shiftnative

Freebuild tile rules poll

Freebuild rules poll  

140 members have voted

1. 1. If you build in a freebuild tile without a protected region, should other players be able to break your blocks?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if I'm online and we roleplay it
    • Not completely destroyed, made into a ruin with RP signs
  2. 3. Should there be any other exclusive rules for freebuild tiles?

• Yes, (comment below)
    • No

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure what the devs have decided on rule-wise for building within the next maps freebuild tiles and I'm very curious to see what everyone else thinks about unprotected builds/how they should be handled.

Why I voted Yes,

I personally would like to see the return of a truly lawless wilds, where players can break others blocks that are unprotected and not feel like they're walking on eggshells. Having this freedom again not only makes the world feel more tangible but also completely rules out so many grey areas in the rules regarding interacting with other player's builds. Find protection under a nation tile or tough it out in the wilds and share your characters story.

I do understand this means small cottages and things in the wilds could very well be destroyed in the middle of the night but as-long as they know that's a possibility from the beginning I feel as though it is worth the sacrifice.

People should be allowed to break blocks freely in freebuild tiles, but there should be limits when it comes to destroying other people's builds. I'm all for people caving in roofs, lighting a few things on fire, or chopping down a couple of support beams, but a freebuild construction of any reasonable size shouldn't just dissapear in the middle of the night without a trace.

And if you are going to destroy people's builds in a freebuild tile, leave rp signs saying what has occurred, leave ruins behind so that people know something was once there, try to make the destruction of the build something that promotes rp instead of just taking away other people's hard work and replacing it with an empty field. 

Yeah I wouldn't mind destruction of buildings if you're building in an unprotected tile 'cus that's a risk you take. However, there's got a to be a limit to destruction so that people aren't allowed to run around destroying everything.

I don't want Atlas to end up looking like this:

mMtxOIr.jpg

The "breaking your builds" thing was one of the questions I had about the whole situation, as I understand it there was never really an ability to grief in game so we don't really have rules against it. Freebuild can be really good for the server, however its also pretty clear that with as large a community as LoTC has there is a very real possibility of the "minecraft griefer" to show its ugly head.

My suggestion to the freebuild rules would be to set up something akin to the "no rp killing" rules, where players are always given the ability to break others builds; however they are punished if found to be doing it for "lols" and not as a result of rp.

I also think there should be an effort made to make sure that players don't go around building noob towers and other generally obtrusive structures. That's not to say that I think everyone should be required to construct some beautiful home, however I do think that some level of upkeep should be done around a freebuild map. Worldedit actually has a pretty nice feature for this, that allows you to upload a base copy of a map and run the //restore comand in an area to revert whats there now to whats there in the base copy. You can even take that base copy and apply roads and major landmarks to it, so that they will be kept in restorations. 

Freebuilding is honestly the dumbest idea, let's be real guys.

((This isn’t adding to the conversation at all, but a new pol option got added and now my vote isn’t for what I believe in most, so just pretend there’s one less vote for “yes”, and one more vote for “Not completely destroyed, make into ruin with RP signs”. If any FMs want to remove/crop out this message  feel free to do so))

9 minutes ago, Tox said:

Freebuilding is honestly the dumbest idea, let's be real guys.

Could you explain why you think that?

Okay. Let's add in freebuilds. However. Nation leaders invoke the right to destroy anything g free built in their tiles for ANY reason. And somesorta no noon dirt huts. A one week ban for poor building should be enforced 

3 minutes ago, Taketheshot said:

Okay. Let's add in freebuilds. However. Nation leaders invoke the right to destroy anything g free built in their tiles for ANY reason. And somesorta no noon dirt huts. A one week ban for poor building should be enforced 

Thoughts on if nation tiles were protected from free build?

Some people dislike the institution and politics of acquiring your own land within a nation and quite honestly it can be a real headache to get. Thus while sure things should be able to be broken, it should only be done in a rp manner. 

Absolutely no breaking of other's builds without express permission of the owner. I'm genuinely surprised such a thing is up for discussion. However some exceptions exist, such as poor buildings and land scarring and so on.

I struggle to see the gain from having some bored players going about to destroy builds. Granted I'm pretty biased as someone who enjoys putting time and effort into building. It is entirely too easy to forge an rp excuse to mask poor ooc behavior. This gives aggressive players an advantage over passive players in a demographic where a system like defender-default has been fairly successful.

In regards to grey areas, and the lack of tangible rp from a 'grief-free' building area; If two players cannot cooperate to create a unique rp experience on their own, then everyone loses in the end. Something like that cannot be forced in this manner. It only breeds contempt and negativity in a player base that can already be quite poisonous to one another.

Consent is a healthy thing.

I don't like freebuilds. I'd prefer a plot system instead (or both maybe) because plots can create roleplay and you have control of where they are. Particularly, though, I remember free build areas usually got trashed and any work the original builders did was destroyed quickly.

This is not an issue that should be decided with a poll. Freebuild will turn out as a disaster if two things are not done and these are obvious:

- People simply must be allowed to destroy freebuild structures wherever they are found, or they will spring up literally everywhere.

- GMs MUST enforce some kind of building standards, or crappy cobblestone forts and shitty acacia houses will dot the otherwise nice landscapes.

In order to have protection, you should have to go into a city in order to centralise roleplay. You shouldn't just be shielded because you've chosen to build some shitty little shack in the middle of nowhere because that makes absolutely no sense and will end up with RP being decentralized yet again. As maps progress it gradually diffuses onto the entire map where now I can hardly ever find anyone, this has to stop.

Don't **** this up.

Not only should the build be reverted into a repairable ruin through roleplay/raiding but locked chests should be allowed and griefing should be prohibited. Freebuild tiles must be kept clean and natural with any such land scarring being met with harsh punishments. 

In otherwords, if someone wants to go destroy someones cottage they need to raid the cottage and RP burning it down. The person has to be on but doesn't have to be present either. This makes it so that people in large settlements in the wilds can be raided and have their settlements destroyed through RP. No griefing would be allowed, that being the destruction of blocks without proper RP. 

2 hours ago, SeventhCircle said:

Thoughts on if nation tiles were protected from free build?

good, but the ban thing still stands, it needs to be made clear that if you cant build a somewhat aesthetically pleasing build, dont do it. The most immersive breaking thing would be walking into the wild to find a 5x10 wood plank hut.

Just a simple suggestion for my 1,001 post.

@shiftnative @Paleo @telanir 

Freebuild should be forced into a few tiles unowned by Nations or Guilds or whatever Sutica is these days.

This freebuild tile should not be 'freebuild' in a sense anyone can go there from day 1 and build. This region should require region perms which is easy enough to just make a modreq, ask for you to be added, and you can build.

With the building of Dirt Houses and Land scarring, you are to be remove from this freebuild tile and all others and be put on a blacklist, which is where the modreqing for region perms is brought in.

This process will prevent the Atheran Farlands from taking over Atlas. We don't need the Uruk Sugarcane farm again. Tasty's wheat farm alone covered most of the Farlands.