B A T T L E F I E L D

FIRST PUBLISHED AT MARNA MDCXLII

BY THE RENOWNED

M A R Q U I S

E L AN  

D E

O U S T  M A R S

[[ O O C   P R E F A C E ]]

I shall be writing this lore post in an in-game style, as to reflect the effort of the characters involved in rediscovering the methods and rationale in allowing this to happen once again. We all know that this is not my first posting on the topic, and certainly not the first posting in general.Vive la Victoire!

Accompanying the RP post shall be a mechanical post, detailing how the gunpowder weaponry shall operate both IN-CHARACTER and MECHANICALLY.

C O N T E N T S

1. THE LOST ART OF CASTING

2. THE ADDITION OF BORECRAFT

3. THE COMBUSTIVE PROPERTIES OF SALTS

4. THE SCIENCE OF CALIBRE

ARro1Ww5CwiHy_KjvP5osqAeZQl3G_ZQ7nH_pXBVna-MxfIGMAbX0L2mg6YJdok4CBHTHoXY65qxdksHBWNaUwjgG_RiMn-LONcCZa7uUbHXnQLUJmamaAqrxJBQwQXCh6THhJ0s

qKgCRH3MSZpE9izvdIISJXj2F1K4DYpfT8F1OJrT6-3mzdkY_KbfmFAHhgfre1ycHtPXFQuPAUZbdy0Z9VcXbZ0VMsD3r5xZXf1U7m0xVXkfoExFcopVcTtr5vnPXg-UhGVNiFJe

INTRODUCTION

THE Act of forging and gunsmithing is, although popularly lost to time, not a dead art. The most recent practitioners of this have been the DWED, with their forging of RUNECANNONS.

The Lore

Cannons have been known to the four races before, until one of the key sources of ignition was lost due to geographical movement and little raw nitrate ore could be found within the new continents. The lack of the chief ingredient of the explosive powder forced a stop to most artillery production, as a cannon without propellant was of no use at all. However, in the late 17th century it made a startling comeback in a most unexpected source. Throughout the centuries, peasant farmers used a roundabout way of manufacturing the craved ingredient that the  world has long forgotten about, at least in scientific circles. Over the course of a year in a peasant household, a large tub in a separate cellar from the house would be filled with the feces of both human and animal residents. By the month's end, it would be an extremely foul mess of decaying and composting material - which would then be dumped piecemeal into another large bin of boiling water. Left over the course of a few days with a dumping of wood shavings, a thin white crystalline scum would form overtop, and be siphoned off. This substance called ‘Calfgut’ would then be stored and used as meat preservation, a substitute for brine where none could be had. Little did the average peasant know however, that this ‘Calfgut’ was in fact the Nitre of old Asulon and Aegis, and of incredible value as a principal part of the manufacture of powder.

The exact discovery of this occurred in the late 17th century, a chemist finally made the connection between Nitre and Calfgut, and seized upon it. Most of the 13th century scrolls of the manufacture had however not been preserved, due to the utter lack of need for their recipes with the absence of Nitre, thus the method of mixing had to be rediscovered. This so far was the largest hitch in the rediscovery of the powder - mixing it with every alchemical substance they could find, from iron fillings to bark to thanium powder to vegetable dust. Eventually, the exhaustive list of substances were ruled down to a smaller list, involving sulphur, Nitre and charcoal.

The ratios were another lost puzzle piece, and it took a great deal of funding, explosions and time to rediscover a sensible ratio - the powder being mostly Nitre, to keep the more volatile ingredients from exploding from static contact, pressure or heat. Once that puzzle piece fit in, it was time to learn how to cast cannons, which would be another issue entirely. The basic concept was of course there, that much had not been lost, but the finicky techniques of keeping the cannon together was a mystery to be solved.

Inspirations were taken from Manna cannons, at least in form - but the forges of the Empire had not been equipped or built to deal with casting for anything larger than a suit of armour. Clearly, larger industry was needed. Of course with most mould casting, a divot in rock or hardened clay is made with the molten metal poured into it, then cooled and refined into whatever it may be, an arrowhead or a spear point. For the casting of one-piece cannons, a different method would have to be found. A number of methods were tried, with mixed success, until a clever man by the name of [Placeholder reference name] invented a casting method of clay and sand casting, making a hollow mould, that with sufficient reinforcement and size could carry the weight of a cannon.

The Mechanics

Mechanically we have two different fields here, cannons for sieges and battles, and muskets and pistols for day to day useage.

Cannons on the battlefield are a simpler beast to deal with, both in RP and PVP mechanically. I have always thought there is extremely little difference between a cannon and a catapult in LotC due to the mechanics of how we use them. A GM reads a code as to how to ‘play’ the cannon, and once operated successfully by a crew, the GM would then ‘fire’ the cannon, and based upon the pre-written code, do damage accordingly. The code will be as follows.

Firstly, a cannon must be built to specification.

4 Blocks of Gold long

2 Iron Grates on the ‘Scary’ end.

One button on the back.

Once the cannon is properly built, a team of men will have to go through the proper emotes as to work it before it can fire, as any other piece of LotC siege machinery.

A man must take a powder charge and stuff it in the barrel.

A man must then load a stone ball shot.

Ram the shot in.

Lock the wheels in place if on land, push it forward if on sea.

Punch a needle through the ignition hole.

Apply the the fire via smouldering stick.

Fire the cannon.

Swab the cannon.

Repeat.

Now, the actual effects of the cannon will depend on the substance being fired upon. For anti-infantry attacks, I would suggest a firecharge be thrown launched from a dispenser that could sit on the front of the cannon.

As for siege mechanics, that’s a different animal altogether, but not so difficult to tackle, I reckon. It would depend on two factors - the size of the cannon, and the material and size of the wall.

Should the cannon be a 1x4 barrel culverin, one block may be removed if the substance the target hits is wooden, or a wall of stone 1 block deep.

Should the cannon be a large barrel bombard of 1x1x5 it will do five to six blocks worth of damage to a wooden structure, or stone structure of one blocks depth. Should a stone wall be more than one block in depth, it will do one or two block’s damage to the structure.

Muskets

With Cannons done, I would now like to move onto the matchlock rifle and pistol. The deep seated fear in the community is that the weapons will be overpowered, overused, and abused like any other incredibly powerful magic or tool. My idea is to mostly circumnavigate this by implementing a physical, mechanical series of weapons using the old Anthos staff model. This would work to the servers benefit in two ways.

To Refresh, in Anthos, there were charged staves that shot out a line of fire that upon hitting someone did a large amount of damage and did minor knockback. Essentially, an arrow that didn’t drop down, but travelled straight. Coupled with a long reload time, you essentially have a mechanical PVP rifle. Long reload? Check. Ammunition in the form of Emeralds? Check. Straight fire shooting and little skill to use? Check.

Because of the complexity, and let’s face it - the danger of powergaming, nobody wants to see every old peasant whip out a preloaded matchlock and sock a bullet into the Emperor’s chest - I would mandate that to rp using a pistol or musket, you must have the MC item on your person as well, or the RP is considered void.

In order to build these muskets and handguns, I believe the best way to regulate it would to either put it behind a fairly skillful tinkerer and smith - for the parts and assembly, of course, make it a multi-skill build, or have GMs name the item as someone in RP builds it. Both would make the process slow, and give rarity to the items.

The obtaining of gunpowder could remain as it is in Nexus crafting, or it could be edited to reflect the methods of which it’s gathered - which would take some plugin crafting. I would suggest a drop of poop when you kill cows, then you put the poop into a cauldron and boil it into Nitre/Gunpowder, or go the extra mile and make them combine it with charcoal and ‘Sulphur’ (Possibly a drop of magma powder while mining), then combine all of that into gunpowder.

Mechanically, they would work like the staffs of Anthos did.

Slow reload, five to ten seconds.

Consumable ammunition, a firework charge.

Incredibly high damage output - enough to pop a man in full iron armour.

As for the RP useage of the matchlock weapons, that is another can of worms entirely. Like every other form of RP, it is susceptible to idiocy, and unfortunately we cannot make a rule against that. However, we can try our best with clear, concise guidelines. It’s too heavy handed to write every single rule for these, but here are a series of guidelines that might have a go at reducing the abuse these weapons might face.

As with all weaponry of a ranged variety, it cannot be a one shot weapon.

Due to the burning wick nature of the matchlock, the fuse must be lit as an RP action before use.

If it is raining and outdoors, make sure you notice this. The gun will not work.

Although a gun, it is by no means a modern weapon. Wounds are eminently survivable, and no more dangerous than a crossbow bolt or arrow. In some cases, less damaging.

Muskets can be carried preloaded, but the pan must still be filled with ignition powder and the wick must be lit before they are fired.

Now, because of the nature of people (inherently noob), a roll system would be the best way to settle disputes before they happen with range and accuracy citations and all that garbage we see with crossbows.

If it is not raining, the shooter must roll for a successful ignition, and score 5+/20. (Roll over 5 to fire your musket.) If the shooter rolls under a 5, they must emote putting powder into the pan of their musket again.

Instead of the shooter rolling for accuracy, the target will roll for it instead. To not be hit, the person being shot at must roll above 15/20. (Roll over 15 to not get hit by a musket.)

Any shot that lands (the victim rolls below 15/20) will translate into a wound, with the lower number increasing the severity and accuracy. Should a man fire, and the shot victim rolls a 1, the shot would find it’s mark and be as damaging as possible. (The closer your roll is to 1, the more injured you are.)

At extremely close ranges - two blocks or less, (I.E. execution-type scenarios where the target is not moving very fast or immobilized.), the shooter will roll for ignition, like any other scenario. The target, however, will be hit no matter what.

When you fire the weapon, you must announce over shout: [!] A Gunshot echoes over the landscape. [!]

sorry for the formatting but thats lotc forums ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Hanrahan

T H E   T E X T, BLACK MUST BE SWITCHED

I am admittedly very very apprehsive about the addition of any form of firearms back onto Lord of The Craft. Medesculators were an absolute trainwreck.

Likewise, the Anthos magic blasters were removed, cause you could shoot, than get your sword back out for the cooldown, than upon the cooldown finishing have another shot loaded and ready. This made them not a roleplyable magic staff, but an auto-reloading bazooka.

The magic staves in Anthos likewise had a small damage output, and were heavilly abused. Imagine how bad it would get if able to defeat people in one hit!

There will need to be heavy changes to achieve any sort of balance mechanically.

I'm down with the idea of having cannons on the server, but absolutely no muskets or guns of any sort.

4 hours ago, Quavinir_Twiceborn said:

I am admittedly very very apprehsive about the addition of any form of firearms back onto Lord of The Craft. Medesculators were an absolute trainwreck.

Likewise, the Anthos magic blasters were removed, cause you could shoot, than get your sword back out for the cooldown, than upon the cooldown finishing have another shot loaded and ready. This made them not a roleplyable magic staff, but an auto-reloading bazooka.

The magic staves in Anthos likewise had a small damage output, and were heavilly abused. Imagine how bad it would get if able to defeat people in one hit!

There will need to be heavy changes to achieve any sort of balance mechanically.

cough cough

RUNE CANNONS are still around.

You mention Gunpowder still being made like it is in Nexu crafting in this suggestion, however Nexus crafting isn’t a thing anymore and Gunpowder cannot be made that way. You might want to change that in you suggestion.

Cannons sure, but not portable firearms. I do not enjoy the kind of rp we already get from Crossbows already and Guns wouldn't contribute anything meaningful or interesting. They'll just end up being another item people 'have' pull out real fast and shoot from across the room because it was 'preloaded'. Though your actual writing was really good.

Yes please. The staff have tossed aside developement for too longs.

1 hour ago, SeventhCircle said:

Guns wouldn't contribute anything meaningful or interesting

I think RP would take place, in the Orcs for instance conflict could be held whether or not the introduction of firearms are ruining ancient culture, pirates would be possible, etc. There are alot of things guns could contribute to.

The only thing I see coming from adding guns to the server currently would be yet more combat issues or trolling (like the disaster known as medesculators). 

Cannons for stuff like warclaims or big rp events would be neato but biiiiiiig no to smaller, portable versions. At least until staff figures out a way to better moderate/improve rp combat.

I'm totally up for gunpowder weapons being added onto lotc (the primitive kind that took ten seconds or more to reload and was not very accurate) since they would add some interesting things into RP, if rp'd correctly.
there would have to be very strict rules about them, how long it takes to reload, how much you have to roll to hit, since we all know how it went when medesculors were a thing, that powergamed joke of an item.

I also don't think they should be a pvp item, the pvp is fine as is now, we don't need a reintroduction of overpowered items that ruin any track of fairness in combat, like carbarum or the magic wands, but this time a one-shot cooldown item, no thanks, no need, the pvp nations would overuse them, and people with many players could easily get their hands on one each because of how much money they make and set up a gun line and yeah you can see the problem, it would lead to so much bullshit in pvp, its fine as is, it this gets approved, keep it as a RP item only, and have strict rules for it.
Such as, no pre-loading, since that wouldn't really work with flintlock weapons anyway, the ammunition would move around inside the barell and not have any effect if you tried to fire it after a walk, and have a requirement of five or four emotes to reload, as well as you actually having to rply get your hands on one of them and have a item for it to be able to rp with them (by making one and modreqing to get a item, or buying one from someone who has it, of course there would be a limit to how many you can make and who could make them, maybe there would have to be an application on the forums like a magic app but for gunpowder weapons, something like that to regulate them, or maybe keep them as a ET thing so you get them from events or suchlike)

And as africanese said, they would throw up RP combat and culture quite a bit. currently rp combat is dominated by plate armour and longsword/polearms, just like irl late medieval times were, if a few gunpowder weapons were thrown into the mix the orcs would have some serious issues with how their warrior culture works, and the entire way of how rp combat works with armour and stuff would change, making it more interesting (if rp'd correctly)

I approve of Gunpowder and all features brought to lotc.

I'd like to see gunpowder and cannons, I wouldn't like to see any form of gun/calibre. Why? Because if people can't roleplay magic properly then what are the odds of them abusing muskets to one shot people? If you do want to have them roll to settle disputes then the roll should account for the ridiculous inaccuracy of muskets. Making the defendants roll 20 and the musket's a roll of five. If the person rolls less then what the musket rolls, it'll be a hit.

I guess that such lore would only make sense if "gunpowder guns and co." get added into Minecraft itself. Or it only leads to problems, because look into the past and you'll see the world from below.

Edited by The Fact Core

In my opinion I think adding some form of advancement towards gunpowder and the weapons they bring would be fun. However I agree as well that to make them into portable weapons there should be heavy restrictions such as the chance that it explodes on you it jams or misfires, and being able to walk around with loaded should be a big no. But al in all I would love to see some sort of tech advancement in this direction