[Clarification/Addition] Conduits of Enlightenment

Booklight12

Conduits of Enlightenment

Clarifications/Additions

Brief

This lore I am going to try and keep as short as possible, this is more so a clarification and update to the Conduits of Enlightenment lore I made in 2015 which you may find linked below in the work cited. This isn’t entirely an addition, but rather an attempt to explaining (some) of the lore, and how it interacts with other pieces created after it. It’s a bit outdated, and while the original lore was made from my characters point of view, this will be entirely OOC based. With that said this isn’t an entire remake, and reading the original lore is recommended to understand this to its fullest as this is not a means of explaining it, but instead enabling it to work with the other lore added since 3 years ago.

What is a Conduit of Enlightenment?

A Conduit of Enlightenment is the title bestowed upon a descendant who has went through the process of enlightenment and has achieved a new state of existence. Their soul is directly connected to their mind through a ritual that naturally enriches the soul to a greater state via metanoia. This directly affects their everyday existence as they are now at a higher state of being, and understanding of their own soul and those around them.

How to become one

Originally anyone could become a conduit of enlightenment, and while I believe anyone is able to, and should be open to the lore I also want it to change. In order for your character to enter this state of being you must be introduced to it by a current being who has entered this state. It is a perpetual change that alters the soul of the player themselves, and thus cannot be reversed by any known means at this time. This is done by the conduit teacher guiding the character. The method in which a character can reach enlightenment may vary from player to player. However, the end result is that the player must with the assistance of their guide expel all mana from their body in an instant at the moment a character enters a meditative stasis. This stasis being the exact moment when a person transitions from being normal, to entering a meditative state of mind similar to a void mages connection to the void. Others conduits, because they are so attuned with souls are able to sense when others enter this state of meditation, and are now able to use their own mana as a catalyst in this ritual of connecting the person's mind and soul instead of the person becoming it. Requiring different amounts of mana to be used depending on the person. However, if it is too much for the conduit it is wholly possible for the aspirant to expel their mana instead. And then they become a conduit.

Dreaming

Dreaming is basically the term for the form of meditation conduits have. Normally when mortals meditate they just enter a state of bliss that the conduits feel indefinitely. A humbling sensation that gives the meditator a sense of peace. However, because Conduits have transcended this and perpetually are in this state, when they meditate instead they slip into a lucid dream like state. In this state they can do literally anything within their minds. They can recreate their own version of Aos, create an infinite forest, or test different things that may be unsafe in the real world. Time is also relative in this state, 1 day in meditation can be 1 hour in the real world, or 1 hour in meditation can be 1 day in the real world. When they enter this state they are essentially The Creator of their own world, which is basically the outcome of what happens whens one's conscious touches their soul. Although it is entirely in their head, but very real to them.

Effects

This state enriches the superior soul into a greater soul, this does not work instantly as the bolstering of one's soul is gradual, the older the soul is in this state the more potent it becomes akin to that of a aengudaemons patron (This has no mechanical/combative effects). In this state of being the conduit is in a complete state of spiritual equilibrium. They would begin to see the world around them differently as they gain attunement to souls, and the true nature of them. While it is still possible for a conduit to fight, and get into a fight purposefully, as the state of being continues it becomes less, and less likely for them to instigate a fight, but is only a recommended path and may change depending on character interaction. Because of their state of being they gain some other unintended effects. Because of the enriching of their souls their soul essence is enriched. It acquires similar feats as Yeu Rthulus followers, as both created types of bolstered souls. However, it is different. While Conduits to make it twice as difficult for soul puppeteers to curse them. They are not protected from dark magics as followers of Yeu Rthulu have due to their angelic protection. Because of their nature, Conduits are known to have greatly heightened aura akin to a Celestial Mage, as well their Genus is near equivalent to that of a Voidal Horror.

Interactions with other magic

Voidal- Nothing, their connection to the void may be eased somewhat due to them being in an constant state of peace/meditation. It’s slightly harder to remove someone's concentration because of this.

Mental Magic- When in the dream like state, mental magic does not work on them.

Dark Arts- Users of Dark Arts specifically Necromancers, Shades, Strength of the Abyss can use this however due to the nature of their corrupted souls the images they see in dreaming are naturally twisted, and dark, if they want to project a tree it will be barren, if they want to project a building it will be a ruin of its intended make. The effects of peace are negated but the effects of paranoia may be lessened slightly, but still present.

Frost witch's/Blood mages/Soul puppetry users- They can become a conduit without repercussion.

Blood Magic- Their Genus is equivalent to that of the potency of a voidal horror when used as a catalyst for a ritual.

Mysticism/Necromancy- They have heightened souls making them powerful catalysts for their dark rituals as well.

Aengudaemonic- Monks (Non playable), Ascended, Shamans, Clerics, Druids, Paladins can all use this.

Keepers of Xan- Does not work due to relegated soul. You must have a soul present to be able to use this. If you become a keeper after becoming a conduit? (Up to LT, may be interesting

Soul Tree Druids- Have to be near the tree for it to work. If out of its general vicinity it will not work. Same rule applies if you become one after being a conduit.

-Creatures-

Undead- It will never work for any undead creatures

Nephilim- Because the change is natural there is no effect, they may use it.

Archons- They may use it and gain its effects

Daeva- The same effects of shades but amplified

(If I am missing anything else please remind me)

Changes

-Gradually becomes a greater soul akin to Patrons of Aengudaemons, but not tied to one.

-Genus/Soul essence is heightened making them susceptible to being great catalysts for dark rituals if this fact is discovered

-Requires Magic Feat App to be recorded.

-No longer self teachable (It is not rewarding to self teach this, as this is greatly an interaction between the enlightened and those they guide.)

-Any active conduit that has been one for 1 IRL month may make a TA.

-A conduit teaching another may instead use their own mana to enlighten someone, and can sense the exact moment they are able to do so.

-New interactions with other magics

-This is a form of a Metanoia ritual, the soul is not changed but instead connected and empowered.

Debrief

Just wanted to have a debrief, and say that this mostly a clarification using current lore, not adding any new concepts. I have been meaning to add onto the lore itself for quite some time, but have been either busy or too lazy to write any additions. So this is merely a piece of lore i’d like to use to gain the attention of the general community again. Ultimately my goal is to either keep it as it is, or add different expansions so that events and roleplay could stem off from this. I wanted some interaction with other magics, namely blood magic and other dark arts, as while this isn’t a dark art at all, and the users for the most part will likely be wary of dark arts due to the nature of this ritual. I think it would be interesting to see how a potential interaction can be formed. Also, Gladuous brought it to my attention that the actual way people become conduits was kind of lacking, which is why I made it possible for another conduit to create others. If anyone has opinions, gripes, or things you’d like to see added/removed feel free to discuss on the post. That’s what it’s here for.

Resources

Conduits of Enlightenment

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/121243-lore-conduits-of-enlightenment/

Soul Lore Clarification Part I/II

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/160870-%E2%9C%93-lore-clarification-world-lore-animology-a-discourse-on-souls/

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/162202-%E2%9C%93-animology-vol-ii-a-further-discourse-on-souls/

Enaction of Yeu Rthulu

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/163490-magic-featutilityholyenaction-of-yeu-rthulu/

I enjoy meditating RP and I love the flavor this adds. +1

Being a user of this, these are good changes. Do I need to wait for the person who taught me to submit their TA before I place my MA Feat for it up or no?

Id wait until this lore, or whatever itiration or clarification is approved. Im going to discuss with all comduits so feel free to comtact me. @Keefy

Edited by Booklight12

I don’t understand the point. What is the main point? Am I missing something or is it just too similar to feats in cognatism?

I am also gonna play the villain here and say I don’t like that they have what you call “heightened aura.” You added this but there doesn’t seem to be any reason other than to add to a list of things they do. Is it in the OG lore too?

Archons and Celestialists have heightened aura and both of them (moreso in Celestialism) have effects and interaction with that change that occurs. Adding in this effect may seem harmless but I believe it would come to be muddying or what so many others have called “lore bloat.”

edit: I enjoyed the in OG lore how subtle it was and how it was really just an expansion and way of thinking about meditation RP. I think this may be an unnecessary step to an otherwise solid lore piece. 

39 minutes ago, Sir K Andruske said:

I don’t understand the point. What is the main point? Am I missing something or is it just too similar to feats in cognatism?

I am also gonna play the villain here and say I don’t like that they have what you call “heightened aura.” You added this but there doesn’t seem to be any reason other than to add to a list of things they do. Is it in the OG lore too?

Archons and Celestialists have heightened aura and both of them (moreso in Celestialism) have effects and interaction with that change that occurs. Adding in this effect may seem harmless but I believe it would come to be muddying or what so many others have called “lore bloat.”

edit: I enjoyed the in OG lore how subtle it was and how it was really just an expansion and way of thinking about meditation RP. I think this may be an unnecessary step to an otherwise solid lore piece. 

The main intention of this lore and some of the additions were to update the lore, by adding how it interacts with other magic/creatures, as well as to comment on the soul lore avacyn wrote. The only changes to the original lore were that noted in the changes sections which is kind of a tl;dr. The reason I wanted it to be OOC was just to get a general description of some changes that would happen. The heightened aura part is what I was told to add in response to it being a heightened soul, and was told it'd make sense given the lore. But as I said it's all up for change. With that said, the other change that is a big difference between the original lore is the fact that it requires a feat application. That was done with the sole intention being that, 3 years later with the characters that have achieved this, very few actually used the lore without a teacher. There was an unforseen interaction between the conduit and those they guide that was actually really cool which made great roleplay, that people who didn't have teachers couldn't experience. The lock is there to make the experience rewarding. I hope this response answered some questions, thanks for the critique though. If you want we can discuss in pm's or discord if you've any ideas on how you feel about the lore piece, what you like/dislike. There I could also explain more  in-depth on things I might have passed over.

Edit- As for cognatism, much of that was explained and discussed in the original lore piece. This was before the alteration to Cognatism lore where it includes Voidal Horrors, which is a big reason why it wouldn't fit under cognatism, as this can and has been achieved by people like druids/clerics/shamans, where it wouldn't fit. It's meant to be a feasible thing achieved by any people or race. So it's completely neutral.

Edited by Booklight12

Thank you for submitting your piece! This will be our final vote until the end of February and due to the amount of lore currently submitted, will take 2 weeks to finish. Expect a verdict here on the 30th/31st.

Unfortunately, due to the large amount of lore pieces (32 or so) that we're reviewing this time around, I am extending the current vote. A verdict will be posted here around the 5th. I'll post here again to keep you updated if anything else arises.

This lore is pending, you will be contacted regarding the issues raised by the lore team so you may fix it. You have 2 weeks to make the changes, beginning from when you are contacted. Once you have edited your piece, send me a forum PM and your piece will be reviewed to ensure the changes have been made.

Edit: The required changes were not met within the given time frame, lore is denied.