Thanhic Alloys

Wretched

Quick Preface: Thanhic alloys have been a small, minimally used thing for a while. Specifically during the Anthos antagonist, Harbingers had Thanhic alloy weapons/armour for a while. An outdated lore piece did actually implement the alloy for a while, but was shelved when new Wraith lore came out that encompassed Harbingers within it, thus that segment of lore was lost. Seen Here:

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/139645-lore-rerevison-harbinger-theory/

This lore hopes to clarify the limitations, the possibilities and the power of Thanhic Alloys. This document is an OOC lore proposal, if accepted, the method of making these weapons must either be discovered in RP, or self-taught by characters that consider themselves adept in Thanhium.

Thanhic Alloys

BB64s2D.png

Thanhium’s nature is both delicate and volatile, to shape it into anything has never possible until scholars of the unusual substance developed a means to do so. Through great sacrifice and time consuming effort, did they discover a precise procedure that allowed for the creation of weapons like no other. Such a weapon, would prove a particularly powerful menace to those magically orientated, thus is born the ultimate mage hunter’s weapon: The Thanhic Sword.

(For details on the properties of Thanhium, see here:

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/142474-thanhium/ )

While a shard of Thanhium can make for an easy weapon, it is toxic, and prone to collapse/detonate if its environmental requirements are not met. On top of this it could only be used once before shattering into dust, harming anyone nearby. For this reason, shards of Thanhium alone do not make for effective weapons.

The Process:

It should first be noted, that the process to creating thanhic weapons has a significant chance to fail. It is a long, laborious task that is exceedingly dangerous at every step, and without protective measures anyone attempting to complete this process would surely perish to poisoning before it ended.

Step 1:

First, acquire the necessary materials and devices:

• An iron sieve (A hopper).
  • An anvil.
  • 2 blocks of Thanhium for forging (lapis).
  • 4 blocks of Thanhium for temperature/humidity control.
  • 2 ferrum ingots (iron).
  • A Cauldron with water.
  • A Crusher mechanism (dispenser)
  • A large furnace.
  • A small bowl (flower pot)

The end result should look something like this, but need not be exactly the same:

HeTuKBe.png

Step 2:

After those have been acquired, the second step is to create the environmental circumstances that allow for the process to take place, and that is to bring pure Thanhic crystals into the room to reduce its temperature to the point where frost begins to form. The furnace should be extinguished whenever not in use to allow this to happen. This reduces the room’s humidity to the point where the Thanhium is essentially, replicating its own natural habitat – under these conditions it is far less prone to detonate or otherwise react unexpectedly.

Step 3:

Small amounts of Thanhium should then be fed into the crushing mechanism, which will then pour its content into the iron sieve. The aim here is to create as fine a powder as possible, as even small chunks can congeal together and explode. The sieve should be emptied out after every use, as frost will form from residue thanhium and block it up.

Step 4:

Melt down the Ferrum ingots to fill a mould, for example a blade mould.  Sprinkle the fine thanhic dust into the mould while the metal remains in liquid form. Be warned, if any chunks enter the mould, it will immediately detonate, and send fiery hot metal splashing across the room. Let the metal cool naturally.

Step 5:

Repeat steps 3 and 4 for four days, at which point the blade will become imbued with the maximum amount of thanhium without effecting its durability. Attempting to deposit all Thanhium at once into the blade would result in immediate detonation – the thanhium must be fed in small doses to prevent it from congealing back into explosive crystals.

Step 6:

Reheat the sword for the last time and begin to shape it into its desired shape with a hammer. Be warned: this is the final test, if everything went to plan then you should be able to shape the sword, give it an edge, then attach whatever hilt and pommel you desire after cooling it in the cauldron of water. However, should any of these steps have been neglected, or by chance measurements were wrong, then all it will take is a swing of a hammer to cause the sword to explode upon impact.

(For the final step, you must do /roll 20. Rolling 5 or under will detonate the sword, and you must start the process again. It is recommended you have a witness/staff member watching for the final step as confirmation.)

(The forging takes four IRL days. RP of the forging must be provided in screenshot form as well as the end /roll 20 result, and must be timestamped (do /date ingame and take the screenshot then) before being submitted to a Lore Master, who will get the weapon renamed, enchanted with unbreaking 2, and signed after the process is complete.)

Properties of Thanhic Alloy:

• Cutting/stabbing anything will deliver to them almost instant Thanhic poisoning, making it particularly effective against mages. See poisoning effects here: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/150268-addition-thanhium-properties/
  • The blade remains incredibly durable, even more so than regular Ferrum swords.

• The blade is freezing to the touch and a soft mist would be seen falling from the blade.

• It is safe to touch the flat edge of the blade for a short amount of time, but any cut would induce Thanhic poisoning

• You can turn the alloy into a set of armour, but it would require significant padding in order to prevent the metal’s contact with the skin, and to insulate you from the cold it would produce. As an armour, it would be particularly resilient against spells, the specifics of which can be seen here: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/150268-addition-thanhium-properties/. And if turning it into an armour, the ratio of ferrum and thanhium remains the same. (So a sword is 2 iron, 2 thanhium. A chestpiece would be 8 iron, 8 thanhium, etc.) only one piece of armour can be made at a time.

Red lines:

• You must learn this process from someone, or discover it yourself if your character is considered to be an expert in Thanhium – LMs may ask for evidence of this at their own discretion.
  • Only one sword can be made by one person at a time. Mass producing these weapons would reduce the precision with which they are made, and would detonate upon completion.
  • You do not have to consecutively complete part of the process everyday, you can have gaps. For example, it might take a week if you only worked on it for 4/7 days.
Edited by Benbo (Wretched)

beat me to it benboboy. What about the cold fire method pandan and I used? Is that still viable? (Using thanhic shavings to make cold fire and using that to fuse thanhium and whatever material to make the alloy).  

4 minutes ago, The Fire Mind said:

beat me to it benboboy. What about the cold fire method pandan and I used? Is that still viable? (Using thanhic shavings to make cold fire and using that to fuse thanhium and whatever material to make the alloy).  

That was the original unspoken way, as harbingers used frostfire to forge it. So that method was the way of creating frostfire without being a harbinger. This lore aims to make the process more accessible since frostfire is long gone.

1 minute ago, Benbo (Wretched) said:

That was the original unspoken way, as harbingers used frostfire to forge it. So that method was the way of creating frostfire without being a harbinger. This lore aims to make the process more accessible since frostfire is long gone.

Understandable, but given this piece, could it still be used? Should it be passed?

5 minutes ago, The Fire Mind said:

Understandable, but given this piece, could it still be used? Should it be passed?

Entirely up to you LMs, personally I'd limit it to just this way and have whoever was using the old way figure out that it's easier to do it like this. Otherwise, becomes more of a challenge to moderate it.

+1

>loses axios to thahnium

>makes more thahnic stuff

Still great lore, though, +1

Geez Ive been making these blades quite some time now, infusing thanic dust into the metal while it heats, but this lore is so much more +1

Only issue is carb doesnt exist anymore.

5 minutes ago, Taketheshot said:

Geez Ive been making these blades quite some time now, infusing thanic dust into the metal while it heats, but this lore is so much more +1

Only issue is carb doesnt exist anymore.

Idea was that completing the process would get the resources taken, and the item given by a staff member. If LMs/Staff dont think that's possible, would be happy to change it to iron instead of diamond. I just want the sword to be blue lmao.

6 minutes ago, Benbo (Wretched) said:

Idea was that completing the process would get the resources taken, and the item given by a staff member. If LMs/Staff dont think that's possible, would be happy to change it to iron instead of diamond. I just want the sword to be blue lmao.

I agree but diamond stuff removed was at an admin level, perhaps go for steel with a blue hue maybe?

Pretty cool. I like more smithing and mineral lores, even if they're just interesting alloys that have already existed before.

I knew of the existance of these since long ago when you told me or i saw at a book at the library. I've been looking this for ages. Does this makes me eligible for self-teaching?

11 minutes ago, Man of Respect said:

I knew of the existance of these since long ago when you told me or i saw at a book at the library. I've been looking this for ages. Does this makes me eligible for self-teaching?

As long as your character knows enough about metals and thanhium, sure

@Benbo (Wretched) if all thahnium blades created were given the same name, custom textures could be applied under this name through a server pack. This would mean staff could stick to iron blades but still have a thahnium looking item.