Patu/SaintPaint said:

I'd say they're more generally like Celts

There has been a few, Norland started kind of Norse I believe, then there were the infamous Faolains who are the ancestors of House Vallberg who were basically christian Swedes.

Luciensport/holy land in Vailor was Mediterranean based. 

House Visconti/Nicator, can't remember what the culture was called tho, created by Gaiusmarius.

There was a Turkish group in Lorraine as well, lead by Semihilyus but I don't remember the name of the culture.

And Addition: Azghari and Subudai - Mongols, Huns.

Just to fill up your list =)

1 minute ago, Grubgoth Wud said:

hulphonite - loose israeli 

Thank you for the information. I'll update the list shortly.

Heartlander, Highlander, and Farfolk work just fine and are already integrated into rp and lore. These classification serve to group together various cultures and ethnicities that bear either similar or related lore, and also cut back the need for every culture to receive its own character card race. Character cards shouldn't be used for anything more than what can be figured out from a glance at a character, and culture should especially be emphasized via roleplay as it is not always immediately apparent.

Heartlander - Western and Southern European

Highlander - Northern and Eastern European

Farfolk - Non-European

6 minutes ago, Fishy said:

Heartlander, Highlander, and Farfolk work just fine and are already integrated into rp and lore. These classification serve to group together various cultures and ethnicities that bear either similar or related lore, and also cut back the need for every culture to receive its own character card race. Character cards shouldn't be used for anything more than what can be figured out from a glance at a character, and culture should especially be emphasized via roleplay as it is not always immediately apparent.

Heartlander - Western and Southern European

Highlander - Northern and Eastern European

Farfolk - Non-European

Though I agree to an extent, I believe that Culture should be a part of a player's character card, because there are things that simply cannot be roleplayed all that well - either due to inexperience on the person's behalf, or just general difficulty. 

Things like accents, etiquette, verbal patterns, and such are difficult to effectively roleplay unless you spend minutes writing a large block of text for each action your character takes. While this is encouraged, most people don't put in the effort, or simply mess things up. 

Adding a culture to your character card would simply help others get to know your character a little better and fill in the gap that's left due to lack of effort or poor RP. 

Italian is Illatian
Turkish are the Turkins
Greek is Akritian
Spanish is Cordobonese I believe

1 minute ago, FitzRoy__ said:

Italian is Illatian
Turkish are the Turkins
Greek is Akritian
Spanish is Cordobonese I believe

abcabcabcabc

Thanks, I'll add those.

Also, Lodenlanders are dutch, don't let the batavians fool you they're fake news.

1 hour ago, HedgeHug said:

Nice try *HedgeHug*, but no true Orenian will ever accept the subraces being reclassified as cultures. There's a place for every race.

EDIT: Wtf they censored echo brackets.

Edited by James2k

2 hours ago, Mullraugh said:

Farfolk (Middle-Eastern, African and Asian Cultures)

Harian - Arabian?

Harian is the nationality which includes everyone that lives in Haria that is not farfolk. The culture and ethnic group of focus though is "Qalasheen".

Asians are generally called "Easterners".

What about the Almannir (ie, Stafyrs, Hanethors if they are still around, are Almannir)? In perspective, the Almannir (that speak straight up German) are closely related to Hansetian per say, Rhinelandic comparably.

22 minutes ago, Bad Guy Shady said:

Harian is the nationality which includes everyone that lives in Haria that is not farfolk. The culture and ethnic group of focus though is "Qalasheen".

Asians are generally called "Easterners".

abcabcabc

Thanks for that.

Mounsidians - Haiti Creole

(for farfolk)