Sea Dwarf Subrace Lore Proposal

6xdestroyer

7 minutes ago, 6xdestroyer said:

While certain aspects are culture-oriented, the Sea Dwarf differs physically from the other dwarven races, as it is lighter in weight, paler in skin tone, and is more adept on the sea, meaning they are less likely to inherit traits that increase the risk of seasickness and scurvy.

If you read carefully the characteristics subsection, you will see that they differ from their kin races in multiple aspects.

Thanks, but please see my responses to previous "its not a subrace its a culture"

Oh, I wasn' referring to the thread, I'm reading it later, was just replying to someone saying Subraces = lifestyle choices.

Seems like clan culture then it's own sub race. I feel clans having their own cultures and removing subraces in general would fit the current dwarf society.

Clans would find their own identity and culture, have dwarves just be dwarves no subraces

+1

epic GL

i like the idea of having sea dwarves and if it help promotes your roleplay then thats even better +1

Traits:

[...]

Salty:

:thinking_face:

Gentle reminder this opinion is held by a known Snelf hater who is going to remove the subrace from the plugin as soon as 501 isn't looking.

So last I remember the Forest Dwarves which have been around since Aegis had, last time I did an activity check, exactly 1 active player. It's basically a dead race. Definitely there is not enough of them to form a settlement, or even a minority in the dwarven settlement. Nobody also bothered to really flesh them out. They are just there.

Doomforged were slowly created through lore and finally someone asked me to have them added on the subrace list. I obliged. I never polled their activity so I don't know how it panned out. It'd be nice to see where that went.

Now Sea Dwarves, at least, have you, and you are going to work hard to make this a reality as Tundrak once upon a time worked hard to put Snow Elves on the map. And you have a backstory to explain the ethnic differences between Sea and Mountain dwarves. Good stuff. I commend you for this. Still, I've never once in my life been able to get a subrace removed from the list. Which leaves the question: if you flunk, and give up on getting an active community for the Sea Dwarves, what are we as a server going to be stuck with? Another Forest Dwarf remake? More bloat to the subrace list, distracting and discouraging new players trying to learn about the server and what they want to play?

This is why most people ask you to start as a culture. They want to see you are serious, and this idea has potential.

My standards for subrace status are pretty high. But other people may disagree. I am certain you will convince more and more of them as you build a repute for yourself ingame. This is what the snow elves did, although their repute was of a "let's genocide them again and again" nature, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Cultures are not sub-races. One of my biggest mistakes was allowing player cultures to influence the in-game race selection.

55 minutes ago, Sporadic said:

Which leaves the question: if you flunk, and give up on getting an active community for the Sea Dwarves, what are we as a server going to be stuck with? Another Forest Dwarf remake? More bloat to the subrace list, distracting and discouraging new players trying to learn about the server and what they want to play?

This is why most people ask you to start as a culture. They want to see you are serious, and this idea has potential.

If you do /realname Stormbreaker you will see the current starting players.

47 minutes ago, Kowaman said:

Cultures are not sub-races. One of my biggest mistakes was allowing player cultures to influence the in-game race selection.

Please re-read the lore and the other comments posted, as I've stated multiple times, while culture plays a large part in the subrace, they have different physical attributes which they all share.

11 minutes ago, 6xdestroyer said:

Please re-read the lore and the other comments posted, as I've stated multiple times, while culture plays a large part in the subrace, they have different physical attributes which they all share.

I've read it - and if the LT allows every sub-race to be defined based off minor physical differences than we would have 100s of sub-races. Sub-races need to be very well defined, distinct differences. The LT should be focusing on condensing the current amount of sub-races based on larger variations, not expanding them based on small variants.

Thank you for submitting your piece! This is now under review and you can expect a verdict in two weeks or so. Votes have slowed due to holidays, 6.0 release, and finals/Winter Break and they will resume back to their normal pace of 1 week once things have settled down, I apologize for the inconvenience.

This lore is pending, the LT have cast their vote and as with all racial/subrace proposals, an administrative vote comes after. Once that vote has ended, I will post the final verdict here.

Edit: This lore has failed to pass both the LT and admin vote. The LT is in agreement that this is much better as a culture and that the traits listed here aren't enough to make it its own subrace.