[Shelved]Lore Amendment: Plants Can't Have Babies

Wendigo

1 minute ago, Sky said:

If the lore team didn't want bryophites to have children, then why did they accept the recent update which specifically said they could have children? 

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/166931-✓-lore-submissioncreature-lore-bryophites/

Sometimes people make mistakes and skim over things, and end up not noticing these kinds of details. Either that, or they didn't regard it as they should have and were more distracted by the bulk of the lore. Nonetheless, something being accepted with certain details does not make these details immune to change if they don't make sense.

1 minute ago, Swgrclan said:

Sometimes people make mistakes and skim over things, and end up not noticing these kinds of details. Either that, or they didn't regard it as they should have and were more distracted by the bulk of the lore. Nonetheless, something being accepted with certain details does not make these details immune to change if they don't make sense.

Oh I'm not trying to defend it, just confused is all since it wasn't all that long ago, you know? All lore is subject to change.

10 minutes ago, Swgrclan said:

I think we need to first reflect on the fact that Byrophites aren't actually a special creature, but are rather treated as a group of normie characters that are literally no different from anyone else because they are almost exactly the same down to bodily function and psychology. They can use types of magic, they can live like everyone else, I'm pretty sure they have the same lifespans, everything is the same except in plant form, and they can have children. What exactly is the point of this lore? To just be a green normie made of flammable plantmatter? What new or involved experience do they even offer?

Remove not only this pregnancy garbage, but also the fact they're literally no different from everyone else and make them a proper creature. This is absolute Anime Boku No Hero Highschool nonsense and only means to dilute what it means to a character to exist as something other than a normal, mortal individual.

The Bryophites are a race of humanoid plant people created through the intercession of Cerridwen. Their body retains the look of their former race; though their body shares a similar appearance, it is made of plants not its former flesh. From wry root hair, to yucca husk skin, the Bryophites are truly and wholly sapient plants.

soooo

THEY ARE MADE OF PLANTS 

HOW DO THEIR CHILDREN NOT RIP THEIR PLANT BODIES APART

3 minutes ago, Sky said:

Oh I'm not trying to defend it, just confused is all since it wasn't all that long ago, you know? All lore is subject to change.

Oh, well yeah. In fact I think I was on the LT at the time of Byrophites being submitted, and I don't doubt I could have overlooked this kind of detail and decided to vote "yes" under the assumption they'd be an interesting creature. So it's not something the team is immune to, really. 

It takes a lot for me to agree someone with an unironic Rick and Morty avatar, but I could not agree with this more. LT should either completely rehaul plantmen or just remove them outright IMO.

can bryophites reproduce via spores instead

would be way cooler if they were like the fungus people from the last of us 

112503_1372825156_orig.jpg

Edited by tavern_roleplay

Personally I don't see what they add to rp, they're in every way normal even lore wise except for the added benefits of...a plant. So besides this particular bit which severely bothers me and is clearly a heavy flaw I'd like to see them reworked to the point where they actively add to rp or just outright remove further creation of them in total. Apologies to those that feel this is a heavy stance, it's my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Wendigo said:

Personally I don't see what they add to rp, they're in every way normal even lore wise except for the added benefits of...a plant. So besides this particular bit which severely bothers me and is clearly a heavy flaw I'd like to see them reworked to the point where they actively add to rp or just outright remove further creation of them in total.

this could be said about all sorts of **** ranging from frost witches to "draughted undead" to izkuthii

of all the really pointless lore on the server, bryophites are really benign

1 minute ago, tavern_roleplay said:

of all the really pointless lore on the server, bryophites are really benign

8 minutes ago, Wendigo said:

Apologies to those that feel this is a heavy stance, it's my opinion.

You argument for bryos not being able to have children is dumb, as it is stated in lore the soul of a bryo is much the same as that of a descendant but their soul blueprint was changed with the transformation lol XD

23 minutes ago, Wendigo said:

Personally I don't see what they add to rp, they're in every way normal even lore wise except for the added benefits of...a plant. So besides this particular bit which severely bothers me and is clearly a heavy flaw I'd like to see them reworked to the point where they actively add to rp or just outright remove further creation of them in total. Apologies to those that feel this is a heavy stance, it's my opinion.

Absolutely nothing can add to RP so long as players choose not to react appropriately to RP situations. And they don't. 

1 hour ago, Wendigo said:

Apologies to those that feel this is a heavy stance, it's my opinion.

No, seriously. People get to run around committing serial murder with darkstalkers that are immortal and do not bleed or feel pain. People get to play "homunculi" that are just like people except they're made of rock and cannot be killed. People get to play immortal ascended and half-dragon demigod incarnates. None of these (races? creatures?) "add anything to roleplay," they don't necessarily have a purpose, and more often than not they only exist so players can one-up each other in RP combat.

It's so silly that the only complaints we get about the massively bloated lotc canon are silly things like "oooh it really breaks my suspension of disbelief that plants can get pregnant!" Of all the questions I might have about bryophites, including but not limited to, "how do they move around, think, feel, or speak," "how can a bryophite get pregnant" falls so far outside my suspension of disbelief that it wouldn't have even occurred to me. Bryophites are just people with green skin, just like Azdrazi are people with horns and homunculi are people but ******* annoying. 

I'd argue that the only reason bryophites bother so many people is that they don't really fit in with the rest of LoTC's lore. In a sea of plagiarized fromsoft IPs and obnoxious grimdark schlock, they stand out as something that wasn't created for the express purpose of being cooler, edgier, and more powerful than everyone else. Bryophites are just... plants. They don't have any intrinsic advantages or special abilities. They have no agenda, and that's not a bad thing. Why is it necessary for them to have a "purpose?" Why do they have to satisfy this need when other magical creatures plainly don't? 

Edited by tavern_roleplay