[✗] Leylines

Luxury

Leylines
“The time ought to come where we turn our attention to the skies. The greatest secrets may have been just above our noses all along.”

AWxcMh-dEZIY44QqEmWeu9V3xc8wWOm0Pc8d9m9SQTRFGpQbpuR-VfTHNO-gvd6PrPT_NUGyk1mM0m5ixH4ZllobdZWnpaFd84xKp-2fKI6lezvGAoTDcxixJZ5987riOwAWHSL_

(credit to Yō Yoshinari)

Mana exists everywhere, in everything. Even the air is said to contain a certain type of mana.

A popular phrase spread by teachers of the Arcane. Indeed the air does contain mana, this mana in particular being further defined as Ley. Leylines are invisible channels of mana that cover all of creation in branching interconnecting webs. Leylines exist in three states: Lesser and Greater, and Artificial.

Lesser Leylines are spread evenly across all of the open air on the mortal plane, serving as a stark counterpoint to Greater Leylines. These lines may be altered by any mage with the means to do so. The Mage Light spell  is a popular result of altering the air, but other such feats have not yet come to be.

Greater Leylines are the potent rivers of mana which spread across the cosmos and the mortal plane alike, connecting areas of magical significance. These Leylines are vastly powerful. As such, a single mage could not hope to wield one on their own, but a number of practiced mages may composite their abilities to tap into and bend these Leylines to their desires.Generally, Greater Leylines can be sensed by seasoned mages.
When a Greater Leyline has successfully been channeled in a location, it’s state is defined as an Anchored Leyline. The power of a Greater Leyline may only be used once in an area and must be maintained lest the energy being focused through this Anchor break free with devastating consequences.

Artificial Leylines are threads of mana which are but a mimicry of their natural counterparts. Transfigurers are capable of creating these and using them to channel mana through the air. Creating the possibility to link multiple enchantments remotely to a nearby mana source such as a large gemstone or an obelisk. It is also possible to use this technique create a chain of mana between several mana gems, allowing for it to efficiently be spread across a larger area.

sQbdq7wdhr172_4UfOLLvr9NkW1Z-MGot9wQrlUsA4BFR8BUHUq5AVS_HUiGpeemRSlJAsv_GQ8uaZ3iu9DjN6jp9VoaIQG06kQ7K4T1IDoXgaiAJMRLYYJnAMMAivnQHxYKiGdV

(credit to Yō Yoshinari)

Though this network of Greater and Lesser Leylines has existed since creation itself, it is possible for new links in the chain to be created under the correct circumstances. New branches of Greater Leylines may traverse towards locations greatly saturated with magic, including but not limited to: Void Nodes, Groves, hallows, Thanhium deposits, and Arcane establishments. Such an event would be heralded by ethereal lights sprawling across the sky at the new location, often mistaken for an aurora. Once a Greater Leyline connects between two points, it will remain eternally.

Redlines-
Greater Leylines:
Locations of Greater Leylines are ultimately decided by the LT.
Any interaction with Greater Leylines must be overseen by a member of the MT.
After a location is designated as a place through which a Greater Leyline passes, players may look into using the Leyline as a source of fuel for a single magical feat at a time. A MArt must be submitted and approved on each occasion.
It is possible to repurpose an Anchored Leyline at intervals no less than a month at a time.
Artificial Leylines:
All Transfiguration rules apply 

Spoiler

I wrote this in an hour whilst being sleep deprived. Go easy on me :-)

Oh boy

Looking this over, it seems great.

I woke up at 1 PM shitfaced, so I'll just +1

23 minutes ago, Jaeden said:

am I going to have to connect the leyline networks to help out the nightfallen again?

In WoW, Leylines can't be changed, bent or twisted. They're Azeroth's veins in which her arcane lifeblood flows, the night fallen or more specifically high born established special pylons that simply tapped into the leylines and drew a small portion of mana from it. A small portion being enough to pretty much destroy most of these sites into ley ruins after the shattering since even a small amount of Azeroth's lifeblood is potent. 

In LoTC, the same logic should apply to Leylines as they'd be convergence points between void nodes and would therefore be too dangerous to handle as nothing would be able to store that much mana let alone manipulate said mana without exploding. It'd be too much power even for a very large group of mages and would require something like blood magic to even conceive.

Simply put, this is just more unneeded lore bloat made to benefit transfiguration and not the entire server.

The initial idea seems cool (I like the show you got the idea from) but a but shallow atm. If there are artificial lines I don’t think mages should be able to change the natural ones on their accord. 

It just needs more substance. Mana rivers and stuff already exists so it isn’t as if this is ground-breaking lore. I just wanna see some more specific interactions. 

5 hours ago, drfate786 said:

In WoW, Leylines can't be changed, bent or twisted. They're Azeroth's veins in which her arcane lifeblood flows, the night fallen or more specifically high born established special pylons that simply tapped into the leylines and drew a small portion of mana from it. A small portion being enough to pretty much destroy most of these sites into ley ruins after the shattering since even a small amount of Azeroth's lifeblood is potent. 

In LoTC, the same logic should apply to Leylines as they'd be convergence points between void nodes and would therefore be too dangerous to handle as nothing would be able to store that much mana let alone manipulate said mana without exploding. It'd be too much power even for a very large group of mages and would require something like blood magic to even conceive.

Simply put, this is just more unneeded lore bloat made to benefit transfiguration and not the entire server.

Mages have already been able to use void nodes to their benefit which is far more chaotic and powerful than ley lines. I highly doubt that this is made with the intention of benefitimg transfiguration. thats a very assumptious statement. 

With that said i like this lore as BNK said is a bit lacking in the greatness it can be. would be cool to see what happens if these ley lines converfed naturally to create cool areas/biomes like fantasy twilight forest esk lands. like 1 or 2 such regions per map. itd be dope.

Edited by Booklight12

But wait... Leylines have been a thing since Aegis and is what partially forms "pools" and "lakes" that we call Voidal nodes. Are you telling me they don't recognize that lore anymore? Leylines crisscrossing across reality forming a next of which all of creation is pretty much based on as a foundation that keeps the world intact through mystical means? 

13 minutes ago, Blundermore said:

But wait... Leylines have been a thing since Aegis and is what partially forms "pools" and "lakes" that we call Voidal nodes. Are you telling me they don't recognize that lore anymore? Leylines crisscrossing across reality forming a next of which all of creation is pretty much based on as a foundation that keeps the world intact through mystical means? 

Leylines have been a thing but theres no official lore on it and havent really been used for rp since... athera. why dont you help the loremaker hone the lore to fit preestablished rp around leylines? but tbh there isnt much

I was thinking about Leyline lore the other day, seems you beat me to it. I'm honestly more of a fan of the static Dungeons and Dragons Leylines, but this is cool in and of itself. If it's accepted then I'm sure it'll add some nice flavour RP but I find it difficult to see it being used outside of that. 

8 hours ago, PurpleCola said:

cool flavor but p unneeded.

I've had Leylines mentioned to me in RP a long time ago, and it's been subtly referenced around the forums.  This piece serves to clarify and create lore for something that probably should already exist in our lotc universe.

4 hours ago, Sir K Andruske said:

The initial idea seems cool (I like the show you got the idea from) but a but shallow atm. If there are artificial lines I don’t think mages should be able to change the natural ones on their accord. 

It just needs more substance. Mana rivers and stuff already exists so it isn’t as if this is ground-breaking lore. I just wanna see some more specific interactions. 

Artificial Leylines are just flavor for Transfig, and again are likely possible in the scope of the magic. Simply a means to concoct a simple, low impact, specific spell. Whereas manipulating Lesser Leylines in a sense is exactly the same as manipulating Air with Transmutation. It's written that way to tie in with that lore. Moreover, only the artwork is from the show. The concept is one that is observed by more spiritual or religious folk irl, and is touched on by many writers across various franchises. When tailoring this concept for lotc use it was pretty unavoidable that several comparisons could be drawn between it and perhaps WoW. 

As for it being a tad shallow, I guess my answer would have to be that it's a pretty simplistic concept. Not hard to understand and I could write in a deeper meaning but it would seem clunky imo. I'd rather leave it as an open, natural phenomenon.

Keep the comments and concerns coming, people! 

I'll have to reread some things in this but the lore seems pretty good overall. You did a good job in my opinion!

Thank you for submitting your piece! Expect a verdict in about 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, this piece has been denied. The team doesn't feel like leylines are particularly needed at the moment and there are similar pieces that achieve what the leylines do. 

Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.