Treshure

[GM] The case against Child GMs

6 hours ago, Hyena said:

I don't know about anyone else but I personally don't want to be publicly shamed for my bans unless I choose to tell people. You aren't catching biased/bad GMs you're just publicly shaming and outing people in a way that will enable the entire community to be toxic towards them if they don't like them. The way people acted when the server first started was also 10000 times different from how they are today. Go look at people from 2011/2012's post history from then and compare that to how they act now. We've all changed and the server has changed for good reason.

Well you volunteered for the role, it's not like you've been reluctantly pushed into the limelight. If you can't face the community with confidence that what you have done was right, then the chances are you were wrong and should face the scrutiny of your peers.

2 minutes ago, Fyrste said:

Well you volunteered for the role, it's not like you've been reluctantly pushed into the limelight. If you can't face the community with confidence that what you have done was right, then the chances are you were wrong and should face the scrutiny of your peers.

I got a two week ban because last map my character sniffed a chick in Haense. It was considered "Illegal raiding". Didn't do anything villainous to her, either, just sniffed her and ran off. Definitely didn't volunteer for that role, unless by volunteer you mean I chose to play this server. To an extent the community doesn't care about right and wrong, they care about who is on their side and who isn't. I'd also like to note that my ban was overturned a few hours later by the GM managers. 

5 hours ago, Hyena said:

I got a two week ban because last map my character sniffed a chick in Haense. It was considered "Illegal raiding". Didn't do anything villainous to her, either, just sniffed her and ran off. Definitely didn't volunteer for that role, unless by volunteer you mean I chose to play this server. To an extent the community doesn't care about right and wrong, they care about who is on their side and who isn't. I'd also like to note that my ban was overturned a few hours later by the GM managers. 

I thought you were saying that as a mod you don't want people to see who you are banning and for what reasons. So what you really mean is that you don't want the public to see the reasons for your ban because they might be embarrassing? If a GM had to publicly post the ban, the reasons for ban, and the evidence for it, then you would never have been banned for sniffing someone in the first place

1 minute ago, Fyrste said:

I thought you were saying that as a mod you don't want people to see who you are banning and for what reasons. So what you really mean is that you don't want the public to see the reasons for your ban because they might be embarrassing? If a GM had to publicly post the ban, the reasons for ban, and the evidence for it, then you would never have been banned for sniffing someone in the first place

I'm a forum moderator, not a GM, but that said, from a moderator position I don't think people should be publicly shamed for what they've done to warrant a ban. There are also groups who wear their bans like a badge of honor. Making bans public just encourages those groups further. I don't think alerting the public as to why someone was banned is very professional. If they want to tell people, that is one thing. If they are publicly ostracized...it just reflects poorly on the server as a whole and enables people to witch hunt even more than they already do. I think I would have been banned regardless of whether or not they had to make it public. 

I agree that treating the server like a business would go a long way in making it better, as what better insentive to improve a server, community and forum than to make some money out of it?

When I first became a GM I was 14 years old. It's pretty young however I don't feel that I abused my position at all due to emotional in-capabilities. Some people are just more suited for the role than other are, and IMO it should be treated with a case-by-case basis. Ruling out all members of a certain age group because some of them aren't suited for the role is the wrong way to go. 

It depends on the adolescent. Sometimes life experiences can lead to some becoming more mentally mature before others. Bad homes, bad life choices, etc. There are some very bright and responsible U18's out there, which is why it would be nice to give everyone a chance who makes it past the initial application process. Perhaps tests put in place by higher GM's to test the problem solving capability of new members. Could be staged, could be real instances where a GM's descisions are actually needed.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.