[✓] [World Lore] The Beastsmith's Arsenal

Avacyn

36 minutes ago, Avacyn said:

thank you for yet another exceedingly insightful post of yours, i look forward to the next time you look for my name on the forums to comment on something i say i really appreciate the special attention uwu

the post I made wasn't even targeting you, but okay

but for real, I think lotc lore these days relies on sounding cool while lacking any real content or original ideas. we have a ludicrous breadth of lore and none of it is more than a foot deep. there are hundreds of special creatures and now you can collect their blood to make magic swords or something. do these creatures rp having magic blood? I actually wouldn't know because the lore is too opaque.

good fantasy writing reserves at least a little bit of realism and tries to juxtapose the magical against the mundane. it tries to make magic make sense in the loosest terms but doesn't leave an opening where readers would be just be puzzled by it. it creates a sense of mystery and a suspension of disbelief that lets ridiculous tropes like forging blood into swords slip by. lotc lore can't do anything like that because every other character is the incarnation of tahariae or an ascended lv100 planeswalker archmagus or something else, and nobody seems to have a problem with people being able to shoot lightning out of their hands or bring the dead back to life.

there is no gradient between magical and mundane on this server. there is nothing between "just some random dude" and "an actual demigod." magic is boring because it is the functional analogue of carrying a gun, it does not interact with non-magical characters besides to threaten or kill them. nothing dares to break that precedent because writing lore is essentially writing gun legislation. the lore team is petrified by the task of balancing everyone's magics against each other, and lore writers are trapped in a vortex of outdated lore and byzantine rules.

lotc lore is extremely stupid. people write it to alienate other players and make themselves more powerful. everything exists on arbitrary power levels that half of the server can't even claim to understand. it is overflowing with barely-thought out concepts and outdated arcana, and all of it is written in a language of bad fantasy clichés. 

Edited by tavern_roleplay

1 minute ago, tavern_roleplay said:

the post I made wasn't even targeting you, but okay

but for real, I think lotc lore these days relies on sounding cool while lacking any real content or original ideas. we have a ludicrous breadth of lore and none of it is more than a foot deep. there are hundreds of special creatures and now you can collect their blood to make magic swords or something. do these creatures rp having magic blood? I actually wouldn't know because the lore is too opaque.

the best fantasy writing reserves at least a little bit of realism and tries to juxtapose the magical against the mundane. it tries to make magic make sense in the loosest terms but doesn't leave an opening where readers would be just be puzzled by it. it creates a sense of mystery and a suspension of disbelief that lets ridiculous tropes like forging blood into swords slip by. lotc lore can't do anything like that because every other character is the incarnation of tahariae or an ascended lv100 planeswalker archmagus or something else, and nobody seems to have a problem with people being able to shoot lightning out of their hands or bring the dead back to life.

there is no gradient between magical and mundane on this server. there is nothing between "just some random dude" and "an actual demigod." magic is boring because it is the functional analogue of carrying a gun, it does not interact with non-magical characters besides to threaten or kill them. nothing dares to break that precedent because writing lore is essentially writing gun legislation. the lore team is petrified by the task of balancing everyone's magics against each other, and lore writers are trapped in a vortex of outdated lore and byzantine rules.

lotc lore is extremely stupid. people write it to alienate other players and make themselves more powerful. everything exists on arbitrary power levels that half of the server can't even claim to understand. it is overflowing with barely-thought out concepts and outdated arcana, and all of it is written in a language of bad fantasy clichés. 

nice blog post

5 minutes ago, Avacyn said:

nice blog post

says the man who wrote an entire convoluted diatribe describing how he can quench his katana in demon blood

Just now, tavern_roleplay said:

says the man who wrote an entire convoluted diatribe describing how he can quench his katana in demon blood

t. brainlet who didn't use the thesaurus right when looking for a bigbrain word

qv9zlbmf4szz.jpg

11 minutes ago, Avacyn said:

t. brainlet who didn't use the thesaurus right when looking for a bigbrain word

qv9zlbmf4szz.jpg

t. googles reaction images and appropriates nu-chanspeak to look tough on a minecraft forum

14NFFsc.png

Edited by tavern_roleplay

I see alot of weird responses to this.

I like this idea, because, and I say this with full knowledge of being a hypocrite for it, that magic users tend to have the high ground in terms of dealing with some of the more fantastical threats that exist in the lotc world.

I enjoy that this can help even the playing field slightly between someone who's top tier magic goon 55 and someone trying to avoid magics.

Yeah magic goons would inevitably end up using them on weapons as well, but this also opens rp outlets such as collecting and selling said materials for the ideas listed out.

Good job man. This is neat. It'll be a funky work in to adapt to but its levels the playing field without having to individually nerf every single magic, but hand normal denizens of the server a way to handle the more unique threats.

Deep within the halls of Redmarch's Hexicanum, a brutish Adunian sits next to an anvil, daftly swinging a hammer as to work the raw metal of an unrefined blade. An elderly man would stand over him, a fox chain medallion dangling from his neck, and a lengthy stick in his grip.

For every blind swing, the elder man would hit the large Adunian with the stick, yet for each thought-out, dexterously-brutal strike, the old man would whisper secrets. Secrets of the old ways of the beastsmiths.

((me likey. Well thought out, not too OP low-fantasy lore that can give mundane swordmasters some extra lore to expand into.))

Edited by Joltastic

Thank you for submitting your piece! This is now under review and you can expect a verdict in two weeks or so. Votes have slowed due to holidays, 6.0 release, and finals/Winter Break and they will resume back to their normal pace of 1 week once things have settled down, I apologize for the inconvenience.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon.

This lore has been suspended/shelved. Contact an ST Manager or the ST Administrator for any questions or concerns.