[Shelved][✓] Awakened Blood Magic

Aelesh

2 hours ago, Will (TauFirewarrior) said:

From what I gathered from this lore (Which I have no part in either on an IC or OOC level) is that it is a new Branch of Blood Magic. The Magic itself if this were to be accepted branching off into three pathways that offer their own unique take on Blood Magic. You consistently accuse Blood Magic (Among others) of being a massive circle jerk but I can assure you, out of the many teachers there are, only three of them are aligned in RP. The rest are independent agents who teach who they want, when they want. Its not one big group its heavily split up right now.

As for the Powerful aspect, they're powerful in the sense of a utility but absolutely useless in combat, its a trade off where you can either become a behind the scenes kind of mage or remain as a Blood Mage retaining significant combat ability. Since most power is measured by combat effectiveness when it comes to Magic, it is not OP. My critique of the lore which I have, is that its incredibly long for a lore piece. 

The word count is necessary for the amount of information that there is. If needed, the rune section is pretty much a carry over from normal blood magic (with some additions), and can be skipped in its entirety. It is simply there as a reminder and compendium of all runes that the magic works with. The guidelines section at the end is also mostly red lines being restated from the document, or further clarified; it does not have to be read in its entirety either. The aesthetics and closing thoughts sections are likewise optional. That should knock a little under 3000 words off of the total that have to be read, if one should be so inclined as to forgo them.

Whilst this lore is not really the most complex in its mechanics (essentially boiling down to blood sacrifices and various combinations of runes to program rituals), there is a lot of background information that I felt needed to be emphasized and discussed in full.

On 11/21/2017 at 6:03 AM, Sorcerous said:

This is an addition; an entirely separate branch of blood magic for people who want to delve into it more.

Alright, so this doesn't change what any regular old blood mage can currently do yeah?

53 minutes ago, Abyssus said:

Alright, so this doesn't change what any regular old blood mage can currently do yeah?

Current blood mages are left exactly as they are; they use their runes to bolster their other magical skills using their genus (or just their genus if they're not doing a ritual), rather than these blood mages, who use their genus to bring about power directly from their runes. Normal blood mages are completely and utterly unaffected by this in every way.

Edited by Sorcerous

Hello and thank you for writing this. While I am theoretically a fan of all ritual-based types of magics due to my own philosophies, there is something about this lore that makes me uncomfortable and I am very much hesitant to see something like this on the server. My notes for this are as follows:

• "Rite of Firestorm" - just.. hard no on this. I feel like I shouldn't even have to explain this, but the idea that the clique of these new blood mages can just get together and engulf a city in a firestorm is just insane. Nobody is ever going to accept this OOCly if you were to actually use this and they shouldn't have to. The inverse of this ritual would very likely also get OOC rejected if you were going to use it during an ET-run event. The effect is just too powerful, numerical requirements and emote length notwithstanding.
  • A lot of the insight/knowledge rituals will probably get a pass because they are not directly impactful and of a far more buddhist/flavorful/philosophical nature, but reading over the lore (and yes I have read it) the tone of this ritual uses, in my humble opinion, far too profound. It reads like you want blood mages to be some kind of demigod if they keep to the "Awakened" path long enough. But I might be wrong on this, of course. If so, sorry, and if you could explain what kind of RP and character development you had in mind for this subsection of the magic I would be happy to hear it.
  • The blood mage rune system is well transferred this to awakened blood magic. However, here it seems to be a main material cost which would theoretically bottleneck the rituals. However, the runes have no representation in Minecraft so there's nothing really stopping anyone from willing them into existence whenever it is convenient to do so. The lore is insufficiently restrictive on preventing this, as well, acting more as a flavorful addition than an actual difficulty to be overcome.

Lastly, the reason we have the in-thread protocol is that the forum version is to be the official version, which we want people to read and which cannot be edited after acceptance. If you do not format it and only paste it in "for protocol's sake" you make the official version much too difficult to read, and therefore it won't. If this gets accepted I hope you are willing to transfer your lore over to the forums in a sufficiently neat way.

I understand this is somewhat a harsh judgment, but better you hear it now than when I (and possibly other LMs) N-vote you in the mag. I believe if you are to address my concerns I would be willing to change my stance on this.

57 minutes ago, Sporadic said:

Hello and thank you for writing this. While I am theoretically a fan of all ritual-based types of magics due to my own philosophies, there is something about this lore that makes me uncomfortable and I am very much hesitant to see something like this on the server. My notes for this are as follows:

• "Rite of Firestorm" - just.. hard no on this. I feel like I shouldn't even have to explain this, but the idea that the clique of these new blood mages can just get together and engulf a city in a firestorm is just insane. Nobody is ever going to accept this OOCly if you were to actually use this and they shouldn't have to. The inverse of this ritual would very likely also get OOC rejected if you were going to use it during an ET-run event. The effect is just too powerful, numerical requirements and emote length notwithstanding.
  • A lot of the insight/knowledge rituals will probably get a pass because they are not directly impactful and of a far more buddhist/flavorful/philosophical nature, but reading over the lore (and yes I have read it) the tone of this ritual uses, in my humble opinion, far too profound. It reads like you want blood mages to be some kind of demigod if they keep to the "Awakened" path long enough. But I might be wrong on this, of course. If so, sorry, and if you could explain what kind of RP and character development you had in mind for this subsection of the magic I would be happy to hear it.
  • The blood mage rune system is well transferred this to awakened blood magic. However, here it seems to be a main material cost which would theoretically bottleneck the rituals. However, the runes have no representation in Minecraft so there's nothing really stopping anyone from willing them into existence whenever it is convenient to do so. The lore is insufficiently restrictive on preventing this, as well, acting more as a flavorful addition than an actual difficulty to be overcome.

Lastly, the reason we have the in-thread protocol is that the forum version is to be the official version, which we want people to read and which cannot be edited after acceptance. If you do not format it and only paste it in "for protocol's sake" you make the official version much too difficult to read, and therefore it won't. If this gets accepted I hope you are willing to transfer your lore over to the forums in a sufficiently neat way.

I understand this is somewhat a harsh judgment, but better you hear it now than when I (and possibly other LMs) N-vote you in the mag. I believe if you are to address my concerns I would be willing to change my stance on this.

Hello, thank you for reading!

- Currently, blood magic is already capable of this kind of cataclysmic magic. Events have been run in the past where blood mages have used this kind of magic; I have even been told of an event that took place in Athera wherein a giant demon creature was summoned! Of course, those kinds of creatures would be played by ET members, and likewise, this kind of cataclysmic magic would require ET to keep an eye on things and roleplay the effects. I appreciate that you may not like just how powerful this is, but it is currently accepted within pre-existing blood magic lore on the server, and can already be done. I will add a red line to stipulate staff must be present for this kind of ritual if it is to be used on a settlement or populated region, however, so that it will be properly over seen in those event-like cases. In addition to this, I have actually had people tell me that the roleplay this would bring to a nation/settlement would actually be welcomed! Rebuilding the settlement, roleplaying the consequences and such is actually something people like the idea of. This kind of change brings about a lot of roleplay to a region.

- Druids, for instance, have written into their guide that there is 'no known limit' to their abilities. Their age determines how theoretically powerful they can be. In the same way, I have written in a system whereby users of the magic can grow very slowly in power over time, in the same way that a druid grows very slowly in power over time. This is slow enough, that whilst a character may become very powerful, they will never achieve 'demigod' status. Druidism has managed to make this system work for several years now, and I think it can work here too; common sense is king, as they say. In addition, the lore specifically states that knowledge gained via these rituals will always be in the form of 'proverbs/sounds/visions'; I was meaning to imply here that Awakened blood mages will never happen upon explicit knowledge. It would never be anything highly specific, moreso an (as you say) philosophical/metaphysical/religious understanding of the world. The idea here is that these mages will have a very 'vivid' experience of the world. They will be able to describe earth to you based on how it sounds, they will be able to experience the 'taste of starlight', hear the wisdom of the oceans. Imagine druidism's communion, but for all areas of the world. The gathering of knowledge, is meant to be a method of higher communion and almost 'kinship' with the universe.

- I would be happy to write in a red line that stipulates a sign must be placed to detail the time a ritual site was scribed, and that the MT must be made aware when this sign is placed; that way, a record would be kept of exactly when and where the Diagram was created. If scribed in an on going session of roleplay, and then used in that session, the problem shouldn't arise as to 'when was this Diagram created?', I don't think.

If the lore is accepted, I've the idea to work on a long guide for the magic that goes into more depth even than the lore, detailing emotes, equipment, and further roleplay ideas to spice up the magics use. In that way, I'll definitely be porting the lore onto the forums in a more easy to read fashion.

Hopefully that clears up a lot of your concerns; a lot of the hyperbole in the lore is moreso to inspire a sense of awe than anything else, though I know that can be detrimental in what is meant to be a factual piece, it's never interesting to read a very dry piece of lore.

EDIT : I have also just made a little edit to the text dump, hopefully making it easier to read!

Edited by Sorcerous

In light of Sporadic's comments, which I have hopefully responded adequately to, I just want to say that if the LT/MT have any further issues that I would really appreciate you point them out to me, or getting in contact with me. This lore is meant to stick within the bounds of already existent rituals present within blood magic; the only factor that has been changed, is that a practicing mage of the needed element/substance/realm is replaced with more Awakened blood mages. The number of magicians shouldn't change, nor should the blood sacrifices; the magic is staying basically the same overall, it's just acquiring an interest in the gathering of knowledge (and ensorcelling rituals, but those are fairly inconsequential).

If there are still further concerns, I want to discuss them and I want to fix them. I just need to know what they are to be able to do so.

Thank you for submitting your piece! This is now under review and you can expect a verdict in two weeks or so. Votes have slowed due to holidays, 6.0 release, and finals/Winter Break and they will resume back to their normal pace of 1 week once things have settled down, I apologize for the inconvenience.

On 11/27/2017 at 6:37 PM, Sporadic said:

You're aware (as a blood mage with access to the Runes) that the rite of Firestorm currently exists, almost word for word, in our current approved runepage/ritual collection? It has been used multiple times in the past, most notably in the destruction of Waldenia. I don't necessarily disagree with the fact it's too strong, but there's a small issue with your assumption that this is somehow more overpowered than current blood magic.

As for the point of materials, it'd be interesting to see some LT moderation of rune creation (with material cost, IE, iron/gold/etc for respective elements/materials) but I somehow doubt the team is competent enough to handle something like that in it's current state. Either way, it's interesting to get an LT perspective. I'm not the author nor did I have anything directly to do with the piece, but thanks for being vocal enough to discuss it unlike many others.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon.

Lore has been shelved and moved to the appropriate subforum. If you have questions about why this specific lore has been shelved, please contact me via forum PM or over discord at Flamboyant#8856