[Shelved][✓] Clerical Ward Amendment Proposal

GodEmperorFlam

Clerical Ward Amendment

There’s been a number of feedback posts on them so I got off my butt and typed up a change so that they're no longer walls that block out spooks and act more as a defensive means to weaken those who are attacking within the area. No more needing to *yelp. upon entering either. credits to swgr for the 50% thing.

Clerical Wards: Instead of causing temporary mental harm to those who walk through it, wards now cause dark magic to wane in strength, causing any dark magic user to exert 50% more effort in forming a spell. This translates into the dark mage taking longer to weave their spell within the warded area. Similarly, creatures and constructs averse to holy magic will find themselves physically weakened should they have had unnatural strength, on par with the average man within the holy energy.

Ward Gems: Gems meant to regulate the output of Clerical energy that makes up the ward. These gems help keep the ward at full strength for the full week they are active for before requiring a recharge. Without a gem, wards can still be made, but will deteriorate and fall apart after a day as there is nothing to keep the mass amount of energy from spilling out from the designated area. Only a small gem (e.g. the size of your fist) is needed for the first two tiers of wards, but a block sized gem is required for the larger variations. Edit: these are the gems https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/165470-✓-light-stones/

Ward Size:
Tier 1
Create a ward the size of a 3 block radius.

Tier 2
Create a ward the size of a 5 block radius.

Tier 3 - Requires 2 clerics.
Create a ward the size of a 20 block radius.

Tier 4 - Requires 3 clerics.
Create a ward the size of a 50 block radius.

Tier 5 - Requires 5 clerics.
Create a ward the size of a 100 block radius.

Ward Amount: Much akin to the Ascended who have their brazier limits, the clerics are also limited to having 3 wards in total that they are able to have aided in. So one cleric can at most help in the creation of 3 wards, regardless of the size.

Ward Destruction:

• SotA and Anti-Magic is capable of neutralizing the effects of the ward in its bubbled space, along with fully draining the gem if they use their magic on it.
  • Concentrated dark magic, such as a pool of amber or patch of taint, when left anywhere within the ward area and kept fueled will begin to drain the holy energy from the ward. One off spells will have no effect. It will take 5 minutes to properly drain a ward that is regulated by the gem, or 1 minute if it's a gemless ward.
  • Smashing the gem, whether it be with magic or mundane means, will result in the ward failing over the course of the day. A new gem may be acquired, but a new ward spell will also need to be weaved into it.

Red Lines

• Wards require a recharge every week.
  • If a creature or construct has a weakness to holy magic, it falls under the physical weakness aspect of it.
  • Signs detailing who created the ward are needed at the beginning of it, along with detailing the effects of said ward.

Yes I like this, you saved me this time Flam. 

Though can I ask what counts as a crystal.

How will Fi affect these wards?

Just now, TitanOfTheDepths said:

How will Fi affect these wards?

Fi' does as it always has and would neutralize the energy in the area that it is effected. I'd imagine that it needs to reach the crystal to kill off the ward entirely. I'm not a Fi' expert though so I'unno. However it effects abyss seeds and Ascended braziers is how it'd effect this, basically.

5 minutes ago, Nekkore said:

Yes I like this, you saved me this time Flam. 

Though can I ask what counts as a crystal.

Edited!

I overall like it, although if you wished to further limit the amount of warding, make a specific note that a cleric can only make one ward themselves as the primary, and aid in two others?

other than that I think its cool, as a guard and new cleric I think it will help rp tremendously not having an oh **** you, we know you're a spook line literally drawn in the sand. At least with this, you can play it off as a sudden wave of weariness from your travels or something if the physical drain is even that serve that is. 

+1

this is a pretty huge buff for a sub-100 word addition with no other changes

it goes from effecting only undead to effecting all dark magics + covering a large radius?

Just now, Ambduscias said:

it goes from effecting only undead to effecting all dark magics + covering a large radius?

wards already have the potential to cover a bigger radius + it effected more than undead. The "buff" is adapting it into the defensive thing which reflects clerical magic. Abyss seeds hinder all deific magic and ascended braziers protect the souls from all dark stuff. Clerical magic in particular is made to purge the impure, no reason why it wouldn't be able to do any of the above.

4 minutes ago, Ambduscias said:

Incorrect, dark magics would previously be fully dispelled and the radius was already potentially huge enough to cover a 'small village' as stated in the lore. People just intentionally under-roleplayed those bits cause it's pretty unfair, I'm sure.

Edit: Also it would effect any 'dark' entity previously, not just undead.

22 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

Maybe specify size of the crystal and it could be that it's made from lightstones?

Lightstones were added in, going to specify the sizes in the next edit. Thanks for the recommendation!

2 minutes ago, The Pink Lion said:

wards already have the potential to cover a bigger radius + it effected more than undead. The "buff" is adapting it into the defensive thing which reflects clerical magic. Abyss seeds hinder all deific magic and ascended braziers protect the souls from all dark stuff. Clerical magic in particular is made to purge the impure, no reason why it wouldn't be able to do any of the above.

abcabc

To be fair there's a striking difference between abyss seeds (something that's never been used) and Cleric Wards, which exist in literally every minor town. I get what you mean, but previously there was no mention (from what I've seen/read) of it dispelling/blocking things like Shade/Necromancy in it's area, just exclusively causing agony (which would interrupt casting) if they were undead. I don't think it's crazy strong, just that it's a big jump for an already strong magic.

Just now, Ambduscias said:

To be fair there's a striking difference between abyss seeds (something that's never been used) and Cleric Wards, which exist in literally every minor town. I get what you mean, but previously there was no mention (from what I've seen/read) of it dispelling/blocking things like Shade/Necromancy in it's area, just exclusively causing agony (which would interrupt casting) if they were undead. I don't think it's crazy strong, just that it's a big jump for an already strong magic.

Abyss seeds are used, pre-transition there was one planted on the Sutica gate area after some folks wrecked the ward there lol. And I think you're overestimating the amount of places that had wards (most human towns didn't have them, orcs didn't, dwarves didn't, lots of elven split offs didn't, etc.). Although, I do agree with limiting them which is why I put a cap on this iteration. From my understanding they don't do what gladuos said, at least, not from the lore it doesn't.

As for the big jump, I have to disagree there. Lots of spooks were complaining that they couldn't even enter a warded area due to having to scream out in pain, which worked as a way to identify and then purge the spook. With this, it remains true to the theme of clerical magic hindering dark things, along with allowing spooks to enter the area and not get metagamed/killed on sight. Hindering is not as bad as outright blocking a playerbase from entering outside of when a raid was going down or they were ready to fight people who say them yell. Or at least, that's my view on the matter.

I'm open to suggestions on changes, so if you have any feel free to poke me over discord w/ them.

Blessed be! Thanks a ton Flam.

this is dumb

there should be a price to pay and gm moderation needed to make these op wards like say a stack of gold blocks and a gm sign of approval