[✗] Guardian Spirits of the Realm of the Fae

NomadGaia

Is there a tl;dr version of this?  Also, the format makes the text a little too small for me to read, personally.  Since it's so long I was wondering if you could do something about that so I can peruse it.

As someone said before though, No me gusta on unattuning one (regardless of what else I think).  If the idea is getting rid of one, consider a "banishment" or something similar that would remove the spirit.  It is simply impossible to unattune something that is essentially a coalescence of Druidic energy.  If they were a living body, yeah I get it.  But at that point the Druid would have transcended the need for the body, and effectively "unattuned" their entire souls from their body and then we get back around to it simply isn't possible.

I am not in support of this. Druidism doesn't need any more "endgame". We already have shape-shifting and soul trees to pursue once you're fairly high in Druidism, shape-shifting being extremely fun and useful and soul trees making you time-immortal and tougher in combat. Not to mention with Soul Trees already making you immortal, this seems like little more than a power-up with fluff.

Although time was clearly spent on this, I think it's not a good addition for Druidism.  -1

Dunno. I quite like it, but I think we either need to remove some of the other things we have to replace them, or somehow combine them, instead of just adding more. +0. I'm indifferent. Neat idea, and I'd love to see something of it one day, but I don't think it would work with how much there is already.

This provides another endgame, i like the idea but endgames should never exist for the most part, the only 'endgame' i can agree with is Celestialism which brandnewkitten made

This does not seem balanced, in that if someone is looking to create the most powerful druid possible, a guardian spirit would be the only way to go as you would get new magic AND get to keep all your old magic? Eh? The drawbacks are really the bare minimum of standard spirit weaknesses and "You come back this way instead of through the monks or a soul tree."

Next, this does seem to do a bit of an end run around shapeshifting imo. You can possess an animal? Ehhhh. That's really pushing it.

Then there's also the fact that druids are basically obligated to revere these creatures. Why wouldn't they? They are beings of pure druidic energy who were former respected druids serving the Aspects will more directly and even more powerful than before.

Personally, I don't mind alternate states of being for a druid, but they can't simply be more powerful versions of druids. That just makes becoming them a power grab. You want a good step toward making this thing palatable to me that may be unpopular? Take away some normal druid abilities when they become this. Have them trade some of their existing magic for their new abilities. Make it something where the druid has to weigh what aspects of druidism are important to them. A good one to take away, actually, would be Control. Control lets the guardian spirit do an end run around being unable to directly manipulate physical objects by having roots and vines do it for them or manipulate the physical world in other ways that they just can't as spirits. Without Control, being a spirit becomes a much more significant drawback for these abilities. I would also add in taking away Shapeshifting if they have it because that would let them take a physical form. (And hey, you have your end run around shapeshifting anyway so why have both that and shapeshifting?)

Overall, I just can't support this thing in its current state.

This is some top shelf lore but druids have two endgames already. Why the need for power creep when druids don't even have any natural predators and a full roster of powerful abilities. 

-1 for implementation(+5 for interesting lore)

You know, I'm usually against stuff that leads to an end game that is boring, i.e soul trees, but I really think that Gaia has worked out something interesting that isn't too OP and too annoying for the rest of us. I think that his lore deserves a fair shot, even if it is... Druid lore. I think that this would be a significant replacement to the shitty treelord lore, this goes out of its way to try and provide an overall balanced thing for the druids.

Also endgames are not bad, I think, its just the people who get endgames sometimes are shitty. The lotc community unjustly denies a lot of creativity sometimes just because they think it makes them stronger in character.

Please no, I don't want feral-treelord-ghost Druids that are even more unkillable, you already have two endgames, and let's just say this is a bit over powered

Just a bit of a clarification, Ferals are not able to become Spirit Guardians due to their altered souls. 

Also, I would assume they can't retain a soul tree since their soul can't both be in a tree and wandering around as a ghost at the same time.

Please do not take anything I say personally - it can come off as crass and rude and I would simply say that I am passionate about Druid lore, and am therefore incredibly critical of it. 

Alright.  This is a negative from me.

As far as endgames go, I don't care one way or the other.  I love ideas for this sort of thing and the concept itself I think is super interesting and not far off from what Ouity was thinking a year or two ago.  But I take issue with several parts of this lore and its direction.

In no particular order:

3 hours ago, GaiaLoTC said:

Above all else, Guardian Spirits must not stray from their path, or they risk losing sight of their mission on Æos. They must be pillars of the druidic faith, spreading it amongst the descendants, guiding others in pursuit of attaining true balance. Should they fail in this mission, or stray from the path, the aspects themselves recall the spirits to the Domain of the Fae, to learn more and be returned to the path. They are not allowed to return to the realm of the living.

The Aspects could care less what goes on in the mortal world between people.  The Aspects were never designed to interact with players directly in any way.  This is less of a jab at this lore, but previous precedents missed the mark in that regard.  We hear from the Aspects about as much as we hear from God in the real world.

To suggest that a person would be denied re-entry because of actions on the earthly plane is to fundamentally not understand the nature of the Aspects (no pun intended).

These Spirits are considered demigods in the realm of the fae, and their power and influence are known to all creatures, big and small. These are wise men, oracles. Powerful spirits that are the chosen of the aspects. Their potential is limitless in the realm of the Fae, where they and the aspects reign supreme. They are keepers of the balance, and stalwart guardians of nature and the fae.

It only follows that some of that power travels with them to the mortal plane. In life, they had such druidic abilities as communion, to control the very way life grew around them. Some had the ability to shift into fauna of the land, of their spirit. Others could imbue herbs and plants with druidic energy, to bring out their inner potential. They retain this all in the afterlife, to the full extent they could use it in life, in order to aid in their mission of guiding the descendents toward a better understanding of the balance, and life as they know it.

With the mortal coils that once bound druii to flesh gone, their potential is unlocked in the realm of the mortals, allowing them abilities beyond the scope of any normal druidic abilities. By ascending in death, new paths of druidism are unlocked in the mind, fueled by the pure fae energies that make up these spirits, in order to help aid the soulbound servants in their endless quest to serve the aspects and protect the balance of life and death. This ancient, and powerful technique was used by old spirits in the time before the ritual was lost in order to aid Druids in fighting off the forces of the dark, to assist against threats too great for normal druii to fight against. In addition to this new power, Guardian Spirits are able to access a few new lesser abilities, learned through their close attunement with the aspects.

I hate this.  I'm sorry.  I love the idea, an ancient Druidic Spirit bestowing powers to a lesser Druid as a boon, that's ******* awesome.  But these powers for one thing I think are paltry and silly in many regards, and wholly unnecessary.  Furthermore these abilities aren't in line with the Druid's own strengths either.  I get that you want to add more abilities, but instead of doing that I would suggest allowing them to go beyond tier 5 in abilities, and bestow that strength to other druids, or even remove certain red lines from existing abilities in these heightened states.  No need to continue re-inventing the wheel.

But above all, a great weakness lies in their own kind. Guardian Spirits are still capable of being unattuned by their fellow druii. This act banishes the guardian spirit entirely and permanently ends their soul.With no realm to go to and no body to return to, they simply fade into nothingness.

As I said earlier, unattunement after everything you have established with this lore would most definitely be impossible.  Some have argued with me that because their soul is still attuned it can still be severed.  But to that I say that at that point it would be far beyond the power of the Druids to sever such a connection.  It would simply be too strong for their own abilities to touch.  Furthermore I think it would take a very large amount of powerful Druids to permanently banish the spirit.  

Perhaps a few druids could banish the spirit back to the fae, and then if enough tier 5 Druids gathered they could permanently do it if at the original guardian circle?

Finally I can't help but think this simply is an echo of Soul Trees that add extra powers.  I mean here are TL;DR versions of both Soul trees and Guardian Spirits in their most simplistic forms:

• Old Druids sacrifice their life to transfer their soul
  • If killed, cannot return for some time
  • Druid is immortal now unless unattuned
  • etc

All that said, I like the concept, and I also really enjoy the writing! You did a good job writing the lore, but to me I don't think it's something overall that is not suited for the Druids.  With a direction rework it would be a great boon though.  

And since you can't complain without offering solutions, here are my own suggestions here.

• Rework the Unattunement portion
  • Undo most of the abilities to interact with the world physically.  Let the sacrifice of body mean something.  Let them manifest in spirit form, let them even use their powers but limit their activities.  That would give the ability to grant power to other Druids even more significance.
  • On the subject of powers, don't kill yourself trying to come up with new powers.  Let it enhance past tier 5, and even remove certain red lines for a temporary span of time.
  • Remove the bit about the Aspects barring them from re-entering for engaging in political stuff.  I apologize for the disrespect, but that's really dumb.
  • Expand on the corruption section, a villain spirit would be most interesting.  Don't make the corrupted spirit die after a certain period of time, it undermines how devastating a corrupted spirit has the potential to be.  Make it so they must be banished back to the Fae in order to be restored or something.
  • EDIT: Spirit manifestation - I really don't see any reason to allow them to manifest as whatever they want.  It should be as they left the world, my own personal opinion.
Edited by Song Druid

I havent read this yet, but dont we have a "no new lore" thing going on?

Just now, Fury_Fire said:

Then it can be up until there can be "more new lore"

3 minutes ago, Fury_Fire said:

Not so much no new lore, rather lore won't be reviewed until near the end of February.