The forums have been updated to IPS Community Version 4.2.2 - We're still working on improving the theme for everyone to enjoy so please hang tight. We will also hopefully have new features soon to share with you all.

Welcome to The Lord Of The Craft

We're currently the #1 Minecraft Roleplaying Server, fitted with custom plugins, a unique crafting system, custom character cards and an incredibly active and passionate community; We're serious about Roleplay and we're always eager for new faces!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The Redneck

Your View: 6.0 Creature Discussions

34 posts in this topic

6.0 Creature Discussions!

So, Gonna go ahead and keep this short and sweet. I was thinking the other day, every map we've only added to the natural creatures that we "presume" are in every realm and we never move past certain species that would not have traveled with us to the new lands our characters may venture to. My proposal is that we cut down the amount of creatures and begin to rebuild new species and flora for 6.0 (of corse we'll keep certain species and types of creatures but gut old unused creature lore and replace it with region/continent specific ones). I'd just like to know everyone's thoughts on this matter seeing as it will give a new feeling to world lore and allow the ET to use more diverse and less overused creatures for events and such. I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Your Friendly Lore Moderator,

~Sug

I agree, I'll repeat what I always say: Abundance of high fantasy destroys curiosity and makes it normal, and therefore pointless.

Make creatures and high fantasy rare again.

People who play these characters, you need to put aside your own personal wants for this.

i think something that the server can benefit from is a detailed list of different flora and fauna in each region in the new map. Have thing completely new/alien and simpler things. Something i tried doing in athera which was widely accepted by the community but ET didnt approve.

animal species/plant discovery events questionmark?

easy way to weasel in small-scale interesting events that can spontaneous. also real good chara development comes from it. characters claiming "oh i discovered this and this" w/o going through some ooc forum post ya know 

Add in melon trees, that’s my suggestion.

in all honesty though, more clarity on what flora and fauna exist in every map would be grand

27 minutes ago, iMattyz said:

I agree, I'll repeat what I always say: Abundance of high fantasy destroys curiosity and makes it normal, and therefore pointless.

I completely agree with this sentiment. 

You should pool together what you deem the best lore on the server, scrap things that have shown to be meaningless/underused and then spread what you have assigned as top-tier as thinly as possible.  

Of course, this applies only to creatures, plants et cetera. 

36 minutes ago, iMattyz said:

People who play these characters, you need to put aside your own personal wants for this.

I definitely approve of this.

Doing so would also open up the opportunity to add different sub-species for already recorded creatures. That provides a recognizable template to work with, while still allowing for an ET to throw the entire known formula on it's head. 

I've had a list of creatures I want to flesh out and submit anyhow.

(Please keep the skywhales until somebody officially does skywhale racing though).

Edited by ThatGuy_777

22 minutes ago, Joltastic said:

Speaking of creatures, how about taking into account the fact that the continent is largely desolate? The flora and fauna should be wild and uncontrolled. Maybe make that noticeable through the ET, have them organize more and more beast attacks, perhaps turn it into an early-map server-wide eventline where boyos have to drive never-seen-before, vicious monsters back from their settlements?

Also, yeah, get rid of some of the unused, outdated beast lore. The bestiary is already cluttered enough with creatures that no ET is going to play anytime soon.

abcabcabcabc

I agree with Joltastic, but a few of my own words.

Some very specific creatures I would definitely have removed if I were to be an LT/MT;

Eidolai - I play one myself, but these creatures serve literally no purpose other than to be a copycat version of dread knights but made from mysticism. They are a half ass attempt at anything.

OlogI am not saying getting rid of these boys, but their height is underestimated, largely. A Creature Application is recommended.3fd32f0ec09167899d5580fc28fdf1aa.png

Dryads - Remove them, their concept is dumb. Literally cyber versions for soul trees. They have a magical connection to a tree, but have no skin tinge, yet people keep getting that wrong, where they look like bryophites.

Ghosts - Alright so, ghosts are good, however there are two types where there should only be one to be honest. In lore it states; a ghost can become a revenant or poltergeist, but there should only be one, that has the same abilities, so nobody gets confused. Example; ghost becomes specter, specter can haunt, or talk to people. My opinion - just gets rid of useless clutter, and mistakes made by players.

Frost Witch Golem things - Apologies for not knowing the name at the time, but these encapsulated women bound in cursed eyes as golems, what the ****. No. IF you want an ice creature make an ice muyakelg or ice golem and just put cursed ice on that.

EDIT : IVOJUR

I know _SUG meant about flora, but I am still going to say this.

Along with what Joltastic said.

Speaking of creatures, how about taking into account the fact that the continent is largely desolate? The flora and fauna should be wild and uncontrolled. Maybe make that noticeable through the ET, have them organize more and more beast attacks, perhaps turn it into an early-map server-wide eventline where boyos have to drive never-seen-before, vicious monsters back from their settlements?

Also, yeah, get rid of some of the unused, outdated beast lore. The bestiary is already cluttered enough with creatures that no ET is going to play anytime soon.

So does this mean that there will likely be a roll back of Magical Creature Applications in 6.0?

I'm not sure if a lot of you understand exactly, but I do think Sug meant creatures like animals, and not player-character creatures. Just my two cents. I think new animals and plants for new lands could certainly be cool, but it's always good to keep some of the old favourites too.

Overexposure is a bad thing, and it can ruin the effect of seeing a creature or w/e. I'd support a significant cut on them and or making it extremely more difficult to obtain one.