[✗] [Aengudaemon Rewrite] Wyrvun, Lord of the Deep Cold

bickando

Just now, Josh3738 said:

If you want to make a magic, write lore for that magic. Don't try bending an old aengul who has run his course through entire eventlines already to try to eventually benefit your special snowflake subrace with its own deity magic. (Pun entirely intended.)

Explain to me how this rewrite affects the eventline that Wyrvun was apart of. This is not an attempt to overrule what was already written and established, but to further flesh him out. It's like you haven't even read the actual lore piece.

In your time on LotC, you've proceeded to take Wyrvun as a personal deity of your char Zahrer, getting Wyrvun removed from the Brathmordakin so that you could sit around with your MART that allows you to talk with Wyrvun. You've been using him as your personal deity and counter this lore only because you see it is a threat to that, despite barely even playing this server anymore.

That's genuinely disgusting.

Just now, Treaty said:

We made a lore submission to help further our roleplay. i do not see a place where we tagged druids to come here and start commenting on lore they have nothing to do with. Now, If you think this is something to "hate" on druids, clearly the hate begun with you coming onto a completely druid unrelated thread, and commenting on something just because it was a snow elf post.

Uh, the lore post includes Cernunnos which is one of the Druidic patrons so yeah they do actually have something to do with it and it is druid related... 

Also everyone can comment on lore posts, the submissions are literally meant to be open to peer reviewal and suggestion. 

5 minutes ago, Josh3738 said:

If you want to make a magic, write lore for that magic. Don't try bending an old aengul who has run his course through entire eventlines already to try to eventually benefit your special snowflake subrace with its own deity magic. (Pun entirely intended.)

There's a bit of a discrepancy here. I don't care about magic, and this has nothing to do with it. This is an attempt to keep Wyrvun from being shelved by releasing the event line lore (Which is now in there, and thus will be canon), giving him the Realm, the Symbols, and the other info that other updated Aengudaemons have, and making him a somewhat functional being with something more than what can only be called "Pre-Ondnarch" lore.

6 minutes ago, Zindran said:

Fake news, the post that you linked was from 2016, the post Delmodan made was in 2017. Also, the Aspects hold dominion over nature, not the seasons/weather. Which makes it so there's no way they could have 'stolen winter' from Wyrvun. Honestly I feel like this is just something being made so the snow elves have yet another reason to hate druids.

This is also not what I intended. The reason I included mention of Cernunnos was to make clear what each was in control of - Wyrvun is the embodiment of snow and winter, Lord of the Deep Cold. "Governance", in the interpretation a dictionary offers, is the rulership of, and therefore I had to make a reason as to why Wyrvun is only ruler of a small section of winter.

This should not have any contradictions with stated Cernunnos lore, and definitely should not be taken as some way to make Snow Elves hate druids. Snow Elves have any number of reasons to hate druids, but a different fact remains - Wyrvun would have lost control of Winter, and thus it would've passsed into Cernunnos' governance, upon his fall to Ondnarch. The Snow Elves were 'created", in the lore I wrote, after his resurrection.

Even if they did hate the druids for it, there is a second fact - they can do nothing about it. Wyrvun does not even, necessarily, want them to do anything about it. It's just a fact in the past, that that "control" of Wyrvun's passed when he fell.

3 minutes ago, Edel said:

This should not have any contradictions with stated Cernunnos lore, and definitely should not be taken as some way to make Snow Elves hate druids. Snow Elves have any number of reasons to hate druids, but a different fact remains - Wyrvun would have lost control of Winter, and thus it would've passsed into Cernunnos' governance

I don't think you're understanding- Cernunnos wouldn't have even touched weather nor bothered with it. The Aspects themselves don't control the weather and they're unable to do so in any sense. Cernunnos wouldn't have even gotten involved with any of that.

1 minute ago, Aeldrin said:

In your time on LotC, you've proceeded to take Wyrvun as a personal deity of your char Zahrer, getting Wyrvun removed from the Brathmordakin so that you could sit around with your MART that allows you to talk with Wyrvun. You've been using him as your personal deity and counter this lore only because you see it is a threat to that, despite barely even playing this server anymore.

That's genuinely disgusting.

I'm glad you can take random assumptions based on nothing, my dude. Wyvrun was removed from the Brathmordakin, the DWARVEN RELIGION, by one of the High Prophets without personal intervention by any means from me and has absolutely nothing to do with you. Had you wanted to change that maybe you should have played a dwarf rather than the ruler of the snelves on different characters since Anthos. Beyond that, my character's interaction with the aengul through various eventlines has nothing to do with this lore being acceptable or not. What makes it unacceptable is the blatant changes, as you put it, simply to justify your own magic in the future as well as the various other expansions that myself, and several others, find completely unnecessary. If you want a religion around Wyvrun, fine. Make a religion. But you do not need to have canon lore just to suit your needs. If you want to try for a magic then go for it, just don't try recycling an aengul who's been MIA for that purpose.

Hello fellow youths, let's tone things down since I see things becoming rowdy and I'd hate to have to lock a thread.

5 minutes ago, Zindran said:

I don't think you're understanding- Cernunnos wouldn't have even touched weather nor bothered with it. The Aspects themselves don't control the weather and they're unable to do so in any sense. Cernunnos wouldn't have even gotten involved with any of that.

I'm not saying he bothers with the weather, but as one of the aspects that hold dominion over nature and govern the seasons, the matter of Wyrvun's title being "Lord of the Deep Cold" was one I felt should be addressed. It was meant to be a side note, honestly, and it doesn't affect any powers either have - note that I did not change any core aspects of Wyrvun, nor did I empower or weaken Cernunnos. All I did was provide a reason as to why Wyrvun is so often called the "Lord of the Deep Cold" and not "Lord of the Winter".

Just now, Edel said:

I'm not saying he bothers with the weather, but as one of the aspects that hold dominion over nature and govern the seasons, the matter of Wyrvun's title being "Lord of the Deep Cold" was one I felt should be addressed. It was meant to be a side note, honestly, and it doesn't affect any powers either have - note that I did not change any core aspects of Wyrvun, nor did I empower or weaken Cernunnos. All I did was provide a reason as to why Wyrvun is so often called the "Lord of the Deep Cold" and not "Lord of the Winter".

No. He doesn't govern the seasons.

9 minutes ago, Edel said:

-snip-

What all the druids are trying to say is that Cernunnos is not the Lord of Winter at all. The lore post that you keep looking at for Cernunnos was literally written ICly by Jallentime's druid as a book for the druid library if I remember right and for some reason was just copy and pasted onto the forums to serve as small entries for each of the Aspects. 

@Master Sage Delaselva 

AKA: no one has the title "Lord of Winter" and the only reason Wyrvun doesn't have it is because his original lore didn't put it down, choosing to give him Deep Cold or whatever instead. Cernunnos did not take the title, Cernunnos does not have the title. 

Which really, Deep Cold is a better title as to me that would not only include the snows of winter but also the icy north and south poles of worlds. Meanwhile Winter is just a lil' portion of the year that some places in the world don't even get to experience (hello rainy season and dry season people).

EDIT: Far as I know there are no Aenguls or Daemons that actually rule over a season or any season. Which makes sense as the seasons are something that happen naturally and don't need aid or regulating unlike concepts such as Justice, Purity, Illusions, etc. 

In response to popular demand (and to prevent further escalation), all mention of Cernunnos has been removed in favor of further elaborating and expanding on Wyrvun's control of the cold.

Extra response edit: Wyrvun's original lore, as written in many various forum posts and most easily found in benbo's, notes that Wyrvun was born to govern the cold. It was my mistake to include this concept so heavily.

Long ago, in ancient times when the world was young and pure, the first snows of the Deep Cold arrived. At first, the mortal races who lived beneath them marvelled at their beauty but as years passed, the cold would not release its icy grip and it held tight as many would perish. The ground froze and crops would no longer grow, as warmth and firewood became ever scarcer. Soon enough, the creator looked upon the world with pity as he saw the suffering of his people. Though without the heart to destroy such a beautiful creation, it was something with the power to destroy all life and thus needed to be controlled.

It was then that Wyrvun was created, the very embodiment of the ice cold winds and the frost that settled upon the ground. For he was the Lord of the Deep Cold and the elements of his realm each answered to his call. An Aengul of great power, at his command were all that made up the realm of ice. Such was his power that he could even contest many of the creator’s divine beings. His love for all that was of the Deep Cold was strong, and it pained him deeply that the mortal races of the world dreaded for it to begin and would soon celebrate its end.

6 minutes ago, Edel said:

Long ago, in ancient times when the world was young and pure, the first snows of the Deep Cold arrived. At first, the mortal races who lived beneath them marvelled at their beauty but as years passed, the cold would not release its icy grip and it held tight as many would perish. The ground froze and crops would no longer grow, as warmth and firewood became ever scarcer. Soon enough, the creator looked upon the world with pity as he saw the suffering of his people. Though without the heart to destroy such a beautiful creation, it was something with the power to destroy all life and thus needed to be controlled.

It was then that Wyrvun was created, the very embodiment of the ice cold winds and the frost that settled upon the ground. For he was the Lord of the Deep Cold and the elements of his realm each answered to his call. An Aengul of great power, at his command were all that made up the realm of ice. Such was his power that he could even contest many of the creator’s divine beings. His love for all that was of the Deep Cold was strong, and it pained him deeply that the mortal races of the world dreaded for it to begin and would soon celebrate its end.

thumbs-up-anime-gif-4.gif 

I like this a lot, and kinda feel like that last part really helps hint/point at him then creating the snow elves so that way there would be a mortal race that doesn't dread his beautiful creations.

Though now I'm curious about the first half, does that mean if Wyrvun hadn't been created there would have been a winter that never ended? It mentions years passing and I wasn't sure if you meant one winter that went on for years until Wyrvun brought it under control/made the cold retreat or if it was just that winter each year was really bad back then.

10 minutes ago, Aelsioln said:

thumbs-up-anime-gif-4.gif 

I like this a lot, and kinda feel like that last part really helps hint/point at him then creating the snow elves so that way there would be a mortal race that doesn't dread his beautiful creations.

Though now I'm curious about the first half, does that mean if Wyrvun hadn't been created there would have been a winter that never ended? It mentions years passing and I wasn't sure if you meant one winter that went on for years until Wyrvun brought it under control/made the cold retreat or if it was just that winter each year was really bad back then.

The text in orange was the original lore in the Aengul section of the forums, and was what led me to being confused about the state of "Governance of Seasons". I would have included it in this rewrite, but felt that it was somewhat out of the current Aengudaemon lines.

In old Aengudaemon lore, there was a lot more importance placed on there being few limiters, compared to newer lore. One of the hardest parts of writing this was trying to corral Wyrvun's pretty mysterious, expansive power set into something understandable to the average player, and which could, if necessary, be used as a baseline both for staff-run events and player-made lore pieces in the future.

Since it's pretty cool and I'd hate for the old lore to outright disappear, I used the second half as a quote from a legend.

1 hour ago, Edel said:

-snip-

Woops, my bad. I thought the orange text was the change you mentioned. Went back and reread the first post. 

I know you're not saying he is the Aengul of Purity but 

"he was called the embodiment of Purity

I'd recommend removing mention of Purity there, just cause Tahariae has been established as being rather picky of people crediting his work to anyone else (RIP Creator Clerics). Other embodiments fit much better anyways to me considering that snow and ice are very easy to make impure. 

Otherwise this looks pretty dang great to me now, I especially love the whole mention of redemption and uplifting the damned. Ties in so beautifully with his own corruption and restoration. Gonna always picture him now as this mortal loving dragon who just wants people to appreciate all the pretty snow, frost, and ice he makes! 

I don't know If some other lore rewrite cucked wyrvun while I wasn't paying attention, but there is way too much focus here on wyrvun being the snow ice whatever aengul. Wyrvun valued the purity of heart fron corruption, for obvious reasons, above all else. This was heavily intertwined with the event line I ran as well. It is, really, more true that it was ondnarch was far more focused on the deep cold than wyrvun was, and that wyrvun was instead the aengul of purity.