[✗] Arch-Daemon: Aggaroth, The Lord of Torment

drfate786

Lore

Aggaroth, Lord of Torment

GrQP-CXI3wjF8ykihoocruM6Kvo2eVtTmg9a0gERru-99sipdLwv1JHVaqufN_sx41We5fCOnKsMh5aLvIDgM2IPCHAgP7AWNIzebNQFP32UpfKr7r5Cc7bWqyE6KUQgP4_m3Ek

“Aggaroth’s form, described within the mad drawings of a long forgotten grimoire.”

Aggaroth or also known as Metistroph is the arch daemon of negative mortal thought, it feeds on the agony and mental anguish of mortals and gains power in their torment.

Aggaroth’s History

Known to the Aengulic council as the chain warden and the former member of a sect of rebellious Daemons, Aggaroth was condemned to torment the soul stream for eternity after siding with Iblees during the thirty year war that saw the destruction of Aegis. As a result, Aeriel scorched Aggaroth’s deific essence forcing him to take upon a hideous and permanent form that would be chained to the most deprived depths of Ebrietas for eternity. However, Aggaroth’s agony infested the depths of the moon with darkness, suffusing a part of ebrietas with a horrible corruption of the mind, a darkness that has been spreading for over a millenia.

Aggaroth’s true intentions are vague, it saw the Aengulic council as a threat to its former dominion and sought to use the thirty year war as a means to weaken them. Ofcourse, upon seeing what Iblees’s true intentions were, Aggaroth forsook Iblees and led his council of Daemons to fight against not only Aeriel’s council but Iblees as well. The resulting war on two fronts failed miserably, the council Aggaroth had created was scattered and those few remaining loyal to it were cast beside it as it and the others were scorched by Aeriel’s light and cast into Ebrietas in chains.

Over the course of the ages, Aggaroth became the wardenof the damned, its chains would latch to the darkened, malformed souls of Ebrietas and plunge them into the depths of its prison where they too would be subjected to the torment that it had been subjected to. It is the caretaker of the damned and unlike Aeriel it seeks to corrupt Ebrietas into a parody of what it currently is, if it should suffer all of creation will with it, including Aeriel.

Aggaroth’s form can only be described as one that could pry the sanity away from even the most wicked of souls. Horns crown his scorched skull where hideous fangs wreathed in smoke and shadow adorn a leering jaw that is always kept open as if to scream its agony out into the endless darkness beneath Ebrietas. Empty sockets where flames once shown like that of a star are empty and hollow, smoke seeping from the empty sockets. Its form is massive, kept together by thousands of constantly regenerating strands of twisting sinew which is wreathed in malformed searing hot chains, from which it pulls victims into the shadowy depths of Ebrietas’s darkening core. It sports massive claws, a single strike from which will cause agony like no other to those few souls it touches. The touch of its claws will not only inflict searing agony to the subjected soul but will regenerate the tissue of those it touches, causing those touched by the Arch Daemon to forever languish in a prison of regenerating tissue much like Aggaroth himself.

Those whom used to be soul shadows or have committed endless atrocities in life are his preferred targets as he sees only his own defiance within their mortal hearts, a defiance he seeks to use to his own ends. Amongst those of his following are former members of Iblees’s own undead forces that fell out of Iblees’s favor along with all of those whom died as a practitioner of the mortal arts. Over the millenia, almost every depraved soul to have ever been born was dragged into his domain to be forever entwined in his anguish. Until now..

The Soul Breach

GVL0Go36w_meU276JLxpCuDYSGLUS_z8X5ygI60k5dNm09PJX0W3kfIPmPZBXz4NIF_hKaQdAosM6_3tL8YISGXfceI4cTFHJEPJesbmkMUa9xKpDZFKVhZ2R_x37incOJ3BrGg

“A page torn from a madman’s grimoire depicting the soul breach.”

“The Soul Breach, a mortal mind being used as a medium for Aggaroth’s forces to seep into our reality.”

Over the millennia, Aggaroth’s torment began to seep into the soul stream, suffusing reincarnating souls with its own nefarious corruption which has laid dormant within every reincarnated creature to this day. Those infected by the soul breach would find themselves susceptible to Aggaroth’s influence and can act as an unwilling medium from which he can rip and tear out of his prison. Mortal minds who succumb to this infestation or aid in widening the breach will always find themselves pulled into Aggaroth’s domain to suffer the same fate that the wicked have suffered unless the breach is sealed or their immortal souls are saved from its depraved grasp.

One of the most common side effects of being used as a medium for Aggaroth’s forces is that the user’s mind will unravel. Emotions not of their own will begin to flood their thoughts, they will hear voices whispering atrocities into their ears and eventually the afflicted will lose control of their motor functions. When this occurs, their mind unravels entirely and forms a proper breach via deific link to Aggaroth himself. This breach, rather than acting as a rift for Aggaroth’s forces to manifest directly, instead transforms the afflicted. The afflicted soul is ripped from the body and sent to Ebrietas while one of Aggaroth’s tortured souls enters the host body and transforms it to suit its own needs. Corrupted growths, chains and barbed wire will usually wrap around the body with claws and other natural weapons erupting from the host’s flesh as the soul blueprint rapidly changes to accomodate the abomination within.

The tormentors, the fate of all who succumb to Aggaroth, are immune to deific arts such as Aeriel’s sacred fire due to them having been subjected to Aggaroth’s torment and thus having already been scorched by it. Instead, the tormentors can afflict those Ascended whom secretly harbor Aggaroth’s taint within them with an encroaching madness in an attempt to have one of their brethren possess the Cleric and or Ascended. Much like Aggaroth, their claws will inflict agony upon the target and may inflict the victim with a soul breach by further spreading Aggaroth’s blight within their soul.

Despite their speed and immunity to holy arts, the tormented are weak against the voidal arts and are susceptible to ranged combat. A simple crossbow bolt will impair their movement, however one should note that the tormented are very durable and can withstand shots to the head, even decapitation. This means that the only sure way to kill a tormentor is to burn the body to prevent regeneration.

The tormented seek only one thing, escape from Aggaroth and to torment all they once held dear in the same fashion that they were tormented. They want to return to the mortal plane no matter the cost and will say and do anything for a mortal host. They are by far more deprived than Aggaroth himself, even if they were deprived in life.

Those afflicted by Aggaroth’s curse and torn from their bodies as a result can be saved by a cloud monk or a sanctuary within their own minds. The wilven monks, sensing Aggaroth’s taint within a soul will attempt to reach out and grab it. Most of the time, they will succeed in severing Aggaroth’s chains and saving the soul but the taint will always remain dormant upon it. Should it be a sanctuary of sorts, a part of the victim’s soul is free of Aggaroth’s taint and will always remain anchored to the physical plane until its mortal demise.

((OOC:

This lore adds a form of “hell” to LoTC, those who commit true atrocities in life have a high chance of being dragged into a new depth of Ebrietas by Aggaroth. Being said, this is also where soul shadows of the most deprived sort go should they be banished to Ebrietas. This explains why they cannot be brought back as they are quite literally being chained and tortured in the moon’s core for eternity, even if a soul shadow is only a fragment of a mortal soul. This corruption of the afterlife extends to everything, every soul passing through Ebrietas is suffused by Aggaroth’s torment which has taken a physical manifestation.

Aside from adding a very nasty addition to the afterlife, it also adds event potential. The tormented and Aggaroth’s interactions are meant to be ET focused for future event-lines. If the ET ran out of ideas, this lore is where they could turn to. Entire villages/towns could be infected, people could be plunged into the depths of their own minds with events based on their memories being corrupted/attacked by Aggaroth. This is an antagonist of the mind and soul, not a physical one that enters the physical plane and seeks only to infect the world with the pain it has felt for millenia.

Red Lines

Tormented/Tormentors can only be played by the ET, players may roleplay being infested but must consent to the eventual PK (unless infected during an event, in which case no PK will happen but the following will still occur) and must have an ET/MT present when the PK happens to manage the results and ensure the player is roleplaying said results correctly.

Everything with a soul/soulshadow is affected, no matter how altered or fragmented it is. Aggaroth’s taint permeates every inch of the person’s soul and lies dormant until activated in a similar fashion to Iblees’s curse. The only thing not currently affected are souls born a thousand or so years ago, these souls can still be infected though and may find themselves more unstable than others if such an infection occurs. (Look out Malin)

Holy magic doesn’t work, physical harm and normal magic does. Especially fire, use it instead of complaining. You’re in a horror thriller as soon as these things pop up to murder you and use your body as a living meat puppet, your gods cannot save you from that.. Nor do they want to.

If hit by the tormented, the player’s soul will form a soul breach and their mind becomes susceptible to Aggaroth’s deific link. When this occurs, the player will slowly but surely degrade mentally and physically until either pulled into the soul stream or used as a conduit for a tormentor. This fate is inevitable and can only be resisted until a way to seal this is found, but will not result in a PK unless the player consents as the soul is always saved at the last moment from a fate worse than oblivion but the body is not.

3 minutes ago, KorusPrime said:

We have the Nether though.

4 minutes ago, Sky said:

Iblees is the Arch-Daemon.

The nether's full, as for Iblees being "the" arch-daemon. There can be several arch-Daemons and several arch-Aenguls. It's not set in stone and even if it were, it's one word that can be changed on the document without any issue once or ever.

2 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

The nether's full, as for Iblees being "the" arch-daemon. There can be several arch-Daemons and several arch-Aenguls. It's not set in stone and even if it were, it's one word that can be changed on the document without any issue once or ever.

That's not how it works, there is one arch-aengul and one arch-daemon, else Xan would of taken the spot of second arch-aengul. 

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/158702-the-deific-hierarchyhigher-powers-list/

10 minutes ago, Sky said:

That's not how it works, there is one arch-aengul and one arch-daemon, else Xan would of taken the spot of second arch-aengul. 

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/158702-the-deific-hierarchyhigher-powers-list/

The title of Arch Aengul and Arch Daemon may be contested, but among the seven skies a great tension is built over this idea. A war of Aengudaemons would be a destructive one indeed.

It is how it works, it's a mere title awarded to the strongest of their kind. If you read the lore, Aggaroth contested both Aeriel and Iblees during the 30 year war and was imprisoned on Ebrietas for it. It even led a council of lesser Daemons, it was able to contest the title back when it was powerful enough to. Now though, it's just a shadow of his former self and still holds onto that title, even if he isn't an actual Arch-Daemon he's certainly willing to contest it.

A Daemon is a being that wishes to suppress the mortals, usually for a variety of reasons in a variety of ways. A Daemon is usually depicted to be 'evil', or have negative intent. While this isn't strictly true, Daemons commonly go about making their ideals known through questionable intent, relying on corruption, deception and death.

Based on that description and how Aggaroth still holds a lot of power compared to other Daemons of its kind, the fact it is able to influence mortal souls the way it does would in truth, make him more powerful then Iblees currently as unlike Iblees it doesn't need to be present in some form to cause misfortune to mortals. It's powerful enough to influence things from within its prison, something Iblees can't do in the Nether as of current.

That being said, Aggaroth is the key contestor for the title of Arch-Daemon and therefore self proclaims himself to be that.

Even if Aeriel isn't an Arch-Aengul and Xan is, as you say. It still took a very powerful force of Aenguls to imprison Aggaroth on Ebrietas. The reason for doing such obviously being that putting such a being in the nether would be unwise.

Edited by drfate786

But he didn't do any of that. A daemon not existing and suddenly existing is ridiculous. I don't think there is anything that could be edited that I would actually like this idea. Sorry.

3 minutes ago, Sky said:

But he didn't do any of that. A daemon not existing and suddenly existing is ridiculous. I don't think there is anything that could be edited that I would actually like this idea. Sorry.

The same could be argued over almost every single Aengudaemon then as they were also additions to the lore that did not previously exist and yet, suddenly do. Sorry if LoTC's lore isn't to your liking.

39 minutes ago, Sky said:

Sudden existence, isn't that all of the server lore?

3 minutes ago, Balthasar said:

Exactly my argument friend, glad someone agrees with me.

58 minutes ago, Sky said:

I love the idea of a new Daemon, but I think there shouldn’t be a need for naming this one an “archdaemon”. However, Sky, all of LOTC’s lore is something not existing to suddenly existing. (For example, the creation lore has changed once or twice.)

6 minutes ago, Gargled said:

I love the idea of a new Daemon, but I think there shouldn’t be a need for naming this one an “archdaemon”. However, Sky, all of LOTC’s lore is something not existing to suddenly existing. (For example, the creation lore has changed once or twice.)

Yeah, my only reason for even saying this is an arch daemon is due to it simply being more powerful then the others in the current time. I mean, Iblees is banished/chained up in the nether with no influence once or ever while this thing actually does have influence. If the title of Arch-Daemon goes to whoever is strongest then that would mean whoever has the most influence can arguably be considered the strongest at that moment. In otherwords, since Iblees is out of the picture this would be the current Arch-Daemon. If not it, then some other Daemon would be such as Metzli or Apohet. 

Edit: Since Apohet and Metzli are also out of the picture, AKA: No ET/Admin ever does events concerning them that means that this would be the Arch Daemon as it would actually have events/power trips as would be required on occasion.

Edited by drfate786

48 minutes ago, Balthasar said:

29 minutes ago, Gargled said:

I think there is a massive difference between sudden existance for a regular daemon or aengul, and the sudden existance for an arch-aengul or arch-daemon. Neither Aerial nor Iblees would of been silent about the thing to either of their disciples, the undead would of known about it as well as the ascended. If it's a regular daemon, I wouldn't care but sudden all powerful arch-daemon (or arch-aengul for that matter) is ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, Sky said:

I think there is a massive difference between sudden existance for a regular daemon or aengul, and the sudden existance for an arch-aengul or arch-daemon. Neither Aerial nor Iblees would of been silent about the thing to either of their disciples, the undead would of known about it as well as the ascended. If it's a regular daemon, I wouldn't care but sudden all powerful arch-daemon (or arch-aengul for that matter) is ridiculous.

Nah, there isn't. Especially when power-wise, this thing is equal to other Daemons. I mean, being scorched by an Arch-Aengul, having your power bound into a hideous form and then being chained up in what is essentially the darkest depths of the moon's core would do that. As for being silent, the same argument could again be made with all the other Aengudaemons. 

Also, since when do Aengudaemons communicate with their followers? Does that mean I start an Iblees cult Iblees will begin contacting my character? No right? 

6 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

Also, since when do Aengudaemons communicate with their followers? Does that mean I start an Iblees cult Iblees will begin contacting my character? No right? 

This will be my last comment as it is quite clear what I think about a potential new arch-daemon coming out of nowhere is, this is simply to explain that during my time as an undead in Athera, we were in-fact have communications with the Arch-Daemon Iblees. I cannot say for recently, however I know back in the day Aerial was in communications with the Ascended. Any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me, don't wish to clutter the thread more so.