[✗] [Addon] Attuned Chimeras

JuniperSelkie

See the source image

Attuned Chimeras

Elementally aligned chimeras created using powerful elemental symbols during their birthing. Like homunculi, an attuned chimera is affected mentally and emotionally by their element, but also physically. The primary characteristics of the dominant creature will largely go unchanged, but the secondary or tertiary chimeral features take in the coloring of the element, and often gives away the nature of the chimera.

In addition, the chimera acquired a great weakness to its opposing element, but a measure of resistance to its own. For instance, an earth chimera might be resistant to poisons and venom, while a water chimera would be resistant to cold. Due to the enduring nature of elements, attuned chimeras can live a much fuller lifespan, but there are risks. Due to the dual influence of animal and element on the mind, attuned chimeras can experience madness or memory loss, similar to those of advanced aging.

As a side effect of the unusual creation process, attuned chimeras will produce a smaller version of the creature they were fused with which is imbued with their element. This creature will live for as long as the primary lifeform, often being used to gauge if the chimera is alive or dead. Being an aspect of the greater chimera’s essence, it shares the Soul of the attuned chimera. If the chimera is entirely animal, the lesser soul of the chimera is still shared with the miniature, and thus the mini cannot revive. However, if the chimera is descendant based, then the greater soul of the descendant effects the miniature, and it can revive much like a descendant.

There are 3 types of chimera.
    Aquatic -The rarest type is called an aquatic chimera, which contains one or more aquatic creatures as a component. Due to the radical differences in respiratory function usually found in aquatic creatures, it’s considered nearly impossible to generate an aquatic chimera. When an aquatic chimera is created, they often have increased lung capacity.

Aerial - Aerial chimeras are more common than Aquatic chimeras, but not significantly. Aerial chimeras contain a flying creature as a component. Despite their nature, the grand majority of Aerial chimeras cannot fly, because of stunted wings. Many, however, can glide.

Terrestrial - The most common type, composed entirely of land-faring creatures. While lacking the environmental features of the other two types, Terrestrial Chimeras tend to heal more quickly.

See the source image

When 3 or more powerful symbols are added to the mix at the moment of fusion, an Attuned chimera can take form. There are four types.

Air Chimeras are often intellectual, and experience enhanced speed. They’re slightly resistant to their own element, but vulnerable to earth. Sometimes, they can be overly logical. However, of all attuned Chimeras, they are the least likely to experience memory issues. They also tend to be the most fragile of the four kinds. Air chimeras most commonly live 75% of their race’s lifespan.

Water Chimeras are often graceful and calm. They’re composed, and resistant to cold, but don’t deal well with heat or fire. This type is the most emotionally stable, and experiences fewer mood swings. However, they are the least physically stable, and tend to last shorter periods than the others. Water chimeras most commonly live 50% of their race’s lifespan.

Fire Chimeras are strong, but often also rash, and experience anger problems and severe mood swings at times. While they’re resistant to flame and heat, cold can take a Fire Chimera down fairly quickly. Fire chimeras encounter the least amount of issues with physical degeneration. However, they are the most emotionally unstable. Fire chimeras most commonly live 100% of their races lifespan.

Earth Chimeras are durable, and extremely stubborn and strong willed. They’re resistant to poisons and toxins, but weak to their opposite opposite, air. It can be difficult to reason with an earth chimera if they have made up their mind, but their loyalty is unwavering once they decide who is their friend. Earth Chimeras experience the fewest issues with insanity, but tend to have more issues with their memories. Earth Chimeras most commonly live 85% of their race’s lifespan.

See the source image

EXAMPLE: Briar Tinuvial was made into a chimera in early Athera. The transformation was performed on him by a necromancer, fusing him with a large breed of falcon. During the fusion, Crimson Vase, Dwarf’s Pumpkin, and Blistering Toad were added to the solution. The chimeral features acquired by the mali’aheral were fourfold: falcon-like wings, feathers, a decrease in bone density, and hard, talon-like nails. Due to the fire element, the feathers and wings became brilliant oranges, yellows, and reds, instead of browns and grays. His wings are too small for flight, and he has yet to be able to move them independently of his other limbs, but gliding short distances may become a possibility in his future. Because of the flame aspect, the creature that grew within him like a tumor is a fiery looking miniature falcon, and he experiences trouble with his memory, and severe mood swings.

Mechanical features/OOC Rules

-A beastial Chimera may be roleplayed at the discretion of the creator much like a regular familiar.

-Beastial Chimeras may not be roleplayed as an independent character.

-Descendant Chimeras may be roleplayed with the use of a creature application.

-Anything beyond the size of a wolf may not be tamed by any means.

-Common creatures may be acquired without additional roleplay for ease of use.

-Uncommon creatures may not, anything beyond of what you would normally find must be legitimately acquired through roleplay, be it through events or any other credible means.

Pros/Advantages

-Plethora of possible combinations.

-Combined Strengths/Senses. (Descendant Chimeras may inherit SOME animalistic instincts/senses/boons.)

-Boons based on type and element of Chimera.

Weaknesses/Vulnerabilities

-Gold/Aurum
-Clerical Magic

-Opposing Elements

-Deranged, more feral than what the specimen once was.

-Vulnerable to various types of degeneration.

Red-Lines

-No workarounds for the basic rules of creation: No fusing a house cat with a human, no combining a sea creature with a land creature, etc.

-Adding on to the “All creatures must be of relative size”. This measure is derived from their fully matured sizes. Meaning if you fuse, say, an infant human with a house cat, It will die once the infant Chimera hits its supposed growth spurt.

-Again. The creatures will remain wild in nature, even more so with the tampering of their natural lives; most of these creatures are untameable, and likely to go on a rampage, if it can.

-Neither of the variants may reproduce.

Pictures collected from the internet, not mine.

Thanks to Mathius for giving me the go-ahead to add on to Chimera stuff.
Thanks to Flam for feedback along the way.

Edited by Briar_Ophiuchus

I have enjoyed Briar's rp for as long as I have known them. One of the most stand out things is how their being a chimera isn't the defining aspect of their character. It is an aspect that adds to them and enriches their story. I think I have more fun with helping them train their wings than they do!

I absolutely support their lore post because I know it is well thought out and a labor of love meant to enrich those who take part in it!

45 minutes ago, Briar_Ophiuchus said:

EXAMPLE: Briar Tinuvial was made into a chimera in early Athera. The transformation was performed on him by a necromancer, fusing him with a large breed of falcon. During the fusion, Crimson Vase, Dwarf’s Pumpkin, and Blistering Toad were added to the solution. The chimeral features acquired by the mali’aheral were fourfold: falcon-like wings, feathers, a decrease in bone density, and a hardening of the nails. Due to the fire element, the feathers and wings became brilliant oranges, yellows, and reds, instead of browns and grays. His wings are too small for flight, and he has yet to be able to move them independently of his other limbs, but gliding short distances may become a possibility in his future. Because of the flame aspect, the creature that grew within him like a tumor is a fiery looking miniature falcon, and he experiences trouble with his memory, and severe mood swings.

Lifespan: Disregarding of the Descedant’s prior lineage. Ten to twenty years, the fluctuating life-span’s parameters are based upon the creature’s overall health.

????????????????????????????

7 minutes ago, GrimReaper98 said:

Lifespan: Disregarding of the Descedant’s prior lineage. Ten to twenty years, the fluctuating life-span’s parameters are based upon the creature’s overall health.

????????????????????????????

Alright, so. an ordinary chimera doesn't last very long, yes. But these chimeras are far more stable than the original model, if much harder to make. Like it says in my OP, an Attuned Chimera lives, in most cases, at least half of the lifespan of its primary component creature.

It's noted in paragraph 2 of the introduction, and the general lifespans of the types are noted in their descriptions.

+1. Flavoured abominations are my favorite kind.

hey LT maybe don't skim over this lore because it is alchemy or not a major magic maybe give it a proper read because it is good lore and it deserves the proper attention okay thank you very much

Chimera's lifespans are meant to be ethereal, and I believe it should remain that way. Besides that, I don't mind additional variations of Chimera. Fix the former and you'll have my full support. 

For some one who plays a chimera and took a break honestly for awhile I say this is a good piece of lore. An love idea of an actual longer life span one can truly age there chimera not just up and die if one actual does realistically with there aging in lotc.

+1

Sounds like a lot of fun! +1

Thank you for submitting your piece! This will be our final vote until the end of February and due to the amount of lore currently submitted, will take 2 weeks to finish. Expect a verdict here on the 30th/31st.

Unfortunately, due to the large amount of lore pieces (32 or so) that we're reviewing this time around, I am extending the current vote. A verdict will be posted here around the 5th. I'll post here again to keep you updated if anything else arises.

Unfortunately, this piece has been denied. We're trying to cut down on the amount of creatures we accept, along with taking this month to take a look at the creatures that are currently accepted to see what is inactive and/or taking up space. We do not feel that this addition brings anything new to the table that isn't already fulfilled by chimeras, nor are the changes made to the descendant version of the chimera enough to warrant granting a longer life-span.

Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.