Xarkly

Atlas Economy Discussion & Ideas

I get everything I need myself because I can. It is easier to do that than find someone to do it for me and pay them. Getting rid of Nexus completely was a bad idea. There were issues with Nexus, it fucked up combat and it forced people to grind, but it allowed a lot of cool and unique stuff to get made. It also forced people to choose what they wanted to do. If I wanted to be a blacksmith and mine my own ores, I would have to take two professions and shut myself out of doing anything else with that character. That was a really good part of Nexus was that it forced people to adopt certain jobs. The biggest downside of it, though, was that it encouraged OOC grinding. We need some medium between the two because no amount of economy-fixing is going to stop me from doing everything by myself if I can because it is more efficient than hiring people.

tl;dr, If you want an immediate economy fix, make it so people flat-out can't do everything themselves, but prepare for community backlash.

On 12/23/2017 at 5:10 PM, Hiebe said:

What did you expect when there are no skills and everyone can do everything. 

pretty much this

As someone who joined just as Atlas popped up and wasn't here to experience the Professions plugin (called Nexus, it seems?), I'm actually pretty disappointed that it's not around anymore. It seemed really neat and thought out, and I even read up on it in the wiki (while it was still there), only to find out afterward that it had been removed entirely, which honestly made me a little less excited to play on the server.

I had asked in game why it was removed, and the answer seems to be the general consensus with everyone; it was too grindy. But come on, it seems very hasty and wasteful to scrap a perfectly good, and incredibly beneficial plugin just because of a single issue, rather than give a go at fixing it up.

It had so many neat features I wanted to try;

- Crafting stations that allowed you to craft certain objects

- Timers when crafting certain things (which gives that item more value as you're made to wait rather than spam crafting)

- Recipes for items you otherwise could not craft in vanilla

- Unique craftable melee and ranged weaponry which added vast variety from the mundane vanilla minecraft sword and bow

- A whole lot of unique traits for each profession that gave farming, fishing, etc. a bit more variety and spice

- Etc!

All those features, gone... and if I'm to be honest, it only makes LOTC worse for it and less unique. Give the plugin another try. Get some staff members together and collectively mull over some ideas to fix what made it bad, and make it even better! As it was said before, the community at large will backlash the return of professions, and that's because it limits their perceived freedom of what they can do, which is more or less everything. However, allowing everyone to be a jack of all trades isn't healthy for the economy because why would you buy a damn thing from anyone if you can just do it yourself? It also doesn't make sense from a roleplay standpoint. Realistically, everyone is not capable of everything. People have specializations.

TLDR; Professions/Nexus was a really cool and beneficial plugin, think of a way to bring it back. Don't give everyone the ability to do everything. It's unhealthy for the economy because no one has a reason to buy things (besides laziness or lack of time). There will be backlash; do it anyway.

Edited by Tressym

I'm in full agreement with this post, although nexus had it's downfalls it turned lotc into more than a roleplaying server. I stimulated communications between not only players but also empires and i fully support bringing something similiar back into LotC. It also gave people something to do when they felt like playing LotC at 4 am when nobody is on. No rp? grind your nexus skills, make money, stock up. I feel like bringing a slight amount of realism back to LotC is completely healthy for the server.

LotC will never have a good economy. People don't want to work a 9-5 job to build a house on LotC. Mechanical limitations do not support RP ever, they force people to spend time playing the mechanical game instead of Rping. Terrible idea.

I really agree that it should be brought back! I mean when I came back to the server and it was gone I was really bummed. It totally got rid of even bothering to pretend that people have jobs, you can just go do it yourself! It also got rid of a massive part of the "realistic" roleplaying that some, at least I, played for. I really hope the staff realizes that it was a large and necessary part of the server, and should be re-implemented into the server.