[Shelved]Afflicted - The Second Coming

Skylez

Can someone with an externally warped soul (ie an Archon) become Afflicted? If so, that sounds horribly problematic.

21 minutes ago, ShameJax said:

Can someone with an externally warped soul (ie an Archon) become Afflicted? If so, that sounds horribly problematic.

Good question

If Archons can become corrupted than I do not know why they could not use something such as this, something that is partly based on liquid mana as well that Archons still possess full blown souls, though a small sliver or section of it is different from the common soul, which in turn grants them the transcendent form, so forth. This also just feasts on the passive mana a soul procures.

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/166961-✓-archon-addition-vulnerability-of-the-voidscarred/

Of course they would still have all the weaknesses being an Archon entails (E.g susceptible to Fi', so forth, etc.)

I would say that they can only utilize the Affliction whenever they are in their coil forms.

That being said I do not believe those that possess soul shadows could use the Affliction, such as undead.

Descendants are the ideal bearers of the symbiosis used here.  

Ascended gang like this ****, and liked the old lore, gave us stuff to beat up, who knows this time around i could play one.

10 minutes ago, Skylez1 said:

Good question

If Archons can become corrupted than I do not know why they could not use something such as this, something that is partly based on liquid mana as well that Archons still possess full blown souls, though a small sliver or section of it is different from the common soul, which in turn grants them the transcendent form, so forth. This also just feasts on the passive mana a soul procures.

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/166961-✓-archon-addition-vulnerability-of-the-voidscarred/

Of course they would still have all the weaknesses being an Archon entails (E.g susceptible to Fi', so forth, etc.)

I would say that they can only utilize the Affliction whenever they are in their coil forms.

That being said I do not believe those that possess soul shadows could use the Affliction, such as undead.

Descendants are the ideal bearers of the symbiosis used here.  

I can think of hordes of reasons as to why they couldn't. Such as the disease affecting the soul, you're surely aware that Archons are unable to become Shades - the same principle applies. Being corrupted is different than being diseased to the very soul. Or perhaps that their physical composition is quite different when compared to a descendant, or perhaps that the greater weakness that Archons have when compared to mages causes this to provide too much strain, or perhaps that as their bodies simply deteriorate from a lack of upkeep rather than death - they would be unaffected by such an illness. But that's all irrelevant, the reasoning behind it becoming Further Alchemy rather than a creature and why they no longer face magical drawbacks has an intent, that I may be wrong about, but is rather clear. You wish for your Archon to become Afflicted, do you not?

Many pieces of lore have perfectly valid explanations, but aren't allowed due to balancing purposes. I'm sure I'm not the only person who sees issue with a sword arm body morphing man who also happens to be near perfectly attuned to the Void turning into mist and shooting off missiles from 30 meters. This is nothing against you, but I simply don't see that being balanced.

Other than that I do quite like the lore. Particularly the addition of the longer-lasting body modifications. It adds another element to alchemy, a long forgotten element on the server.

47 minutes ago, ShameJax said:

I can think of hordes of reasons as to why they couldn't. Such as the disease affecting the soul, you're surely aware that Archons are unable to become Shades - the same principle applies. Being corrupted is different than being diseased to the very soul. Or perhaps that their physical composition is quite different when compared to a descendant, or perhaps that the greater weakness that Archons have when compared to mages causes this to provide too much strain, or perhaps that as their bodies simply deteriorate from a lack of upkeep rather than death - they would be unaffected by such an illness. But that's all irrelevant, the reasoning behind it becoming Further Alchemy rather than a creature and why they no longer face magical drawbacks has an intent, that I may be wrong about, but is rather clear. You wish for your Archon to become Afflicted, do you not?

Many pieces of lore have perfectly valid explanations, but aren't allowed due to balancing purposes. I'm sure I'm not the only person who sees issue with a sword arm body morphing man who also happens to be near perfectly attuned to the Void turning into mist and shooting off missiles from 30 meters. This is nothing against you, but I simply don't see that being balanced.

Other than that I do quite like the lore. Particularly the addition of the longer-lasting body modifications. It adds another element to alchemy, a long forgotten element on the server.

This isn't Shade nor is it close to it- this is symbiosis, the shroud merely feasts off the mana that passively generates from one's soul to sustain itself.

A Shade parasite fuses with the psyche and that's what causes it to fail when it tries to mend with an Archon's soul.

I don't know where the lore states Archons have diseased souls, but rather a fragment of it is scarred by the veil/void, much alike to a wound that would never truly heal. From my understanding the mortal coil of an Archon is almost quite exact when compared with a regular descendant.

The reason this becoming Further Alchemy is to open it up to a greater amount of players, rather than having it locked behind a Creature which can be harder to obtain. I'd like to think I made a good effort at making sure of that, it can be self-taught, enhancements are not locked to Afflicted nor are creating the Anomalous, event creatures. I elected to go an inherently neutral route with this iteration and as such that is why dark and deific magics are blocked off for those that have the Affliction, there still is magical drawbacks. This is not self-serving lore, it is made to grant more depth to alchemy and alchemists. 

I don't see your point behind the whole balancing issue you believe is there. Why would a mage or Archon for that matter wish to get involved in close combat when they know they would be likely outdone rather easily. (Do remember, Afflicted are no stronger/smarter, etc, than those not) 

Someone that relies on martial skill could overcome a mage type character if they do not keep their range, and the same applies here.

This is not to mention that formed weaponry are no greater than there normal counterparts, the only thing truly different is aesthetic. 

4 minutes ago, Skylez1 said:

This isn't Shade nor is it close to it- this is symbiosis, the shroud merely feasts off the mana that passively generates from one's soul to sustain itself.

A Shade parasite fuses with the psyche and that's what causes it to fail when it tries to mend with an Archon's soul.

I don't know where the lore states Archons have diseased souls, but rather a fragment of it is scarred by the veil/void, much alike to a wound that would never truly heal. From my understanding the mortal coil of an Archon is almost quite exact when compared with a regular descendant.

The reason this becoming Further Alchemy is to open it up to a greater amount of players, rather than having it locked behind a Creature which can be harder to obtain. I'd like to think I made a good effort at making sure of that, it can be self-taught, enhancements are not locked to Afflicted nor are creating the Anomalous, event creatures. I elected to go an inherently neutral route with this iteration and as such that is why dark and deific magics are blocked off for those that have the Affliction, there still is magical drawbacks. This is not self-serving lore, it is made to grant more depth to alchemy and alchemists. 

I don't see your point behind the whole balancing issue you believe is there. Why would a mage or Archon for that matter wish to get involved in close combat when they know they would be likely outdone rather easily. (Do remember, Afflicted are no stronger/smarter, etc, than those not) 

Someone that relies on martial skill could overcome a mage type character if they do not keep their range, and the same applies here.

This is not to mention that formed weaponry are no greater than there normal counterparts, the only thing truly different is aesthetic. 

That is incredibly similar to a Shade. The primary difference is that a Shade attempts to take control of the body, while this does not. That does not mean that they are both something attaching to the soul. This lore states that it interwine's with one's soul, exactly the same as Shade fusing with the soul. I had never stated that Archons have diseased souls, rather I'm speaking about these beings - at least my interpretation with it is that when there is an external entity using the Soul it is, to an extent, diseased. And yes, the Coil is very similar to that of a descendant; however there are some noticeable differences. I was simply stating possible examples as to why it couldn't.

I'm not accusing this of being self serving lore, I want to make that completely clear. I'm speaking of magical drawbacks that are explicitly voidal, or may affect something like an Archon. Not something that may affect a Keeper. I like the lore, however it is simply not balanced to allow for someone to manifest their limbs as they please while also being a mist man. It is very different than normal weaponry, as one can change and control these changed things as they please. If you'd like to make an addition that those who are Afflicted and also have an altered soul via other means would struggle more to do these non-mundane things in combat then it would be balanced, however as it is now it isn't purely aesthetic. I mean, even one of your photos show a guy with basically tendrils. May be taking an incorrect interpretation out of that, however. The lore is good, it just isn't balanced to have a limb manipulating tendril wielding mist man.

2 minutes ago, ShameJax said:

while also being a mist man

last i checked the lore doesnt allow you to manifest this **** in mist man form, where you get the big spell improvements

Just now, The Fire Mind said:

last i checked the lore doesnt allow you to manifest this **** in mist man form, where you get the big spell improvements

Not the issue. The issue is that one character can do all of that. That's just like letting there be a character that has an Archon form, Keeper form, and Wraith form.

3 minutes ago, ShameJax said:

The primary difference is that a Shade attempts to take control of the body, while this does not.

Also the fact that the shade will fuse with the soul, while this one hangs around to get the sloppy seconds juicy mana

1 minute ago, The Fire Mind said:

Also the fact that the shade will fuse with the soul, while this one hangs around to get the sloppy seconds juicy mana

f55b2812c3b62cd30bc52488080321f7.png

Does say it intertwines. Again these are just examples of reasoning, the primary issue is balancing.

1 minute ago, ShameJax said:

Not the issue. The issue is that one character can do all of that. That's just like letting there be a character that has an Archon form, Keeper form, and Wraith form.

Or getting a swordsman, blacksmith, alchemist, fletcher. If it can do it, it can do it, I could care less. So long as it can't use it in mistman mode, it's fine, and so long as they rp the weakness from using magic, I can live with it

1 minute ago, ShameJax said:

f55b2812c3b62cd30bc52488080321f7.png

I overlooked this, editing now, appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Skylez1 said:

I overlooked this, editing now, appreciated.

Figured it was more of a semantics thing, but stuff like that causes issues!

Also response to @The Fire Mind this is very different than just being able to make these things prior to combat. Being able to create and control these things on a whim is very different. There's a distinct slippery slope with setting precedents like that.

WE WUZ AFFLICTED N ****