[✓] Entling and Spriggan Amendments

Gladuos

Pre-face: I’m making a few changes regarding both of these druidic constructs for the purpose of giving them more viable roleplay. Whether to make them more enjoyable or revive them from being useless in comparison to other options. Those were my main reasons for writing this up quickly, so if you have any concerns please comment below about what I should change and I’ll consider it. Otherwise I'll be putting the revised redlines following each section. Not all changes will be highlighted in the revised redlines as they're more RP-centric rather than mechanical though so be sure to read the main text as well. Finally, you should read each creature's original lore in their entirety before reading these amendments to get a full grasp of what's being proposed. I'll link them preceding both sections. Thank you!

~ Entlings ~

[Original Lore]

9ba076c0ae41b05fdfb4090c31bd583b.png

[Entling by KaiserFlames]

Reasoning:

These changes are being proposed for the reason that entlings are under-utilized in favor of better alternatives in combat. Due to confusion in amendments for acceptance, it is my belief they were nerfed too heavily to actually be useful. After learning from Delmodan what the LT initially wanted changed when entlings were put on pending, I suggest they become more autonomous yet not without being around the druid so they may emote for it. This is because the concerns were about entlings going places without someone being there to RP for it. For example, an entling guarding a location where no one is around, thus being incapable of actually doing so.

Amendments:

An entling will carry out a task attributed to it during its creation to the best of its ability, not exceeding the limited intelligence of a construct. A druid no longer requires directly focusing on their entling to control it. Even so, the entling still sustains itself off the druid’s energy. Due to the entling’s dependence on a nearby druid to give it energy, it cannot go further than 50 meters away (within shout distance so it may still be RPed by the druid player).

Because the entling acts on its own, the druid which summoned it may concentrate on other things again such as their other druidic gifts. Furthermore, due to the power involved with being able to summon something independent, it once more requires 6 emotes to summon an entling. Finally, a druid is only able to have one entling at a time even while no longer needing to directly concentrate because of the intimate connection formed between druid and entling.

Revised Redlines [Bolded+underlined words are additions/changes and strikethroughs are removals]:

-Druids may summon an entling from a matured tree with a minimum of six (6) emotes and are required to be tier five (5). This process can be gift-shared and will take less time (within reason).

-Entlings exist to fulfill a certain purpose which is conceived during the entling’s creation. This task can only relate to serving the Aspects. Once this task is complete, they will find a spot to root and lose their conscious permanently.

-Due to a rather simple mind, and their need to be maintained by druidic energy, entlings must stay within shouting distance (50 blocks/meters) of their creator.

-Entlings cannot speak, are vulnerable to any type of fire, and do not possess any magical abilities.

-Entlings are generally smaller than spriggans, and much weaker than ents. Their strength could be equal to that of an orc. Though nowhere near an olog.

-If an entling dies, the druid who summoned it will be taxed physically with fatigue until they rest. The effects of a shared-connection being torn apart forcefully.

-May only have one entling summoned at a time.

-Entlings require mandatory focus upon them from their druid. This does not disable the druid completely, but will render all druidic abilities impossible (no further communing), and complex physical actions (advanced fighting, sprinting, intense climbing, rapid dodging, etc).

~ Spriggans ~

[Original Lore]

spriggan_by_mondays_noon-d5s6u4k.png

[Spriggan by mondays-noon]

Reasoning:

Spriggans are a very interesting part of druidic lore and I don’t intend to make many changes about how they work. The only things I want to look at are aspects that were over-looked and ultimately make spriggans unenjoyable to RP. Their inability to leave their tree’s location make them unable to go to any RP hubs to interact with other players. Their lack of intelligence/personality or ability to speak make it very hard to get invested into a spriggan character. These simple lore points resulted in spriggans becoming unfeeling sentinels more suited for NPCs than actual player-characters and with this I want to help fix that.

Amendments:

The first two changes I want to make about spriggans are their lack of personability. The longer a spriggan is awakened to the natural world, the more intelligent they become. They form their own opinions and personalities, but are still incapable of acting against the core nature of a spriggan. They can’t be highly intelligent, must always follow the commands of a druid, and must always respect nature (including the desire to attack any imbalance such as dark creatures).

With this growing personality, spriggans may also learn to speak. They can be taught a language such as common if enough time is spent on it, but be mindful of their construct intelligence. This is possible, much like ents, by a grinding wooden sound magically occurring within their bodies. Sourceless, it gives inhuman noises which may string together words.

A spriggan can now leave the area of their sleeping tree, but with several costs. By leaving the area they will gradually wilt and die by the waning druidic energies inside them. They can only be outside the range of their sleeping tree for a maximum of 3 OOC hours before returning to replenish on natural energies. If a druid is nearby, they may opt to be given energy to extend this time but be mindful this cannot last forever if relying on a single druid (at maximum 10 OOC hours in this case).

Revised Redlines [Bolded+underlined words are additions/changes and strikethroughs are removals]:

-Spriggans cannot be taller than 8ft.

-Spriggans have limited free will. They must attempt to fight off anything voidal or undead in nature in its presence, unless ordered to stop by a druid. They can never do anything to harm nature, even if it results in their own death. This doesn’t stop them from having personalities/opinions that fall in line with this.

-Spriggans may not go anywhere beyond 300 blocks of its sleeping tree for longer than 3 OOC hours unless aided by replenishing druidic energies (be reasonable with this).

-Spriggans may only be summoned once per IRL day.

-A Spriggans’ core must always be possible to access and strike at. There must be gaps in its chest or some form of exploitable weakness which allows people to get to the core.

-Spriggans are not capable of controlling the plants and animals around it like a druid could. They are only capable of manipulating the wood of their own body.

-There can never be more than 10 Sleeping trees in existence. (i.e. only a maximum of ten places on the map can spawn spriggans)

-Spriggans must have a player playing them. You can’t just summon one in RP and RP like an extension of your own character’s combat abilities. It needs to be another player controlling them.

Legit, I couldn't support this more. Please just pass this for the love of ****.

I like the changes, but think that perhaps the range you can be from your Entling should scale with the size of the Ent. 

10 minutes ago, Pinsir99 said:

I like the changes, but think that perhaps the range you can be from your Entling should scale with the size of the Ent.

I decided to add the range restriction mainly so that it cannot go anywhere you as a player couldn't emote for it,  thus the shout distance limit. The only thing that idea would do is make the range smaller with the max being shout distance. I don't think that's wholly necessary since I'd assume entlings will generally be around the same size when RPed unless you go out of your way to make them tiny maybe? Even then I don't see why being smaller would make the range smaller, or why that'd be necessary, so *shrug*. Thanks for the feedback anyway!

Can my Ent pvp? If yes, +1.

Bless u Glad.

But yeah, I wholly agree with these suggestions. Especially Spriggans. It has always been the one thing restricting me from making a spriggan character myself. +1

I'm probably not the only one who likes how rare it is to interact with ents and entlings and would like to see them remain as something that is not an everyday sight. Hard -1 for the Entling part.

Spriggans +1

Ents should remain elusive creatures, rare and abstract forms of creation that people should only encounter below a handful of times in their journeys. Not a big fan of the ent part.

Entlings =/= Ents.  The name is similar, but different creatures. 

9 hours ago, Gladuos said:

I decided to add the range restriction mainly so that it cannot go anywhere you as a player couldn't emote for it,  thus the shout distance limit. The only thing that idea would do is make the range smaller with the max being shout distance. I don't think that's wholly necessary since I'd assume entlings will generally be around the same size when RPed unless you go out of your way to make them tiny maybe? Even then I don't see why being smaller would make the range smaller, or why that'd be necessary, so *shrug*. Thanks for the feedback anyway!

Apologies, I mean that smaller ents wouldn't need to be as close.

Seems to be a confusion on the entlings part. They're smaller tree-humanoids a druid can already summon right now but are too weak imo so I decided to make these amendments. They are not anything like ents which will remain rare, elusive ET creatures (not to mention immensely more powerful). Sorry if you all were confused about that part. I'll link their lores soon so anyone can peruse them to get acquainted before reading this as these are just amendments, not new concepts.

As for smaller entlings travelling further away, I'll have to say no on that. Going further away than where the player can roleplay was the main reason they were initially rejected to pending. @Pinsir99

Furthermore, avoiding any more confusion. Entlings aren't to be RPed by players but are summonable creatures to serve a druid like how a conjurer might conjure a bear for example.  Read the lore, guys!

Thank you for submitting your piece! This will be our final vote until the end of February and due to the amount of lore currently submitted, will take 2 weeks to finish. Expect a verdict here on the 30th/31st.

Unfortunately, due to the large amount of lore pieces (32 or so) that we're reviewing this time around, I am extending the current vote. A verdict will be posted here around the 5th. I'll post here again to keep you updated if anything else arises.