[Shelved][Magic] [Thallassos Addition] The Drowned

Avacyn

Intended to replace the LT-approved addition to my lore that enabled uncontrolled connection and teaching among Thallassians, the Drowned will also serve as an almost entirely aesthetic ‘endgame’ to Ketomancy roleplayers who want to commit their character to the magic.

The Drowned

BbGMfBAZHgm99u9ruBZsuELGeOthRG5CdqRxqurtC0W-n38Y71GwDzl6Ig7_c1Gtq4IqHMgUwpbMlQQ_BB6ChfSY-Y1ZpOwgSsAKCa3kv4bZqH47JXQmPCv166mriHIErtMlrct2

“You do not drown by falling into the ocean: you drown by staying there.” - Old Craetaein adage

Murky is the water the Thallassian treads. Lovers of the sea and all things within it, they yet remain shorefolk: landwalkers in life and spirit. For Nerea, this does not do to see in her prized singers. To give the blessing of the ocean to others, one must embrace it in body, blood, and heart. To truly understand such as she does, one must Drown.

Drowning is not death. It is rebirth for those who undertake it, a second chance at a new life as one of the waves. To Drown is to give yourself entirely to Nerea and the sea you serve, and become one with them entirely. In order to do so, a few key things must be accomplished:

The Drowner must be an expert Thallassian and have learned all the hymns.

The Drowner must be fed the Brine produced by another Drowned.

Would-be Drowners are placed in a sarcophagus or some sort of container to hold their entire body and which can be sealed tight to prevent escape. It is usually wrapped in chains or other bindings to help keep the prison secure and to weigh it down. Once the Drowner is laid within for their final rest as a shorewalker, they are closed within and then lowered down by chain into a Mouth. A Mouth is simply the Thallassian’s term for a cavernous, secluded body of water that Nerea has connected to her home in the Black Depths. The descent is quick, and so is death. Drowning is not a peaceful death, however: tumultuous and violent, yet just like the ocean itself it bears resplendent life within. As the saltwater fills their lungs and breath leaves them in choking gasps, Nerea’s tender embrace grips them and they are forever changed by her magic. The coffin is pulled from the deep and dredged onto dry land once more, and so the Drowned emerges into the world. They are christened with a new title reflective of their personage. ‘The Drowned Sentinel’, for example.

ZAglGQ11Ocgu8vKmnr1s_aHUXOzaxC5DHlsXYEDi7hvPdv-i1QfOD1-v2o4dOQclrSF6Mc9FWEEKHakvfKQpUH8mSOql3TmKfhpT_GD_iJtw4cTGxr3JtNROms8n1keXIsUV8bXq

Changed irrevocably, they gain the complexion of a sunken corpse with a somewhat surreal beauty: pallid flesh and milky eyes forever mark their body along with a shift of their hair colour towards marine tones of green and greyish-blue. Curiously, their hair itself seems to be in a constant state of ethereal drift, shifting and swimming about sluggishly as if it were always underwater. Beyond this, there are three key and distinct boons gained from the Drowning.

Drowned are able to breathe underwater. They may still be choked, suffocated, asphyxiated, but water is no longer a hindrance.

Drowned’s bodies no longer bear any blood, and instead Brine flows through their veins. They do not need to concentrate on using the Pelagia to turn their blood into Brine. This grants a second, stranger effect to the Drowned: Their mutations induced upon themselves through Anagennos no longer have any duration.

Drowned are able to create and implant Pelagia just as Nerea is. They are also able to strip another of their Pelagia by simply unmending the sutures and removing the coral heart.

Additionally, two key weaknesses are earned through the transformation.

Drowned are susceptible to magics that target impurities and imperfections in the soul.

Drowned are susceptible to great harm via radical changes in body temperature. Their watery lifeblood can be frozen or boiled with more ease than a blooded being.

Redlines:

- Drowned require a CA to play.

- Thallassos TA’s necessitate the teacher being Drowned to be valid. They are unable to connect anyone otherwise and cannot be teaching.

- Drowned are not any more durable, strong, or even physically weak than they would be otherwise.

- Drowned are not undead. Their souls are in a warped state of being induced by Nerea.

- Drowned cannot coincide with any other creature types/soul twisting magics. Fjarriauga, Wraiths, Wights, Shades are all examples of this.

- Drowned are thusly harmed by Ascended and Clerical magics.

Mystical and magical! This would be a great addition to the lore, even though I may not be able to participate, I feel this will help solve problems that might arise in the future!

1 hour ago, Avacyn said:

Intended to replace the unconsented LT-made addition to my lore that enabled uncontrolled connection and teaching among Thallassians, the Drowned will also serve as an almost entirely aesthetic ‘endgame’ to Ketomancy roleplayers who want to commit their character to the magic.

:thinking: but the LT didn't make the addition, the thallassos community did because you left the server leaving it impossible to spread thallassos. Don't try to pin things on us when you're the one who made the mess in the first place.

Sorry! Just had to assume it was made by the LT since it was never posted or submitted in a public place and the topic was just edited as so:

748eb005456cac7cff4733dc5a0fe929.png

I'll edit the initial post now.

As one of the few active thallassians, I wholly approve of this. I like the idea of bringing stability back to the magic.

I'm very back and forth on the additions itself. As per everything you right, it is well written, balanced, and interesting. The only problem I honestly have is more of an overall lore issue, I suppose. I don't really think every magic needs an endgame, and I don't think every magic requires consistent additions. But considering this was made with the intent of clearing up an addition made by the LT that was apparently poorly done, I suppose the second point really doesn't matter. Also, I know of two practicing Thallassos users, one of which leaves me questioning whether or not the magic is being handled properly, so until the magic is properly spread, are more additions necessary?

This isn't like any shade thrown at you, I think it's well written and super interesting and if the magic is being handled properly, it would probably be an amazing addition to the server. I guess I would like to be convinced it's wholly necessary? Not that I need to be convinced, I'm a normal pleb, not an LT. It would just put muh poor soul at ease, I suppose.

8 minutes ago, Skale said:

I'm very back and forth on the additions itself. As per everything you right, it is well written, balanced, and interesting. The only problem I honestly have is more of an overall lore issue, I suppose. I don't really think every magic needs an endgame, and I don't think every magic requires consistent additions. But considering this was made with the intent of clearing up an addition made by the LT that was apparently poorly done, I suppose the second point really doesn't matter. Also, I know of two practicing Thallassos users, one of which leaves me questioning whether or not the magic is being handled properly, so until the magic is properly spread, are more additions necessary?

This isn't like any shade thrown at you, I think it's well written and super interesting and if the magic is being handled properly, it would probably be an amazing addition to the server. I guess I would like to be convinced it's wholly necessary? Not that I need to be convinced, I'm a normal pleb, not an LT. It would just put muh poor soul at ease, I suppose.

Totally legitimate concerns/questions posed here.

At the moment, I don't feel secure at all in the magic's current playerbase and this is a step in stabilizing so I can better build and establish a functional group that I'm confident will be able to go forward and keep the magic going in the proper spirit I intended once I'm ready to push it out of my hands. As it stands, I departed in  the magic's infancy, and never got beyond teaching anybody T2-T3 and developing the roleplay I wanted to with the students which is definitely something I made a mistake in doing. This is also something I wanted to include rather quickly after the magic was posted: the character I played and taught people on already looked this way and I want to chisel that element of RP into stone. As for the 'endgame' dilemma, I don't find it much of a problematic endgame, more of an aesthetic reward to people who commit their characters to the heart and soul of what the magic's about, because that's something I take as a personal philosophy with magic/endgame RP. People should be committed when they step into learning something like this, and not treat magic and endgames like sweets at a candy shop. Hope that's sufficient.

3 minutes ago, Avacyn said:

Totally legitimate concerns/questions posed here.

At the moment, I don't feel secure at all in the magic's current playerbase and this is a step in stabilizing so I can better build and establish a functional group that I'm confident will be able to go forward and keep the magic going in the proper spirit I intended once I'm ready to push it out of my hands. As it stands, I departed in  the magic's infancy, and never got beyond teaching anybody T2-T3 and developing the roleplay I wanted to with the students which is definitely something I made a mistake in doing. This is also something I wanted to include rather quickly after the magic was posted: the character I played and taught people on already looked this way and I want to chisel that element of RP into stone. As for the 'endgame' dilemma, I don't find it much of a problematic endgame, more of an aesthetic reward to people who commit their characters to the heart and soul of what the magic's about, because that's something I take as a personal philosophy with magic/endgame RP. People should be committed when they step into learning something like this, and not treat magic and endgames like sweets at a candy shop. Hope that's sufficient.

Indeed it is sufficient. I appreciate you taking your time to explain the thought process to me and help me understand your goal with the addition. As far as I'm concerned, more than enough for me.

+1

5 minutes ago, PurpleCola said:

i am prepared to become a drowned corpse

p.s im probably reading this wrong but it says that a drowned must give their brine to a thallassos mage in order for the, to become drowned. what about those with ta's already made?

also +1 @Avacyn

p.p.s it also seems like this could restrict the magic being spread

P.S. : Yes, it would mean you'd have to be made re-eligible for teaching if you had a TA up!
P.P.S. : Yes, that's the point for the time being. The intention was never to spread it like herpes.

I will say that I do think existing Teachers should at least have the opportunity to become a Drowned.

We had to make do when you left, and idk what your end goal with the magic is, but we did work to make things fit in your absence and I don't think that all should just be undone now that you're back.

The lore itself is nice, and I like the idea as a whole, past my main concern.

3 minutes ago, Aelu / Rel (Combustionary) said:

I will say that I do think existing Teachers should at least have the opportunity to become a Drowned.

We had to make do when you left, and idk what your end goal with the magic is, but we did work to make things fit in your absence and I don't think that all should just be undone now that you're back.

The lore itself is nice, and I like the idea as a whole, past my main concern.

Never stated the opportunity wouldn't be given, that's the opposite of the intention, actually. Not aiming to just cut ropes and send everyone off, but to instead re-focus.

Just now, Avacyn said:

Never stated the opportunity wouldn't be given, that's the opposite of the intention, actually. Not aiming to just cut ropes and send everyone off, but to instead re-focus.

As long as that's the case I'm 100% in support

10 hours ago, Avacyn said:

People should be committed when they step into learning something like this, and not treat magic and endgames like sweets at a candy shop

I wish people that made end game magics shared the same point of view as you do when they did it. Voidal feats, end game magics with little to no drawbacks; it's all very disgusting.