[Shelved][✓] Paleknight Clarifications

FreeHongKong

Paleknight Clarifications

On interaction with gold

Spoiler

A Paleknights interaction with gold could be easily equated to a golems interaction. With their form consisting of stone laced with ectoplasm they are as easily cut down by gold as any other rock. That is, not at all. The most notable difference a Paleknight experiences is a dull throb caused by the ectoplasm when faced with a significant impact from gold and a lack of reinforcement to the stone from the ectoplasm. This is to say that only a weapon that would significantly dammage stone in its normal state would gain any advantage from being golden.

On lightning

Spoiler

A Paleknights body is true to how an non-ferrous earthly material should behave when exposed to electricity. That is, very little notable happens. Sure in nature a large piece of stone may be effected by lightning under specific circumstance, but the same circumstance translates back to the Menhir of the Eidolon.

On handling

Spoiler

A Paleknights pillar plays apart in its handling process. Directly handling a Paleknight is a pointless endeavor and it must be done from the pillar, the location of the soul. This can be done by any Mystic or Wight and it will purge the previous the previous masters from control. Through this method a knight can have a single master, but to replicate the twin masters that result from the original creation the knight must be re-handled by two users at the same time.

On the pillar and the soul

Spoiler

A Paleknights pillar may only be host to a single soul at any given time, and thus only serve as the phylactery to any single knight. While the large pillar of Menhir may be shattered with enough effort, it will not instantly end the knight. As the pillar is only a host, and the knight is mostly self sufficient. This means that the knight will become host to its own soul. If it faces destruction while host to itself then the soul is doomed, but if it's bonded to a pillar once more it can shake the clause of permanent death. Ectoplasm, with its self sustaining properties, allows the reformation of the knight to negate damaging, or taking material from, the pillar. A soul-shadow may be made into a Paleknight with nothing extra involved. The soul-shadow is considered strong enough to facilitate the process. It is only when one attempts to tear a soul from Ebrietæs that any extra sacrifice is needed.

On less than critical damage

Spoiler

A Paleknights ectoplasm has the same restorative properties of any ectoplasmic creature, but it still faces a limit. If a Paleknight is damaged without dispelling then it may heal only to the point of mending functionality. Cracks, chips, and other marks will all persist until the next remanifestation, and sometimes will be locked in if allowed to last. The destruction of an appendage, loss of limb, and other breaches of form that won't cause demanifestation will mend themselves over time in a process that's much to slow to occur in combat, but may be observed.
-Explicitly is not a combat factor. Explicitly can not happen in combat.

On the interaction between mortal and undead

Spoiler

A Paleknights senses are sensitive to those that surround them, but this is not an attuned sense. In proximity to mortals a knight will feel discomforted. A nagging sense of anxiety will be felt, as if they do not belong, but this is not something that can be pinpointed. They are not aware of the source of such a feeling. On the other hand an undead in disguise as a mortal will not trigger the sense, but this cannot be used to see through the disguise. The only notable differences is a knight's change in mannerisms, it cannot perceive anything extra or act as a seer for others.
-Explicitly cannot be used to metagame location, identity, or disguise. Is explicitly only to effect the knights mood and mannerisms.

You forgot to clarify why they still exist

3 minutes ago, iMattyz said:

You forgot to clarify why they still exist

I agree, the whole undead races are really there to cater to a certain group, other than that they have 0 to offer to the majority of the playerbase.

So ya kinda just removed the lightning weakness?

i mean like sure, I doesent make sense in the first place, but technically gold hitting rotten things shouldn't be effective either

13 hours ago, Jentos said:

i mean like sure, I doesent make sense in the first place, but technically gold hitting rotten things shouldn't be effective either

Aurum's latent ability hails back to Lagomorphia's lore which set the ground work for a lot of the stuff (we **** on and) use today such as Golems, Thanhium and etc. The concept hails back from Asulon of how Golems used to operate. Cores of aurum were constructed and hammered into the chest of dying descendants to capture the soul. The entire concept of aurum being used to hurt spooks is the idea that a golden weapon, a material that can potentially capture and hold onto bits of the soul, is passing through an incorporeal figure, effectively tearing a portion of themselves with an attack.

Things have certainly taken an odd turn by the Witcher-boos wanting anything like beasts to be hurt by Aurum but realistically any creature whose soul is being tethered by a means of magic should be vulnerable to aurum.

Your section on gold only seems to regard the use of bladed aurum weaponry, and not alternatives that would be of better use against Paleknight/knight-type undead such as maces. I suggest you add that golden swords and other bladed armaments are of little use against a Paleknight's stone exterior, but aurum maces and blunt force trauma relative aurum weapons should be able to easily crack their plating.

21 hours ago, Jentos said:

Lightning as a weakness stems from a general lack of understanding of lightning. It should behave as any other rock would against lightning because its just a glowing sentient rock. Gold vs rotten things is just an issue of ghoul/necro lore tho.

6 hours ago, Swgrclan said:

Your section on gold only seems to regard the use of bladed aurum weaponry, and not alternatives that would be of better use against Paleknight/knight-type undead such as maces. I suggest you add that golden swords and other bladed armaments are of little use against a Paleknight's stone exterior, but aurum maces and blunt force trauma relative aurum weapons should be able to easily crack their plating.

When I was working on this and talking to the original writer I was told that gold weakness was actually just something he forgot to edit out and included on accident so I just wrote something to respect how long the lore was sitting like that. Tbh tho blunt gold only is probably a better middle ground and I made an edit based on what you suggested.

Thank you for submitting your piece! This is now under review and you can expect a verdict in two weeks or so. Votes have slowed due to holidays, 6.0 release, and finals/Winter Break and they will resume back to their normal pace of 1 week once things have settled down, I apologize for the inconvenience.

On 12/2/2017 at 5:00 AM, Jentos said:

It doesn't entirely make logical sense but it's a witcher-esque theme that has become ubiquitous in LotC lore which is why it's nice. It's very hard to find concepts that are as consistent throughout all lore as Aurum Weapons are.

On 12/2/2017 at 7:42 PM, Swgrclan said:

GOOD point. But that calls into question the REASON why Aurum is so successful in the first place. Because gold is a very heavy but VERY soft metal, which would make it even worse as a crushing tool that it would already be as a bladed weapon.

2 hours ago, Sporadic said:

It doesn't entirely make logical sense but it's a witcher-esque theme that has become ubiquitous in LotC lore which is why it's nice. It's very hard to find concepts that are as consistent throughout all lore as Aurum Weapons are.

GOOD point. But that calls into question the REASON why Aurum is so successful in the first place. Because gold is a very heavy but VERY soft metal, which would make it even worse as a crushing tool that it would already be as a bladed weapon.

If we disregard the existence of "slayersteel" (it literally discards any need whatsoever to make gold weapons anymore), I suppose aurum weaponry could be considered sacrificial tools needed to combat dark or monstrous entities. As in, this brand of weapons may be able to dispatch creatures at a far superior capacity to mundane or iron/steel weaponry, but they must be handled with care based on their fragile and soft makeup. I think it's a good balance, really. One aurum warhammer/what have you cannot be used on five Paleknights realistically. But, then again, slayersteel exists, meaning one slayersteel weapon can do the same to five Paleknights without sustaining as much damage while having the same effect.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon.

Lore has been shelved and moved to the appropriate subforum. If you have questions about why this specific lore has been shelved, please contact me via forum PM or over discord at Flamboyant#8856