Snow Elf Creation Guide

bickando

THE MALI'FENN, FOURTH EDITION

BY EDEL

400px-snelfysnelf.png

There is no greater endeavor than making a Snow Elf. "Why?", you may ask yourself in a somewhat angry whisper, ready to post your grievances with 2013-2016's voted #1 Most Cancerous Culture on LotC, and 2017's Most Cancerous Subrace. Well, it should be obvious.

I wrote the lore.

APPEARANCE

The first and most important issue, I think, when creating a new Snow Elf is the features. We operate in a very small set of allowed appearances, like High Elves on steroids. Here are a few:

image.png.c9041597b3eb4a5b8503fe0dabb8e6ee.pngimage.png.050e28260802f14613f2a37f5ad4b380.pngimage.png.7419bacef58c305a55130e9223a8af79.png

image.png.95a03571c7d42e70b84df81e1cd98477.pngimage.png.990611c8d5b5e03aeee5648734535674.pngimage.png.4f44b862611f6e2cfe1aa3a2b1fc23e5.png

As you can see, there's a common theme here.

They're all white

They all have common features, and a pretty distinct style. Snow Elves are always pale, always white to blonde haired, and always have elf ears. In roleplay, they have very angular facial features, high cheekbones, and are about the height of a modern American. Deviation from this means one of two things - you haven't read this guide, or your character is not a pure Snow Elf (that means, in modern context, has blood mixed with other than Snow or High Elven). Actually, a Snow Elf could be mistaken for a pale looking High Elf on appearance alone.

CULTURE

Generally, Snow Elves follow the culture of the Princedom of Fenn, as while the two are theoretically not bound, they are in practicality. I will, or someone else will, be making a thread on the culture in the near future and linking it here, but the gist is this - the Mali'fenn dislike magic, are painfully proud (but not necessarily condescending), and are very legally progressive. That is to say, as long as you're a Mali'fenn that doesn't really use magic, you'll enjoy all the same rights as everyone but the Grand Prince himself. There are plenty of festivals, plenty of bars and taverns and inns, and a very structured and bureaucratic lifestyle based around the Guilds.

As the Mali'fenn rely on money many times less than their counterparts in other nations, with housing being free of tax in general, to get anywhere in the Princedom one must be in one of the three guilds. The Bilok'thuln handle resource gathering-related work and the economy at large, the Ivae'fenn is the military (often considered Fenn's strong point, with high individual quality but pretty low numbers), and Wyrvun'fiyem, the state religion. 

The two sayings, "thill'al" and "chul o'tilru", mean "achievement of purity" and "to serve is a must" respectively. They sum up what it means, in essence, to be a Snow Elf or to have their mindset. From a young age, these two values shape Mali'fenn so long as they come from a Fennic background. Thill'al has led to the sense of pride when comparing themselves to other races and subraces, and to what they believe is correct in many circumstances. Chul o'tilru has created a working environment almost wholly centered around the government as opposed to privatized investments.

You have the most freedom when it comes to the behavior of your Snow Elf. Kind, empathetic, wroth, lustful, as much as I dislike the last one, almost the entire spectrum except for severe laziness (which is generally 'taught' out of children at an early age) can be found within the Snow Elves. You don't have to be a jerk to other races, nor do you have to like them at all. You can and are encouraged to have your character marry for love rather than any politics. More problematic for you, I think, will be the OOC lines.

THERE ARE RED LINES FOR SNOW ELVES

And here they are:

To breed with a non Snow Elf, you need a roll of 97/100. This is an OOC rule, set by me in the original lore and approved by the staff. To breed at all, you need a 95/100. The Snow Elves are, as of the writing of this post, the only subrace to have an enforced OOC rule to pregnancy, and it won't go away as long as I can keep it here. Elven families are not supposed to be the giant, confusing mess they often are today, and I intend to keep Snow Elves to a certain level in that regard.

Snow Elves go crazy at 650, and the vast majority are under 300. Because of IC events, called the "Seven Purges" if you can find an old enough Snow Elf, there are very few of the older generation left. Even if there are, the imperfection of the cure afforded them often drives them insane at an age nearly 400 years younger than the next.

Magic cannot be learned over a certain limit, though strength is higher in general. You can never learn over 1 main and 3 subtypes, even if you devoted your entire life to it. The upside is that Snow Elves are naturally stronger than the average Elf. This rule is technically a soft limit, but I would say you shouldn't break it.

Seriously don't break the features lines. There is no such thing as a red haired or a tanned Snow Elf and if I see one I will literally purge you.

I'll post more when I have time.