[✓] [Arcane] [Magic] Voidal Shifting Additions

Mr. Etan

Voidal Shifting Additions

Material Shifting:

A new skill derived through study of voidal shifting use, instead of projecting one's self through the void you would do this to an object, taking it and shifting it to the designated location, though an odd property is noted that before the object is shifted it would be slowly covered in a shroud of the casters aura, alerting the unsuspecting if they catch sight of such. This feat is normally learned around T3, though mishaps can happen such as shifting the object slightly off or too short of the destination, finally mastering such a feat around T4. This would follow the same rules as any alteration, the object must not be organic, the larger the object the longer and more taxing it is to shift it.

Redlines:

-Must be in line of sight.

-Cannot exceed normal shifting distances.

-Cannot be Organic material, must be non organic or dead organic.

-Same emote length as normal shifting, the large the object and the vaster the distance the more you must do and the most taxing it will be.

-Cannot shift moving objects at all, they must be still.

-Follows the same redlines as normal shifting.

-Must emote the shroud of aura over the object before the shift.

Group Shifting:

With theory one can send themselves through the void but what about their friends? Through testing and study comes a new ability with voidal shifting to focus your magic and shift a willing person from point A to B. This would, of course, follows the same properties as normal shifting not exceeding normal standards in any way. The only difference notable is that a shroud of the casters aura would begin to cover the target, alerting anyone if they were unsuspecting. One last thing to be noted, the caster cannot shift with their target, thus they would need to move the target before moving themselves if need be. This feat is normally learned around T4, mishaps can happen when first being practiced such as being slightly off or too short of the destination, finally getting the hang of it around T5. This should take 2-3+ (+ an additional emote per 5 blocks) to cast. Large group shifts are not unheard of, with the many feats circling rituals can induce.

Redlines:

-Line of sight is needed.

-The further away the person is from you, the longer it takes to prepare the spell to shift them. One emote for every 5 blocks distance, not exceeding max shifting distance.

-The individual must be “Willing”, this would be someone who is standing still / not moving around drastically. If the individual is walking/running away the caster won't be able to focus on them.

-Cannot shift at the same time with the target unless doing a circling ritural group shift.

-Follows the same redlines as normal shifting.

-You MUST emote the shroud of aura slowly covering your target, this gives them a chance to resist.

Brisk Step

Known as “Blinking” to some, this is a quick use of voidal shifting over a small area. This tactic is employed by mages who want to get escape areas as fast as possible. Unlike standard shifting, the Brisk Step can only move linearly, be it forward, backward, or diagonally; furthermore, when the magic user “Blinks” over, an arcanic trial-- typically the color of their aura-- will follow, rather than an explosion of ethereal energies. Once the mage reappears, the trail fades at their being. This is learned at T2, and should take 1-2 actions to complete. (One for connection, One for the skills use.)

Distance:

T2: two meters.

T3: four meters.

T4-T5: six meters.

Redlines:

-Brisk Step is linear in its movements.

-An arcanic trail must be emoted.

-The distance rule must be followed unless specific lore states otherwise.

-MUST roleplay exhaustion per the shifting lore, back to back blinking will cause the mage to become exhausted fast as expected. You can do up to 5/6 Back to Back blinks before you're drenched in sweat extremely exhausted. Again, be sure to RP the building up exhaustion. 

-As expected, cant go through objects and especially people (Don't blink through a person behind them, the path has to be clear.)

Purpose of these additions:

We felt like there was a need to add a little more spice to such a dull one use magic, giving it more tasteful RP potential. Please if you have any concerns for this post feedback and it will be addressed. Any suggestions and feedback will be appriciated greatly.

Special Thanks to:

Phil / Bokratz - Suggestions & The Brisk Step

Gladuos - Suggestions

KetchenX - Moral Support

Phil: tbh i dislike the power creep in magic
also phil: i really like the power creep in magic

1 minute ago, Heero said:

Phil: tbh i dislike the power creep in magic
also phil: i really like the power creep in magic

right, because offering my two cents in regards to a piece for a magic, and adding something in to give a **** magic some content makes me love the power creep. Really good deduction, detective. I wonder where you got your intuition from.

8 minutes ago, The Fire Mind said:

right, because offering my two cents in regards to a piece for a magic, and adding something in to give a **** magic some content makes me love the power creep. Really good deduction, detective. I wonder where you got your intuition from.

old boy's splitting at the seams

rip

Gives the magic more spice, since it is a magic that currently does one thing and one thing only.

59 minutes ago, Tox said:

Brisk Step

Known as “Blinking” to some, this is a quick use of voidal shifting over a small area. This tactic is employed by mages who want to get escape areas as fast as possible. Unlike standard shifting, the Brisk Step can only move linearly, be it forward, backward, or diagonally; furthermore, when the magic user “Blinks” over, an arcanic trial-- typically the color of their aura-- will follow, rather than an explosion of ethereal energies. Once the mage reappears, the trail fades at their being. This is learned at T2, and should take 1-2 actions to complete.

Distance:

T2: two meters.

T3: four meters.

T4-T5: six meters.

Redlines:

-Brisk Step is linear in its movements.

-An arcanic trail must be emoted.

-The distance rule must be followed unless specific lore states otherwise.

-MUST roleplay exhaustion per the shifting lore, back to back blinking will cause the mage to become exhausted fast as expected.

This may be a dumb question but does this go through city gates?

Just now, _Jandy_ said:

Nope! Only places you can walk mcly!

6 minutes ago, _Jandy_ said:

5 minutes ago, KetchenX said:

Nope! Only places you can walk mcly!

Essentially it still follows shifting lore, cant go through glass, walls, gates, solids. So forth. Gotta be able to get there MCly.

I think this is a great addition to make the magic far more useful than before without a drastic overhaul or spike in power, possibly pulling players away from a gross linear path of which magics are most powerful. +1

4 hours ago, Tox said:

Brisk Step

Known as “Blinking” to some, this is a quick use of voidal shifting over a small area. This tactic is employed by mages who want to get escape areas as fast as possible. Unlike standard shifting, the Brisk Step can only move linearly, be it forward, backward, or diagonally; furthermore, when the magic user “Blinks” over, an arcanic trial-- typically the color of their aura-- will follow, rather than an explosion of ethereal energies. Once the mage reappears, the trail fades at their being. This is learned at T2, and should take 1-2 actions to complete.

5e0.png