[✗] [WIP]The Resonant Dead

dard

The Resonant Dead

9OiRjYgKyTOjYSRVnOyfzQCsAKBs6xutMqVdXJrf9N-AQoFjO1qKpBrgdhxMhAan54U33GS56zS2RmMeS6MHF4z6KlzoG76UhSwWY_aSX-tzBf2kNRqfEWxEVUay9ZcXyjlUodRQ

[[I apologize to those of you who got offended when I tried to revitalize Watyll's lore.  This is everything that was my idea now just made into some roleplay guidelines with explainations.  Is it necessary or essential?  No. Would I like it implemented? Yes, tired of undead being just the dead version of whatever race they were before.  I'm not doing anymore full-on rewrites, this is the fourth and final total rewrite. I’ll accept feedback, additions and minor changes where need be.]]

The Resonance of Undeath

All undead possess full comprehension and fluency of their native tongue upon their rebirth, but it does not reproduce from the same sounds as that of mortal beings.  This is because undead creatures speak differently than mortals, as they do not possess the same mechanics for speech.  Lich-types, apparitions, eidolai, dread knights, daeva, wraiths, morghuul and other undead communicate through a resonant form of sound differing from that of mortal language.

While the nature of where the sound comes from differs from creature to creature, it is explained by one logical answer: magic.  Undead perform a sort of magical resonance.  The scope of the sounds different undead are different than that of normal vocal-cords.  For some undead creatures, it may be a form of telepathy where the voice is transmitted to the minds of those nearby.  For others, it could be a form of clicking or whispers, the forces that bind them bending the air around them to create sounds not unlike woodwind instruments.

Regardless of the nature of their new voice, one will never make a flute sound like a trumpet even if they are a master trumpeter.  Therefore, in undeath, a creature would sound much more differently than they were perceived in life.

Creatures of undeath can find their grasp of language skewed.  Those with the worse cases can feel as if they are learning to speak again, and may only possess the ability to utter fragments of their past vernacular with their resonance.  As the undead are those who have a less than traditional diet, they may find themselves speaking more primal and rudimentary phrases when they hunger for the life essence that sustains them.

Undead who have taken the draught of incite, or who are husked, may once more speak their native tongue with ease.  Those who are draughted may not perform their resonance.  Undead who are husked possess the advantage of being able to express resonance and the actual vocals of their husked body, making things extra spooky.

Normal beings who hear resonance often describe it as an incoherent clicking, hissing, or whispering.  While they can understand the words, the nature of resonance can sometimes cause frisson and chills for those with unaltered souls.

Usage

This allows players to have more flavor when emoting with their undead characters.  While it does not give special powers such as full on telepathy, it offers some insight on how a creature without vocal-cords can talk.  It is purely up to each player how, or if, they wish to do this.

Tips and Examples

Though it is not required, italicizing, bolding, punctuation, and capitalization of words can also help add emphasis to the strain an undead creature might have in their resonance.  These are merely examples, if you are playing a wraith and want to have some form of general telepathy when you speak that is your prerogative, provided it does not go outside the red lines.

Morghuul often speak in loud hissing and clicking, or just outright dredging raw, primal sounds from their damaged body to create speech.

[!]The decaying creature croaked, its teeth chattering as it rasped some dreadful sound from the pit of its throat, “I des..pise clerics..”

Wraiths may twist the air in front of them to produce a heinous, shriek-like noise to communicate.  

Angzmarku’s visage produced a disgruntling noise; air contorted, cascading off of the eldritch faceplate as it produced a perverted, wailing voice: “The. Abyss. Is. Mine.”

Ghostlike beings sometimes communicate by producing a telepathic-sort of whisper around them.

[!]A whisper filled the minds of those nearby, the words as coherent as sound.  Each word lingered for a moment as it faded from thought, “Where is my amulet, mortal?” To the man appeared before, the she-ghost was there mouthing along with each word.

Lich-type beings can have a special resonance where their inner-voice is emanated from the skull in general telepathy.

Gravelord Adremeich’s eye sockets glowed green in hue, seeming to burn ever brighter.  Words filled the minds of those nearby in the vernacular of a mortal man, “I will speak with the coven in regards to your trials.”

Dread knights and pale knights sometimes have an unrefined resonance, akin to that of morghuuls and wraiths, where their words are produced by magically-enhanced raw sound.  

[!]Grinding metallic sounds reverberate from the armor’s faceplate, creating primal, loud sounds. “RHADE. DOES. NOT. CARE.” The hulking armor proceeded to slam the ferrum blade into the Cleric’s skull.

Wights can mimic the resonance of most other creatures.

Marlon had a depraved grin on his face. As he went to speak, a different voice came out; not from his mouth. From his mind to that of his associate came the words that trailed with each motion of his jaw. “You dumb ****.”

Red Lines

• Undead creatures that can transmit a telepathic voice are greater creatures of undeath (i.e. liches, wraiths, darkstalkers).  Ghosts who grown accustomed to their form may also do so.  Morghuuls will never be able to do this.

• Undead creatures who use a telepathic resonance do not get to control the targets of their resonance.  It will be just like a normal voice, instead of through sound-waves, it goes to the minds of those nearby.  There must also be some form of tell, (i.e. mandible mouthing as it speaks, glowing eyes that punctuate with each word, ect.) but this is mostly up to the player.

• Resonance is not a separate language.  People can understand it, provided they understand the language that is being resonated.

• The general telepathy cannot be used to cause bodily or mental harm.  At the most it can cause a little shivering to those of weaker constitution.

Edited by Dardonas

tho i have no reason to speak black lang i must salute u for the hard work GJ man o7

23 minutes ago, Dardonas said:

To have sex - hasastal

+1

17 minutes ago, Chaotikal said:

Well, before I could respond you deleted your comment. 

But to address your points which I can no longer quote, namely "why I am doing this for all spooks?"

I laid it out nicely: the language had very little, lore behind it other than "sp00ky people language" and that it had died out.  I saw the tremendous amount of effort that Watyll and Mephistophelian put into this, and I wanted to see the effort that the two of them and those who helped collaborate on the Black Language not be in vain.  If you have actual suggestions on how to improve this, I'm all ears.  I've already changed several things when others approached me and brought up several criticisms in the past 30 minutes.

Like it or not, there are a lot of spooks on the server.  That isn't my fault and you shouldn't blame me for that.  My intent here is to bring flavor to that roleplay, being something more than "undead human" or "undead elf" that speaks plain common like they have a tongue or something (most don't).

How do they speak? What gives them the ability?  It's a talking skeleton! How does that even work?  What about the mistman wraithboy walking around in black sheets, how is he even talking?  Those were the questions I initially wanted to answer.

Edited by Dardonas

37 minutes ago, Dardonas said:

the OG langauge has a shitton of lore, it's just not laid out. It was created during the Ikuras Cult in the form of a revelation to the Mouth of Ikuras, then spread around by the different covenants, including Gravelords if I remmeber correctly.  ANd it hasn't died out, every wretched soul is naturally drawn to it as far as I remember, that it has fallen out of use because of OOC reasons, that's different.

Just now, 6xdestroyer said:

Daily reminder that spoilers save lives

I'll give you my first born if you can help me make them.  I tried earlier and it broke my post

2 hours ago, Dardonas said:

With the revitalization of Undead culture, I find it necessary to add more flavor to their lore and roleplay.  Lich-types, for instance, should not be able to retain their mortal tongues, since they literally do not have tongues.

I hope that *speaks in Khôr'zoda* doesn't becomes a common thing...

Just now, Man of Respect said:

I hope that *speaks in Khôr'zoda* doesn't becomes a common thing...

It'll become as much of a thing as *speaks in Blah*

It would be a nice idea if we didnt have to spend 3 times as long rping just so that we can figure out the words to our speech oocly

43 minutes ago, Fury_Fire said:

It would be a nice idea if we didnt have to spend 3 times as long rping just so that we can figure out the words to our speech oocly

Honestly, with the way I wrote out the mechanics of it it's mainly to be used as a hybridization of it and common, and its pretty optional on how much you want to use, if any at all.  If you had to make it simpler, what would you do?  I trimmed down the grammar portion a bit from what it was originally in its first iteration to try and help that.

Im pretty sure there are translators you can make out there that you can just stick a word in english and then the word in whatever language you come up with. Heard some people talking about that in my normal discord recently - that might make it easier. Also personally dont believe it should be forced on to people; I always get triggered when people who play something try and make lore for something else.

ie. Golemancers acting as lore representatives for golems, or necromancers acting as representatives for ghouls or liches.

Unless you do play one of these creatures being affected by this lore and im full of ****

Edited by Fury_Fire
Phrased that last statement badly. Or rather, gave bad examples - Im fine with people making lore for other things, and it makes COMPLETE sense for necromancers/golemancers to make the lore for their respective constructs. Just not to pretend they know em