Treshure

[GM] The case against Child GMs

3 minutes ago, Space said:

yes i think we should mandate an IQ test for every gm...

no this is dumb and unnecessary. to say that people who are younger could on average be less fit for the role of gm is fine, but to suggest that means an outright ban is stupid. you judge each person as a whole not how old they are-- there've been definitely 'bad' GMs that were in their 20s, and 'good' GMs in their teens. It's stupid to put some arbitrary age like 'at 18 you are fit to be gm!' (well, in general); judge people on their merit.

if you wanted to eliminate bias or **** being handled poorly than you have a lot of avenues to go down before issuing some blanket ban (maybe decisions should be more collective, maybe GMs should be forced to recuse themselves from some matters, maybe leadership shouldn't be so centralized on moderation team, etc)

One way to cease any bias is to mandate all GM's to file ban reports for every ban. Each and every ban should be logged publicly so that every member of the community can see it. This would mean that if a ban was questionable the community would see it and could call for the GM in question's removal or punishment. 

Treshure no offense man but stop being a hardo, only kids play this game 

15 minutes ago, Fireheart said:

There have been small steps over time to address this issue with one of the biggest being anonymous staff reports. Though I feel your point misses the mark with the current team. To my knowledge, there are only like two GM's that are under 16 with the majority being out of high school and 18+. I see the two points you are making, but do not see how they line up exactly.

Reveal hidden contents

p.s. im not 12 i swearz

anon staff report are a terrible and flawed system

I've done a review to the current GM's according to their ages:

Cloakedsphere: 22

ElfenLie: 21

Evocress: 21

Sir_Niccum: 21

Paleo: 20

Ioannis: 20

neopsychedelia: 20

Suxals: 19

Fireheart: 19

potent_rage: 19

Fawbole: 17

Stigwig: 16

Bunemma: 16 but birthday is 1st april so she's probably 15

Nate1450: 15

z3m0s:

12?

Harold: 10

In other words, the server is ran by a few adults that vary greatly in all shades of bias where very, rare few, are unbiased, and none of them work to dedicate time they could be doing something useful with their lives to give us mostly a fairly less pleasant experience by taking sides and allowing to be cherrypicked.

But I don't really care if someone's mature or not, what defines someone as mature is if they'll kick you for saying racial slurs and typing straight up their age, showing shame for it. Sometimes I feel like the server is ran by a gang of brazilian shirtless favela toddlers with guns that can be used to ban people at their own discretion.

Regardless, there are good people in the staff team that you can rely on and there are some that will have no issues as long as you don't PvP or disagree with them.

2 hours ago, Treshure said:

We once praised Availer for treating the server like a business. He would spit on LotC’s name if he discovered the higher echelons of the staff team are filled by children with underdeveloped brains

Availer had like a 13 year old GM, so I mean I disagree with you there buddy

1 hour ago, InfamousGerman said:

don't get me started on those man

I think that the criteria by which we should judge moderators is their actions, rather than their age. However, that being said there is a lot to the argument that younger players are statistically less fit to be in leadership positions than their older counterparts. The solution is not to bar younger community members from moderation positions, but rather to keep in mind when picking community members for moderation positions the actual situation with younger players; and make an informed decision based on their age, behavior, experience and overall character.

Its important to find people who understand the impact that a moderator has on a community, and know generally how their actions will be reacted to. If that can be found in younger players, there is little reason to bar them; however the criteria should never be lowered or even altered given someones age, gender or any form of disability. Personally, I doubt that should these standards be applied in the search for new Game Team members there would be as many issues as there are currently.

That being said, I have no idea what the selection process is for new GMs, so i'll keep my critique to just what the best case scenario could be, rather than what is actually happening.

I will be 15 in 2019!

+1/2

I've seen too many circle jerks when it comes to power. Not only in LOTC. This is why if I wanted to apply for any staff position- no matter how insignificant- I plan to wait until this summer when I'm 18. Even though I am more mature than most 18-year-olds.  I would have also wanted to have lots of training because I do NOT like to make mistakes. I want to be very certain and steadfast in my decisions with no doubts. The reason I would wait until I was 18- was so that when I applied.. I would already have the maturity, but now I would have the age to back it up to whoever views my application.

While I consider age a large factor, it's not the entirety of it. I believe that Age and Maturity are different things- and therefore I see no reason to bar a young player from being on staff, but only if they have the mental capacity and maturity to handle the position. They also need character, for they are applying to be leaders of a server- and many people look up to their leaders whether it's apparent or not. Thus, if a leader is misbehaving because he or she is not truly fit for the position- what does that say to the players? 

Age should be a part, but Maturity, Character, Mental Capacity, and Self-Control must be a part of this. You must be willing to punish your friends, even if they hate you afterward. Maturity needs to be a HUGE part! I know from experience; while I am not 18 yet- everyone has told me my maturity is well beyond my age. Another example is a student at my school, I will refer to her as Poppy in this post.

Poppy is 18, but she has the mental capacity and maturity of an 8-year-old. I do not kid around when I say this: She likes Justin Bieber, screams at any insect whether it's drawn or fake or real- and hears everything wrong and overreacts to everything. She hates us all because we don't like her-

Would she be fit to be a GM?

No, not at all. Her behavior towards others is to make her enemies miserable, or anyone who doesn't like her. Poppy is unfit and would stumble around, not accept any training, and would ultimately abuse power.

All because whoever accepted her application- accepted her... an 18-year-old with no maturity, over a 10-year-old with tons of maturity.

3 hours ago, InfamousGerman said:

haha u would know about that

6 hours ago, drfate786 said:

One way to cease any bias is to mandate all GM's to file ban reports for every ban. Each and every ban should be logged publicly so that every member of the community can see it. This would mean that if a ban was questionable the community would see it and could call for the GM in question's removal or punishment. 

Bans aren't logged publicly because IP Addresses are in them. Also, that is already a thing, if a ban is wrong then the player banned can explain the situation the GM told them about. A lot of the words Treshure speaks on the thread ring true, despite some glaring flaws in it, I was also a teen-aged moderator and I feel I did well, but do you really want to give kids a job this stressful? I only just turned 18 and I look back to my time as a GM the first 2 times as a period of learning and a stressful one at that.

I always have believed in merit over age, but even now I continue to question it because of the study Treshure has cited in reference to brain development.