The forums have been updated to IPS Community Version 4.2.2 - We're still working on improving the theme for everyone to enjoy so please hang tight. We will also hopefully have new features soon to share with you all.

Welcome to The Lord Of The Craft

We're currently the #1 Minecraft Roleplaying Server, fitted with custom plugins, a unique crafting system, custom character cards and an incredibly active and passionate community; We're serious about Roleplay and we're always eager for new faces!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sporadic

Denizens of Axios: Average players and newbie retention

18 posts in this topic

Sup LotC,

People who remember me way back when know I did 2 editions of the "Denizens of LotC" statistical analyses. At the time, we focused on the Persona plugin and the various distributions between the races, as well as the relative activity each of the races over time. Now that the map is winding down, I decided to parse through the entirety of our server logs to find some valuable data on player counts, averages, and the retention of new players. All of this is important data to better understand the dynamics of our server and how to best improve, or indeed if recent measures have in fact caused the improvement we hoped for.

Following the example of @Deminisher and with @Vaynth giving me access to the AT logs, we know have some unique graphs that span the entirety of Axios. Here's the first one, which has the average player count normalized per-week.

g2MeTUm.png

This is the total average player count over the entirety of the map. We also have the maximum player count, which obviously is just the highest number of players the server reaches on any given day. In this case, 7 values of a single week are averaged to have a less hairy graph, as the weekend peaks are very prominent when taking data points for every day. See the spoiler below for more information.

There are some obvious features we might expect, such as the New Map Rush which gradually tapers off. Our maximum has 2 small spikes in October 2017 which correspond to some of the more recent Warclaims. A summer rush in July and August is also evident. I've been told by Teegah the january-february spike is due to the massive world war event which determined the fate of Oren, which goes to show the power of player-ran wars to boost activity.

Important also is to note some server log files are lost around mid-february and mid-april. The down-spike and straight line are indicative of this, and will also be prominent in other graphs. These flats also correspond to a blacklist Mojang issues on LotC around the time period, which was an unfortunate time on our server.

And now a graph to punish your eyes. The same information, but given per day. Click on your own peril

Spoiler

tUs59b7.png

This graph is grotesquely hairy which is due to our somewhat intense weekend spikes, which see an increase of nearly 50% of the player count. Weekends are very important to LotC because it is a social game which relies on other people to have the best experience. This is reflected here. Note that we also have a "prime time average players", which is taken as an average only measured between 6PM-6AM UTC

The dead periods around February and April are especially evident here. This is when the server logs files are lost. It also corresponds to our Mojang blacklist which was a very unfortunate time for our little server. Luckily we've come away from this problem mostly unscathed.

Our record player count is 402, which is an unintentional runaway as we usually cap our players to 300.

Or the same information, but catagorized by month. Note again that February was an odd time for us and the logs are unreliable.

jvaMUJC.png

If you were ever wondering what the best time is to find Roleplay or do an event, we now have an answer for you: The following graph has the average player counts categorized  by data. It is also very smooth so it's a pleasure to look at

ULVlGCC.png

To the surprise of no-one, we have a down time and a prime time on our server, and the height of that prime time is very predictably around 22 GMT. Note that in this graph the period between 12AM and 1AM is missing due to the methodology, but due to the extremely smooth nature of this graph it can easily be imagined in. Note that the difference between prime and lowtime is easily a factor of 3, which is why we are constantly looking for ways to make the quiet times more enticing.

And here's the number to remember and compare all the future maps to. The total average player count over the entirety of Axios is:

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway for your entertainment and our information we've also taken some data on new player retention. This is mostly just numbers to rattle off, but our one and only graph on the matter is as follows:

6ueOWRz.png

Which is just the total amount of new players being accepted for each month. Nicer numbers than I had originally expected, so perhaps I've messed up in the methodology somewhere. I've also overlayed the monthly average player count over the numbers, just to show the vague correlation between having people online and having new players. Surprise: You must log in to entice people to come play with us.

And here are the numbers on the matter:

Total amount of newly incoming players on Axios: 1427

Newbies who spent at least 10 hours on the server in their first month: 691

Newbies who spent at least 20 hours on the server in their SECOND month: 246

Newbies who are still logging into the server in November 2017: 389

Newbies who played at least 50 hours on LotC: 374

Newbies who played at least 100 hours on LotC: 262

Newbies who played at least 300 hours on LotC: 141

Newbies who played at least 1000 hours on LotC: 31

Miss Axios

I want to close off by celebrating the people that joined in Axios and have gone on to become the most active players of our batch of newbies. The truly outstanding individuals who have made LotC their second home, who contributed to the server immensely over the course of 5.0, and have managed to accumulate the most hours played out of the >1000 new players coming in this map. You will recognize their names, but let's use spoilers for excitement's sake.

3)

Spoiler

@TitanOfTheDepths

with over 2000 hours played since October 2016 you get the third-most active newbie award. The Event Team is lucky to have you. Hope you don't get purged anymore.

2)

Spoiler

@Suxals

It's good to know the GM team is able to recruit the best of the best of the new incoming players. Suxals narrowly beat out the third place newbie by a margin of 60 hours.

1)

Spoiler

Blowing the competition out of the water with over 2500 hours played on Axios, the Newbie of the map also regularly tops the GM charts on most modreqs handled.

That's right, it's @MrMineLoveDude.

Congratulations. Was rooting for you on the GM director nominations, but alas this shoutout will have to do.

Defender default and capped raids are hurting player retention 

:/

brain overload

This is great, thanks for putting this together!

@Sporadic Wow, i didnt expect this prize, tbh i joined at mid of Junary with a really bad english (still not that good yet) and Lotc has been my second home and a place to gain knowledge since that.

Smash the new map and gas nexus, things will only get better.

47 minutes ago, Teegah said:

Yo stop mooching off my karma farm.

stuff that supports rp is reducing player base oh NOOOOOOOO!

but hey really interesting write up this stuff is really cool, especially in the future!

38 minutes ago, Teegah said:

Defender default protects noobs more than anything else on the server (other than new persona protection). New players don't spawn in with prot iron and steel swords, and don't keep them when they die, so it is much more likely that a new player will engage in RP combat rather than PvP combat. Not to mention that PvP on here can be confusing at first, so it's best that they walk around and see how it's done or get the chance to get told how to take part. As for raids, most people understand by now that they are bad unless both sides are okay with the raid happening; otherwise, you get locked out of the city, next to no PvP happens, or if you do get in, you just make that group of players pissed and the experience is ruined in some way for both parties. No one calls for the raid rules to be enforced when both sides are okay with the raid, so the cap is only meant to protect those who don't want to be raided. If you're wanting to be able to raid another group, then talk to them about it and try to come to an agreement to make it fun for both sides. If they don't want to be raided then leave them alone; you're not going to get anything out of attacking people like that other than hate.

good work sporadic, Making the server a better place +1

3 hours ago, Teegah said:

my boy teegah out here handing out the HARD truth

I'd like to thank the academy.

4 minutes ago, MrMineLoveDude said:

I'd like to thank the academy.

I see how it is...