Automatons, Animati

GDPR 014

So we can have some Edward and Alphonse Elrics running around? If nobody does it then I'm gonna be the first to do so

Yes PLEASE 

warhammer 40k orks meks 

Kinda makes me want to make a child character who has a big-ass automaton with him 'n' stuff

Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of non-magical automatons. If they could be done at such a primitive age of technology, why don't we have them today? They're not really possible to make without a magical component. Another thing, I'm not too fond of guns and things like this. Lord of the Craft is more like Lord of the Rings than a final fantasy-themed game. 

18 hours ago, Suxals said:

The lore is excellent as always, but i do not feel that i want to see actual robots in Lotc, it just seems too steampunk and we already have plently of constructs and i think it would be an advance too big for the tech of the server which from my point of view should remain very basic.

Also this. Probably too many constructs as it is.

Edited by LeoRabbit99

12 minutes ago, LeoRabbit99 said:

It's called alchemy and fantasy science. It isn't magical per say in the LotC setting but works off scientific properties of the realm which don't exist IRL. 

17 minutes ago, LeoRabbit99 said:

Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of non-magical automatons. If they could be done at such a primitive age of technology, why don't we have them today? They're not really possible to make without a magical component. Another thing, I'm not too fond of guns and things like this. Lord of the Craft is more like Lord of the Rings than a final fantasy-themed game. 

Also this.

Fantasy. Saying we're more like lord of the rings is far from the truth: LoTC is a melting pot of witcher, dragon age,  dark soul, pathfinder, and dungeon and dragons. They can be plausible, we don't have homunculus or chimera irl, but we do on LoTC -- they arent exactly magical, and can be considered advanced science. We also have kloning and afflicted, which also isn't plausible today and can be considered "advanced".

Not steampunk. Read the lore fully before you make that assumption. At most, it's clockwork 

It's been 300+ years since Aegis, and we've lost more advanced technology than we've gained.
It's time to start gaining a few bits and 'bots.
It's nearly the year 1700! Start accepting well-written technology advancements!
Give the power to the layman!

remember when the lore team would say x piece infringes on the """"""nature"""""""" of lotc

pepperidge farm remembers

bring back that so we can have less of the weird whims like this

its cool that an inventor in the 1400s (Da Vinci) made a mechanical knight that can do various functions, which functioned off gears, ropes & pulleys and was effectively modelled after the human body. 

This automaton was able to move on its own, wave, turn its head, sit down, and lift its visor without assistance.

http://www.allonrobots.com/leonardo-da-vinci.html

Arguments that this is too high tech in a fantasy world where arcanepunk seems to be the answer to everything is laughable. That link has a functioning automaton, while not as complex as the lore's automatons (which isn't incredibly mechanically complex save for a few parts), there is still a middle ground between the two. It's fantasy, let nonmagical, fantasy automatons be possible, as it will cover more range than magical constructs. Golems, Atronachs, and Animii will effectively have a far reach compared to Golems, Atronachs, and <Insert Dark Creature #34>. Of course, while they may have a far reach, an entire robot nation will not be as likely due to limits on making humanoid automatons. If players are interested in animii, said players will gravitate towards them, otherwise seeing and interacting with them might not be as frequent one might assume.

I will now show you this: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/forum/717-recently-outdated-lore/

Currently, the LT has shelved 12 creatures: Dreadknights, Sorvians, Phantoms, Sprites, Paleknights, Keepers, Augurs, Muyakelgs, Trolls, Satyrs, Ivojur, and Cervituars. Lorebloat argument is invalid for this thing. It's unique, playable to where someone will not easily get bored of the creature (leading to activity), and has its place on LoTC. Give it a chance.  

I'm making something similar to this, in that it does use magic, but not golemancy. It's essentialy a lore-friendly, playable iron golem, made by dwarves.

Thank you for submitting your piece, it is now under review. Expect a reply within two weeks. We are trying something new so it should be sooner than that but things may go horrifically wrong so who knows.

Thread is being locked to prevent sneak edits to the lore while voting occurs as to not allow people sneaking stuff in. If you have feedback regarding the lore that you wish to pass to the LT, feel free to toss me a PM.

This construct lore differs as it has more to it than just a mindless construct, so the team is giving it a chance on the basis that it must pass an activity trial. Moved to the relevant subforum, please make sure to read up on the pinned topic covering activity trials. Trial ends in roughly 2 months from now.