The forums have been updated to IPS Community Version 4.2.2 - We're still working on improving the theme for everyone to enjoy so please hang tight. We will also hopefully have new features soon to share with you all.

Welcome to The Lord Of The Craft

We're currently the #1 Minecraft Roleplaying Server, fitted with custom plugins, a unique crafting system, custom character cards and an incredibly active and passionate community; We're serious about Roleplay and we're always eager for new faces!

 

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ford

Should Guilds stick primarily with cities?

48 posts in this topic

Continuation/actual thread for what @zaezae's status update was going on about. I think guilds should try and find a way to be with cities, personally. Enough of the decentralized RP and having to trek around to find some private keep atop a mountain (that's not a nation-owned fortress) that's locked and has no one inside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ford said:

Continuation/actual thread for what @zaezae's status update was going on about. I think guilds should try and find a way to be with cities, personally. Enough of the decentralized RP and having to trek around to find some private keep atop a mountain (that's not a nation-owned fortress) that's locked and has no one inside

 

nations should be the ones trying to accommodate the guilds, not the other way around

 

a few places have done that successfully, e.g. sutica has a number of guilds in it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really see much point in the question.

 

Every person and every group is going to try and get the best deal they can get. Be it the best land, the best conditions so on so forth. I don't think you can blame them for this.

 

Somebody might want to avoid getting sucked into wars. There's nothing wrong with that.

Some might want to avoid the impacts that a nation's culture might have. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe some want to be visibly neutral and don't want to hinder recruitment by appearing tied to a nation. Nothing wrong there, either.

 

I don't think it's a matter of guilds saying "I don't want to be in any nation at all" as much as it is these nations simply not giving them the things they could get elsewhere.

 

 

And we're not even breaching the subject of spooks, yet. They have ALL the reason to congregate outside of nations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Pink Lion said:

 

nations should be the ones trying to accommodate the guilds, not the other way around

 

a few places have done that successfully, e.g. sutica has a number of guilds in it

 

 

sutica should have clerics, ascended, and druids, and that's fine and i like the conflict RP that occurs between them, but because of this RP people get bitchy OOCly because god forbid there be ANY conflict with anyone not apart of OUR clique and it's a **** mindset, so, yeah, I agree with you. Although I'm not sure what you mean by nations not being accommodating for guilds. Unless guilds cause massive amounts of chaos and criminal activity, then it shouldnt be a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ford said:

 

sutica should have clerics, ascended, and druids, and that's fine and i like the conflict RP that occurs between them, but because of this RP people get bitchy OOCly because god forbid there be ANY conflict with anyone not apart of OUR clique and it's a **** mindset, so, yeah, I agree with you. Although I'm not sure what you mean by nations not being accommodating for guilds. Unless guilds cause massive amounts of chaos and criminal activity, then it shouldnt be a problem. 

 

If a nation wants a guild for their activity, they should try and get the guild by reaching out to them, not forcing them. Same with if it's a guild wants to be in a nation. Combustionary goes over my thoughts in more depth, I haven't slept much so I'm sorry if I'm not being clear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aelu / Rel (Combustionary) said:

I don't really see much point in the question.

 

Every person and every group is going to try and get the best deal they can get. Be it the best land, the best conditions so on so forth. I don't think you can blame them for this.

 

Somebody might want to avoid getting sucked into wars. There's nothing wrong with that.

Some might want to avoid the impacts that a nation's culture might have. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe some want to be visibly neutral and don't want to hinder recruitment by appearing tied to a nation. Nothing wrong there, either.

 

I don't think it's a matter of guilds saying "I don't want to be in any nation at all" as much as it is these nations simply not giving them the things they could get elsewhere.

 

 

And we're not even breaching the subject of spooks, yet. They have ALL the reason to congregate outside of nations.

 

 

The Druidic Order is a p. good example of a "guild" that's neutral but can still live in certain cities that accept them (there'll always be one city that accepts them), they don't usually get sucked into wars, and a neutral nation like Sutica doesnt really even have a culture, and wood elves would accept them most likely, maybe even halflings (once they get their **** together). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you should let guilds alone and dont mind their business, because if they are not within a city there might be a reason for that, the nations should try to improve and try to incentivate those guilds to move to their cities rather to just wait for the activity to come to them. From my own experience i could mention when the Ascended moved to Kal'omith, we were going to try to form a nation and had the money to buy 3 tiles and enough players to meet the quota of the activity checks, but the dwarves offered us a really good protection, good treatment  and a huge space to build so we moved there. Dont try to force the players to do X thing that they dont want to do, because they will fight against it or it just wont work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah sure, I think /most/ guilds should try to get into cities and cities should try to attract groups of players. I know everyone likes to FREAK OUT about cliques and wha tnot, but really, if you like a certain kind of roleplay you're like going to want people who enjoy it in kind. That's all it boils down to really. However, I do not believe it's right or fair that there be two sets of rules depending where a player might live. I think one way for cities to attract guilds is to create very large plots inside the city for an urban manor slot. Guilds need enough space in their plot to create a 'cultural identity'. Enough space for the decorations to let you know what they're about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ford said:

 

The Druidic Order is a p. good example of a "guild" that's neutral but can still live in certain cities that accept them (there'll always be one city that accepts them), they don't usually get sucked into wars, and a neutral nation like Sutica doesnt really even have a culture, and wood elves would accept them most likely, maybe even halflings (once they get their **** together). 

 

 

Question there is, what would that order have to gain by moving and giving up their independence?

 

It's a lot to ask, to give up your autonomy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, diversify rp in a selection of hubs, not split it off into little 5-man circle-jerks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aelu / Rel (Combustionary) said:

 

Question there is, what would that order have to gain by moving and giving up their independence?

 

 

Independence to do what? If they were already allowed into the nation and aren't a criminal guild, then what would they be doing that wasn't already agreed upon? If I was apart of a Mage's Guild and we were allowed, then any dangerous experiments that might be illegal due to the damage it might be caused would be done outside of the city momentarily and then we'd return. And they gain protection, I assume, rather than being in the wilderness and getting gangbanged by raiders constantly without anyone around to help them besides themselves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, as long as guilds outside of nations are wc-able I don't see the issue with them being on their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ford said:

 

Independence to do what? If they were already allowed into the nation and aren't a criminal guild, then what would they be doing that wasn't already agreed upon? If I was apart of a Mage's Guild and we were allowed, then any dangerous experiments that might be illegal due to the damage it might be caused would be done outside of the city momentarily and then we'd return. And they gain protection, I assume, rather than being in the wilderness and getting gangbanged by raiders constantly without anyone around to help them besides themselves

 

Well sure, you might prefer being in a city to not being in one. 

 

What if, say, none of the cities appeal to you? Be it culture, build style, anything. Not to mention that you're unlikely to get much more than a boring rectangular manor plot at best, by moving into a city (with current plots, at least).

 

Ultimately I suppose 'protection' isn't enough to get most people interested after the points in my first post, and others. Anything more specific than a generic guild of fighting things is only going to 'fit' in a couple nations at best, and all it takes then is soured relations with a leader or two to make the wilderness a lot more appealing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if we were to drastically reduce the Godly powers of the PRO then guilds would feel more welcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.