[✓] [Daemon] Ydea

shimmeringbliss

Ydae; The Daemon of Memory

“If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered.”

-Edgar Allen Poe

rOMvu8Bo09Mv1X12O2DlzfuyS2JyBj5sgzHtzT8LcTLdQRpfNBDIIsua7gM684wOl_DuNP1Q8EdTtHDlCiXAZkqk-4WR_1ctWuMt989723E85hXQYxMw2-34ONHiclzhEkAXjft5

Sigil

BW713caV-1dUK2skWPe6u75yfh9VYocKqQYwQVciPXsCJJUumFAxZXIaIqt1TSwEJi4olmoeG9tqG85-W3C7PFHfD4jnRE93JTXPSnkZ6FzkFiCBihTDvi-T9HHYDkQtUwCay9wI

The Endless Ocean, representing the never-ending formation of in the sea of memories

Standing upon the oceans of memories, alone under the skies of full of stars, the faceless Daemon held both arms out, feeling the weight of conscience and consciousness crash against the flow of time, eroding little by little like the waning of the moon. For the future is built upon the foundations of the past, yet it seems the past is always relegated to distant memory. Such is the fate of the Daemon of Memories, Ydea. Ydea is portrayed as a faceless Daemon, with short silver hair that blends seamlessly against her marble white skin. Upon her ethereal body she dons a void black dress, adorned with nine gold bangles, encircled around her waist, wrists, ankles, and crown. She appears to mortals with a constantly shifting face that takes the form of the people in their strongest memories.

It is said that she was born from the second that the sun rose the second time over the earth, invoking the first creation of memories upon the natural world, as they recall what the very first sunrise was. Although Ydea does not control the flow of time, memories are nothing more than impressions and thoughts imprinted upon a blank canvas at any given time, distorting and warping as the seasons pass. When the four brothers were first set foot upon the mortal plane, Ydea presented to each a gift for recording their precious memories with their descendants, and more importantly each other. To Horen, she gifted him a quill of the Phoenix, so that his letters may glow when inscribed upon paper; To Krug, she gifted him a bone knife made from a millennium old Drûth Skhelll to carve totems with, so that his stories would come to life when reminisced by the fire; To Urguan, she gifted him a chisel made of Draelond, so that he may carve statues and runes; To Malin, she gifted him a Ironwood branch from the World Tree, so that he may write to the plants and trees. Some would call her generous for the gift of history, but others would curse her for keeping a reminder for all things to come, leading to wars that spanned over generations, to grudges that lasted several lifetimes. As the human poet Owen Irving puts it:

“Your memory is a monster; you forget—it doesn't. It simply files things away. It keeps things for you, or hides things from you—and summons them to your recall with will of its own. You think you have a memory; but it has you!”

Her symbols are pools of water, tranquil forests, patient skies, books and diaries; all that represent infinity as any natural being gets lost within their own memory if they stare long enough at it.

Terrae

4feQhicljRDWbqQ78PK62ZNkT0EEc4h1NKtcfMRrenYH9YcnTCEwreEtdO4J6xKzzc5nGbwNzfiPv4sD-PLNWT8zu9J1xRzDzdyuLzq0sQj3UIM7ncLi0ypKfHGmsKly2aoC3mjX

Her realm is the Terrae, containing both the Ocean of Memories and the star-filled Orion Skies. Every time a memory is made, a star from Orion’s belt crashes into the Ocean of Memories, mixing and muddling together in the vast memories of the world; the impact of the memory determining the falling star. To dive into the Ocean unguided is to be induced in madness, as every single memory from the time of Creation blends in with the millions more being produced, resulting in a surreal landscape that is neither here nor there. Good, bad, insignificant, curious, creative, intimate, bitter, excited, happy, sad, guilty memories all bubble below the surface of the ocean, warped by the impression of the being upon the formation of said memory. A cockroach the size of cart in the mind of a frightened little boy, a bouquet of diamonds and amber in the shape of roses in the mind of a shy maiden receiving her first bundle of flowers from a handsome young lad.

WCMTT74ifnAHcmkTSK0eANM_taQsn02kCSag8vGptrEiGYaW0Zw5aeVbFFZ5LHY41f7Q-PRonUFKxNzbRnpfleBdyiU2LFqRVaqRw88WHU1xWDuMgWp2_zoZTGT7IWP9_gjupK2W

Within the maelstrom that is underneath the waves of Memories, there exist a single island, the site of a ruined cathedral, situated upon the horizon. Surrounding it is a garden of poppies and pansies, and in the center of that garden, a lone translucent tree prospers, seeming as though nothing living is allowed to grow within its radius. Coming from the lands of Stratum, Ydea rode upon the waves of crossings to pluck a seed from this maelstrom, nourishing it in a realm where it may grow, where Ydea planted it upon the many memories of mortals. Neither good, nor wicked, this Jovian Oak came to encompass both as it witnessed the memories flashing by. Upon gaining sentience, Ydea gave it a name; Oakheart, as it gazes upon the hearts and minds of all mortals to pass. Fancy itself as a saint, it anchored in the ruined memory of a cathedral, allowing only those worthy to be in its presence.

Should one ever meet Oakheart, it will dispense both good and bad advice, as customary of its cousins in the physical plane. However it largely depends on its mood, to push for a certain advice, choosing to side with either good or bad. It is after all Ydea’s adored companion, and would stop at nothing from causing the skies to be full of falling stars.  

Following

Much like Lyes, Ydea is a divine being that bears a fundamental nature of all natural beings, and as such is not worshipped, for she is simply so.

Present day

Ydea has been known on occasion to intervene when a devout prayer for a vision is wished for, to delve within the annals of time to seek the truth of themselves. Appearing before the being within a reflection of a pool, a silver star would tumble from her palm onto the surface of the water, causing ripples that would slowly mesmerize the being, sucking them into the realm of Terrae, where she would guide their inner conscious. She is not kind however, having no qualms in resurfacing the bad memories that others would wish to forget.

References:

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/143054-%E2%9C%93-decorative-metal-lore-drealond/

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/152931-%E2%9C%93-the-jovian-oaks/#comment-1444834

well written but a bit pointless imo 

I could maybe use it if we let full knowledge of these creatures be well known to people IC.

Interesting, very interesting

On 11/9/2017 at 6:36 PM, _Jandy_ said:

The misspelling of "Idea" as "Ydea" was not clever.

Wrong.

It's a bit awkward to be here since i just posted this spiel on another Aengudaemon:

Aengluls generally don't get accepted unless they are thoroughly fleshed out and fill a unique new profile that isn't yet covered by any of the other deities LotC has. You will have to check the entirety of the current pantheon and make sure you don't step on any toes.  You will also need a creative twist to a generic concept to surprise and delight the people judging the piece.

But as a fellow LT you probably know this. You also know what happened to the last Aengudaemon who was voted on, specifically Argos the Daemon of war, which got denied (albeit narrowly) for being too cookie-cutter as it's "Daemon of War" concept. You also know some LT are of the opinion there's too many Aengudaemons and will be hard to convince to vote anything but N by default.

Now I think the Memory Daemon has got what it takes as I personally believe it to be a very interesting kind of concept. But I've been wrong about these things before. So in the end all I can say is I like this. But I would change the "Gave  WXYZ to each of the 4 brothers" piece as this is a bit of an overly familliar trope already used by Aerial/Iblees in creation lore. Since you'll have to strive for maximum originality, it's best to not have anything that looks derivative. But again, that's not me.

Wish we had something like this in real life. I can't tell you about all of the things I've forgotten.

Thank you for submitting your piece! This is now under review and you can expect a verdict in a week or so.

11/21 Edit: Due to some changes made recently, we are currently extending the vote. A verdict will be posted here in another week or so.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:38 AM, Sporadic said:

It's a bit awkward to be here since i just posted this spiel on another Aengudaemon:

But as a fellow LT you probably know this. You also know what happened to the last Aengudaemon who was voted on, specifically Argos the Daemon of war, which got denied (albeit narrowly) for being too cookie-cutter as it's "Daemon of War" concept. You also know some LT are of the opinion there's too many Aengudaemons and will be hard to convince to vote anything but N by default.

Now I think the Memory Daemon has got what it takes as I personally believe it to be a very interesting kind of concept. But I've been wrong about these things before. So in the end all I can say is I like this. But I would change the "Gave  WXYZ to each of the 4 brothers" piece as this is a bit of an overly familliar trope already used by Aerial/Iblees in creation lore. Since you'll have to strive for maximum originality, it's best to not have anything that looks derivative. But again, that's not me.

abcabcabcabcabcabcabcabc

Allow me to preface this by saying that most of my lore is derivative. I believe in continuously working on existing concepts to reinforce the position of each new piece in how they interact with the world, and is generally consistent with how I vote for lore as well. So while appreciated for constructive criticism, I will not change what I think is the only thing tying it to origin lore.

Also shoutout for Idolmon for letting me use his tree lore.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon.